PDA

View Full Version : Campy 10 rear shifting issue

Black Dog
05-13-2014, 09:41 AM
:confused:

OK. I am running 2008 vintage chorus group with very low miles (less than 2000km). I am having rear shifting issues that I can not resolve for the life of me. Here is the problem and what I have tried.

* Shifts perfectly going up to larger cogs.

* Shifting to smaller cogs it over shifts (drops too much like it wants to go two cogs down per click). A small push of the paddle on the shifter and it moves the chain back into alignment.

* I have replaced all the cables inner and outer with campy cables and housing (4mm shifter housing) and run the housing from both front and back of the shifter. Teflon tubes under the BB or guide with very low friction. Oh yea, on two different bikes; same issue. All cable housings cut straight and smooth etc…

The only thing that seems odd is that the 1st shift from the smallest cog feels very light in the shifter and the rest seem normal with a nice positive click. Perhaps the issue is in the shifter.

I run 11 speed campy and have never had an issue with set up. I used to wrench for a shop (many moons ago) and do all my own wrenching. This one has me banging my head. :help:

ultraman6970
05-13-2014, 09:47 AM
IMO the carrier in the shift lever is cracked, you have the usual kind'a ghost shifting that happens with the carrier tabs are going south.

Will sound dumb but you never know ok? wonder if you put the front derailleur lever to the rear derailleur :)

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 09:48 AM
:confused:

OK. I am running 2008 vintage chorus group with very low miles (less than 2000km). I am having rear shifting issues that I can not resolve for the life of me. Here is the problem and what I have tried.

* Shifts perfectly going up to larger cogs.

* Shifting to smaller cogs it over shifts (drops too much like it wants to go two cogs down per click). A small push of the paddle on the shifter and it moves the chain back into alignment.

* I have replaced all the cables inner and outer with campy cables and housing (4mm shifter housing) and run the housing from both front and back of the shifter. Teflon tubes under the BB or guide with very low friction. Oh yea, on two different bikes; same issue. All cable housings cut straight and smooth etc…

The only thing that seems odd is that the 1st shift from the smallest cog feels very light in the shifter and the rest seem normal with a nice positive click. Perhaps the issue is in the shifter.

I run 11 speed campy and have never had an issue with set up. I used to wrench for a shop (many moons ago) and do all my own wrenching. This one has me banging my head. :help:

I'd bet you have a broken spring carrier. I think it's split, makes for light shifts and hard to adjust rear. Easy to OVH, parts are about $15(fiber/ultra spring carrier), do the shift springs too(about $5 per-2 of them).

Hard to tell w/o taking it apart. Not hard, many vids, including Campagnolo's own, online or see a Campagnolo Pro Shop(although even one in the republic send their levers to Vecchio's).

Another OBTW, on these levers, best to use 5mm der housing and metal(brass is best) ferrules. Works better, longer.

djdj
05-13-2014, 10:59 AM
Not doubting Potatoe's experience, but why does Campag make its der. housing in 4mm?

Gat64
05-13-2014, 11:30 AM
I am about to tackle a rebuild with my 2003 Chorus ergos as I have a similar problem. Very little throw needed when shifting which often results with moving up or down too many.

I have never dealt with these guys, but they have a nice page which lists all the parts with diagrams: http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Not doubting Potatoe's experience, but why does Campag make its der. housing in 4mm?

Cuz in 2009 you had to use 4mm in the lever, no ferrule. It used to be about 4.5mm but 2008 and older, 5mm works best.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 11:52 AM
I am about to tackle a rebuild with my 2003 Chorus ergos as I have a similar problem. Very little throw needed when shifting which often results with moving up or down too many.

I have never dealt with these guys, but they have a nice page which lists all the parts with diagrams: http://branfordbike.com/articles/campagnolo-ergo-lever-parts-1998-2008-pg71.htm

Jim@vecchios.com has them all and he won't try to sell you something you don't need...like b-ford.

Lewis Moon
05-13-2014, 11:55 AM
Jim@vecchios.com has them all and he won't try to see you something you don't need...like b-ford.

Jim is a great guy to work with.

Gat64
05-13-2014, 11:58 AM
Jim@vecchios.com has them all and he won't try to see you something you don't need...like b-ford.

Good to know. Thanks.

Black Dog
05-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Jim@vecchios.com has them all and he won't try to sell you something you don't need...like b-ford.

Thanks op. I will tear it apart and see what is going on in there. I was reluctant to assume shifter failure with so few miles. I am using brass ferrules.

Will Jim ship the parts to Canada?

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks op. I will tear it apart and see what is going on in there. I was reluctant to assume shifter failure with so few miles. I am using brass ferrules.

Will Jim ship the parts to Canada?

Sure to Canada, eh?

Seen them break with less milage. Find an 'ultra' spring carrier, splits less often. But springs and spring carrier kinda a flaw fixed with Ultrashift.. No springs, no spring carrier...nothing that really breaks. Nice design, IMHO.

Black Dog
05-13-2014, 12:46 PM
Sure to Canada, eh?

Seen them break with less milage. Find an 'ultra' spring carrier, splits less often. But springs and spring carrier kinda a flaw fixed with Ultrashift.. No springs, no spring carrier...nothing that really breaks. Nice design, IMHO.

Thanks eh. I will strip it down and get in touch with him for the parts eh. The shifter is an ultra and I hope the new carrier lasts a few mile longer. Glad to finally send business to Vecchios.