PDA

View Full Version : best walkable, all around pedals?

scandy
05-14-2014, 11:38 AM
Looking for some new pedals and want something that'll take a walkable cleat, I plan on having a commuter shoe that i can wear and walk around off the bike, and a dedicated biking shoe for when im only going to be on the bike.
Also would like something that can take some dirt and junk as well, as I do a bit of gravel riding.

Was thinking the Shimano a600 looks good. Any opinions?

ThaRiddla
05-14-2014, 11:44 AM
I'd say the Shimano 540 style pedals are pretty solid. I've got CX guys all the way to the general commuter that swear by them.

I've got some Time ATACs that I love as well. Highly walkable on both ends.

Unless you need/want some sort of platform surround, you can't go wrong with either of those.

shovelhd
05-14-2014, 11:48 AM
Crank Brothers Candy and Eggbeaters have cleats that disappear in standard MTB shoes. Highly walkable.

Don49
05-14-2014, 11:57 AM
+1 on the Eggbeaters. I use them on the road with Sidi Dominators and very walkable. With aftermarket titanium axles they also build up light. Pretty much immune to mud or gravel fouling.

shovelhd
05-14-2014, 12:06 PM
Like I said, there is no best. One thing I do not like about the Eggbeaters is float. There are no stops at either end.

bking
05-14-2014, 12:11 PM
+1 on time atac,

done several multi day trips where comfortable walking was important

commonguy001
05-14-2014, 12:19 PM
I really like the newer style Crank Brothers Candy pedals. It'd been years since I'd even thought about 2 bolt cleats and pedals and I'm super happy with them now that I have them. I never liked the lack of platform on Egg Beaters but the Candies seem to have a better connection/interface with my shoes, no slop at all.

Like everyone else has said walkability is just fine. I've been using them on my touring/camping rig and my gravel bike both of which see 100+ mile rides on a fairly regular basis without an issue.

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 01:15 PM
i wear shimano goretex shoes that sorta look like low cut hiking boots i've had for maybe 5 years now and they still look pretty much new, and use Shimano XTR pedals but have also used XT in the past. I prefer shimano for their maintenance free pedals and cleats. even nasty winter salt does not bother them.

i like the goretex shoe since with heavy socks and no insole i'm good in the worst conditions in the winter and in the summer they are tolerable for the times i commute. and everything in between they nicely block the wind and rain/drip from fender.

the xt lasted about 4 years of daily commuting 100 miles a week in all conditions year round, and i finally gave them away. they were a bit rusty looking but otherwise fine.

perhaps lower models now have the same platform, but XTR and XT are fantastic and as close to a road pedal I've found as far as stable platform feel.

pdmtong
05-14-2014, 01:23 PM
everyone has a favorite mtb pedal...I chose ATAC a long time ago because the mud clearance then was superior to shimano.

that was then. now, shimano has caught up and is a great choice. I would NOT choose egg beaters - dont like the small "platform" and the shin scrapes.

Once you figure that out, consider buying a lightweight carbon mtb shoe like the race/XC s-works models from specialized. you get near road shoe weight and stiffness PLUS still walkable.

dogdriver
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
The Shimano combos are great-- I have a set on my tandem, which splits tasks between playground runs (flip flops)and "real" rides (mtb shoes). Walking in my mtb shoes is also pretty comfortable, though I wouldn't want to walk long distances in them. Eggbeaters work great, also, though I seem to prefer the Shimano disconnect. This might just be due to familiarity. No experience with other brands...

eddief
05-14-2014, 01:25 PM
They work really well for me, but I have only used them and SPD. Frogs da best.

thwart
05-14-2014, 02:11 PM
Frogs da best.

I'm with Eddie. They even make a Ti model. I mean, if you're into that sorta thing...

Bradford
05-14-2014, 02:16 PM
My bikes are all Frogs...nuthin but Frogs. Wouldn't consider riding anything else. Easy in and out, great float, easy for walking.

rodcad
05-14-2014, 02:30 PM
Looking for some new pedals and want something that'll take a walkable cleat, I plan on having a commuter shoe that i can wear and walk around off the bike, and a dedicated biking shoe for when im only going to be on the bike.
Also would like something that can take some dirt and junk as well, as I do a bit of gravel riding.

Was thinking the Shimano a600 looks good. Any opinions?

These are what I run. Love them. Seem to last forever. On my commuter I run the double sided Shimano's, SPD on one side and platform on the other.

redir
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
I've only ever used SPD's like the 540 and they would do what you want. They even make one with a platform on one side and the clip in on the other if you want to just commute on a platform pedal and wear what ever shoe you want.

ultraman6970
05-14-2014, 02:34 PM
You need mtb shoes and mtb type of pedals.

Ken Robb
05-14-2014, 02:49 PM
Performance Bikes sells a Campus Pedal that is flat on one side and takes WellGo and Shimano Mtn. cleats. I have them on my Rambouillet and they work fine.

rrudoff
05-14-2014, 06:03 PM
+1 on ATACS, With Sidi Drakos your are not giving up much on stiffness or weight, just on money

jamesutiopia
05-14-2014, 07:01 PM
Carbon sole shoes make two bolt MTB cleats just as good as traditional three bolt and Speedplay cleats (even for ultra distance events). +1 for ATAC, so though I am sure SPD and Frogs are nice as well.

