PDA

View Full Version : Wheels: Help me decide. Please.

makoti
05-13-2014, 05:29 PM
I know this has been somewhat covered here, but it's the interwebs. What else do we have to do? ;)
I have the chance to get a set of HED Ardennes SL 2014's for a pretty good price. I have also been quoted a custom build for Pacenti SL23's w/WI T11's OR CK r45's for what amounts to $100 either way from what the Hed's will run.

I really like the look of the Hed's. I like the idea of the wider rims on both, but wonder if I'd notice 23 vs. 24 width (either in feel or ease of swapping between other sets) . I've read horror stories about getting tires onto the Pacenti's. And I've heard bad things about the hubs the Heds are built around.
Opinions? Strong feelings on either? Any I-hate-both-choices-get-this-instead's?

I weigh about 155. The main thing I want these for is climbing/descending and some training (I have two PT wheels for the bulk of my training). No gravel/off-road likely. Light is a plus. A little bit aero would be a nice bonus.
Thanks so much, folks. Choosing the bike was easy. Wheels are hard.

Tony T
05-13-2014, 05:34 PM
I've not had any problems with the HED hub's. Easy to service the rear hub, and they run silent. (I have the Ardennes SL)
The 24's are great as you only need to use 80-90psi.

bicycletricycle
05-13-2014, 05:40 PM
I'd go for the T11 on pacenti (or TB14s)

I don't think you'll feel the 1mm in rim width

White hubs are great and are made in the us and supported for a long time after model changes which is not for repairs. Also I like wheels that use spokes that can purchased easily.

JLP
05-13-2014, 05:51 PM
It's all about whether or not you can change a tire with the Pacenti. I know what I'm supposed to do, but I can't change flats easily with the tubeless compatible Pacentis. Some of my friends have no problem at all, and they were very happy to get my rims. I find the Hed Belgiums just great, and the White Industry hubs are fantastic.

(I've seen all the threads about how to mount tires on the Pacentis, and I know all these folk make it work, but it doesn't work for me.)

makoti
05-13-2014, 05:54 PM
I've not had any problems with the HED hub's. Easy to service the rear hub, and they run silent. (I have the Ardennes SL)
The 24's are great as you only need to use 80-90psi.

What are you running on the SL's? Tire & pressure?

firerescuefin
05-13-2014, 05:56 PM
Ardennes are one of the best "wheels outta boxes" options out there. Just a great set of wheels….and look downright mean.

That being said, WI or CK hubs mated to the Pacenti rim with a spoke count and spoke choice based on your type of riding would be too hard for me to pass on.

Tony T
05-13-2014, 06:08 PM
What are you running on the SL's? Tire & pressure?

I run the Conti 4000s. I inflate to 95psi

echelon_john
05-13-2014, 06:19 PM
Love HED rims, but the hubs are pretty weak. You should be able to do HED rims on the hub of your choice, with the spoke count of your choice, for very similar $$ to the Pacentis. If you're worried about tight tires on the Pacentis, that's what I would recommend, although I've mounted tires on them with minimal issues.

dsimon
05-13-2014, 06:38 PM
R45's

Tony
05-13-2014, 06:39 PM
Ardennes are one of the best "wheels outta boxes" options out there. Just a great set of wheels….and look downright mean.

That being said, WI or CK hubs mated to the Pacenti rim with a spoke count and spoke choice based on your type of riding would be too hard for me to pass on.

This

I have both Ardennes and Pacenti w/Tune hub. I like both. For the money the Ardennes have been great! BUT, if its only a $100 more to with Pacenti and or WI/CK hubs I'd go for custom.

makoti
05-13-2014, 06:42 PM
Love HED rims, but the hubs are pretty weak. You should be able to do HED rims on the hub of your choice, with the spoke count of your choice, for very similar $$ to the Pacentis. If you're worried about tight tires on the Pacentis, that's what I would recommend, although I've mounted tires on them with minimal issues.

Given this option a lot of thought, too, but C2's are only available down to 24 hole. Wanted to go with 20/24 or 20/28.

hida yanra
05-13-2014, 06:51 PM
I'd go with the T11 option, with the rims you mention, Kinlins, or HED C2s-
I've owned basically all the above, have loved all of them.

Additionally, the HED hubs aren't that great, better than OEM, but not great.

echelon_john
05-13-2014, 06:53 PM
4 spokes w/nipples=28g.

Given this option a lot of thought, too, but C2's are only available down to 24 hole. Wanted to go with 20/24 or 20/28.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Love my Pacenti/CK. You won't be sorry either way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedRider
05-13-2014, 09:02 PM
Those are both good options but your tire selection and amount of air pressure will make the biggest difference.

Ozrider
05-13-2014, 09:10 PM
Tough choice, they are all excellent options.
I really like CK hubs, but WI are also very good although slightly heavier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Orville
05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
HED Belgium + laced to ck r45. You can get chris king to build them for you shipped to your local shop for 1000. Forever hubs and a very good 25mm wide rim that's tubeless ready. With 23mm tires, the profile is very nice, can't wait to wear out my 23s so I can swap to 25 tubeless.

Kirk Pacenti
05-13-2014, 09:17 PM
Feel free to call me anytime, I would be happy to discuss. Fwiw, the SL23 is actually 24mm wide.

Cheers,
KP

makoti
05-14-2014, 12:07 AM
Feel free to call me anytime, I would be happy to discuss. Fwiw, the SL23 is actually 24mm wide.

Cheers,
KP

Thank you, Kirk. I may take you up on that. Now let's see if I get the same offer from Steve Hed. ;)
I do know that your rim is 24mm. One of the questions I had was if (or maybe HOW would have been better) I would feel the difference & if I would have more difficulty going back & forth between wheelsets (thinking brake adjustments, but any other issues, too).

bikser
05-14-2014, 10:55 AM
I had the Ardennes Sl's, last year, regret selling them. Best factory wheel I've owned (for the pricepoint), can't go wrong there. I've had two sets of wheel's with the Pacenti SL23's rims recently. Excellent, but I couldn't tell a difference between the 1mm width difference. Yes, new tires were extremely difficult (Continentals) to get on, older tires were a little easier. You can't go wrong with any of the options you're looking at.

muchness
05-15-2014, 02:52 AM
I rode Belgiums on 7900 hubs 24/28 for a bit over a year. They laced up incredibly well and barely required any adjustment to put them back into relative perfection when it was time to let them go.

I can't wait to someday build a set of R45 to Belgiums or Belgiums +

I've got an older pair of WI hubs on a trial tubular wheelset, they look like they'll last a few more decades.