Johnny P
05-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Crank brothers Candy pedals on my bikes.

josephr
05-14-2014, 08:51 PM
whatever pedal/cleat system you use isn't so much the question as the shoe choice.....touring shoes generally will have a recess for the cleat to sit down in and still have a sole that offer some flex.

start with the shoes....then pedal systems---really only a couple of choices there -- Crank Bros or the Shimano SPD system. personally, I'm a SPD guy, but that's because I started out with SPD on my mtn bikes and have carried that through to everything else.
Joe

DrSpoke
05-14-2014, 11:35 PM
I use the Shimano mtn bike system for both mtn and road and they work great. I run XT on a couple of bikes and the 540s on the rest. The pedals are a little heavier than some pure road pedals but I don't worry about that. I've used both Nashbar and Ritchey in the past.

A couple of years ago I tried Crank Bros. I wanted a system that I could use for both road and mountain. I bought two sets of Candy Ti. The first set started coming apart with less than 1,000 miles. I put the 2nd set on and they exploded out on a ride and with less than 500 miles on them. That happened about 20 miles from home and was the first time in 40 years I've ever been stranded out on the road due to a mechanical. Letters to the factory proved useless. That said, I will never buy another Crank Bros product ever. And have two pair of pedals available if anyone wants them.

Ahneida Ride
05-15-2014, 09:07 AM
Speed Play Frogs .....

But then you have to just love tons of float (I do, it works for me)

scandy
05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
I dont mind a bit of float, never having used frog's i dont know if i'd like having a TON of float.
What i dont want is freeplay, or float with no resistance.

another factor is that I want something that I can release with ease, and when I want. I dont want to have to think about it and take awhile to get the release done, i want to be able to instinctually unclip quickly because ill be in situations where i may be putting a foot down often.

eddief
05-15-2014, 11:28 AM
I never feel like my feet are floating in my Frogs. Cleats and shoes and pedals are adjusted so I ride against the stop built into the pedal, so while I am riding my feet feel clipped in as with an SPD. The good thing is you don't have to crank your ankles to get out since there is no side to side spring tension as in SPD. Just turn your foot outward from the "stopped" position and smoothly out you come.

Speed Play Frogs .....

But then you have to just love tons of float (I do, it works for me)

russ46
05-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Never tried anything else, but I've been using Crank Brothers eggbeaters for over 5 years now & still like them. I've heard some say they get hot spots on the soles of their feet during long rides but I've never had any problems - although 40mi is typically max for me. Only down side is the rebuild kits for the older style eggbeaters take a little searching now to find and they do seem to require fairly frequent repair. I've heard the new style has better seals but my current set haven't caused me enough heartburn to want to change.

chwupper
05-15-2014, 01:55 PM
Is there any difference between the two-bolt cleats used for ATAC pedals versus crank brothers?

veloduffer
05-15-2014, 04:53 PM
I use the Shimano A520 on my road bikes, which is a touring pedal and light weight. They are often on sale at Nashbar for around $50-60. I also use the A530 that has a wide BMX pedal on one side and SPD on the other for mtb and hybrid bikes.

gaucho753
05-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Shimano PD-M324 may be worth considering as well. Similar to the A520, these offer spd on one side and a standard platform pedal on the other. I haven't tried the A520 (which seems a little more streamlined) but the M324 models has a very nice, wide, secure platform if you ever plan to ride the bike without cleats.

And they are on sale: http://www.amazon.com/Shimano-PD-M324-Clipless-Clip-Pedals/dp/B001AT33CW

travis bickle
05-15-2014, 06:21 PM
My daughter has a pair of Shimano 530 pedals (platform on one side and SPD on the other) and likes them. One side for going to the grocery store and one for serious rides.

martl
05-15-2014, 07:03 PM
Crank Brothers Candy and Eggbeaters have cleats that disappear in standard MTB shoes. Highly walkable.

Same is true for Shimano MTB SPDs. Which is why i stacked up on original Dura Ace SPDs (74xx series). Darn pretty, too.

http://fstatic1.rennrad-news.de/img/photos/2/0/9/0/_/large/pbc.jpg?0 (http://fotos.rennrad-news.de/p/146336)

Also, Sidi sells MTB shoes that don't look out of place on a racer.

http://autobus.cyclingnews.com/photos/2007/tech/quickspin/09-19b/sidi_eagle6_pair.jpg

thirdgenbird
05-15-2014, 07:21 PM
I must see more pics of that bike.

Rada
05-15-2014, 07:35 PM
I use the Shimano A520 on my road bikes, which is a touring pedal and light weight. They are often on sale at Nashbar for around $50-60. I also use the A530 that has a wide BMX pedal on one side and SPD on the other for mtb and hybrid bikes.

Chain Reaction has the A520 on sale for $38.49 with free shipping. Picked up a pair yesterday.