PDA

View Full Version : Record 11 FD Shifting Issues

r_mutt
05-13-2014, 05:39 AM
I have two bikes and one of them has had issues with the change from the 39 to the 53 from new. It is very reluctant to change up to the 53 from the 39- especially when i'm in the higher gears (16-11). To get it to change sometimes I have to resort to changing to a lower gear (a 18-21) and only then will it change into the 53. I initially thought the chain ring was the issue- so i swapped out the chain rings via warranty for another set but still the problems remain. it's possible that my Quarq has a bent spider (it's been doing this since day 1) or maybe the Praxisworks chain rings that everyone raves about are terrible. I've had 5 different mechanics look at it but no one can seem to fix it.

Recently, after looking at my Chorus equipped bike, I've noticed that the FD's seem to be lined up a bit differently. The chorus equipped bike seems to have a similar constant distance between the FD bracket and the chain rings while the Record bike appears to have the front of the bracket very close, but as it move backward, the space between the bracket and the chain ring gets larger. I've looked around for pics on the internet, and it seems that this is not normal. have a look at the pics. does this seem right?

Tony T
05-13-2014, 06:12 AM
Set (or re-set) from:
http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/documenti/en/Frontderailleur_EN_Rev02_02_14.pdf

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 06:17 AM
I have two bikes and one of them has had issues with the change from the 39 to the 53 from new. It is very reluctant to change up to the 53 from the 39- especially when i'm in the higher gears (16-11). To get it to change sometimes I have to resort to changing to a lower gear (a 18-21) and only then will it change into the 53. I initially thought the chain ring was the issue- so i swapped out the chain rings via warranty for another set but still the problems remain. it's possible that my Quarq has a bent spider (it's been doing this since day 1) or maybe the Praxisworks chain rings that everyone raves about are terrible. I've had 5 different mechanics look at it but no one can seem to fix it.

Recently, after looking at my Chorus equipped bike, I've noticed that the FD's seem to be lined up a bit differently. The chorus equipped bike seems to have a similar constant distance between the FD bracket and the chain rings while the Record bike appears to have the front of the bracket very close, but as it move backward, the space between the bracket and the chain ring gets larger. I've looked around for pics on the internet, and it seems that this is not normal. have a look at the pics. does this seem right?

Seat tube angle, brazeon location, often will resort in the tail of the FD much higher when compared to chainring than the front of the FD and it can have an effect on Fder shifting. There are shims made(sram makes some) that will rotate the fder more along the CR line.

Tony T
05-13-2014, 06:46 AM
Related article: http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Front_Derailleur_How-To_3775.html

Rotor USA also makes FD shims.
6mm (Out of Stock) http://www.cart32hostingred.com/cgi-bin/cart32.exe/ROTORCOMPONENTSLLC-store?catid=258866100&prodid=258889620

bewheels
05-13-2014, 07:47 AM
Would agree with the shims but if it were me I would put the crank with rings in question on the other bike to see how it performs.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Would agree with the shims but if it were me I would put the crank with rings in question on the other bike to see how it performs.

Gotta agree. Campagnolo CRs perform very well, IME, some not nearly as well, particularly small to big ring. Toughest shift, the one where fder positioning, CR stiffness, etc, is most critical.

soulspinner
05-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Gotta agree. Campagnolo CRs perform very well, IME, some not nearly as well, particularly small to big ring. Toughest shift, the one where fder positioning, CR stiffness, etc, is most critical.

This

RedRider
05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
Looks like you have a lot going on with a Campy spindle, Quarq powermeter and Praxis rings...

lhuerta
05-13-2014, 09:36 AM
...it is also possible that your Quarq equipped bike has a bent or misaligned front der tab (perhaps riveted incorrectly), yielding the misalignment. As mentioned above, the easy work around is a shim. In the interim, try dropping the cage a bit to be within about 1.5-2 mm from top of chainrings, in order to get the max purchase on your chain when shifting from small to big. I would suggest the same for your Chorus as it seems rather high. Lou

ultraman6970
05-13-2014, 09:44 AM
To me both FDs are set too high.

shovelhd
05-13-2014, 11:45 AM
To me both FDs are set too high.

I use a penny as a gauge but I am not on Campy.

vqdriver
05-13-2014, 12:49 PM
you can try swapping the fd and see what happens?? if you suspect the crank, you could swap the cranks between bikes?

ultraman6970
05-13-2014, 01:22 PM
Those two FD are way over 3 mm in the pictures, I would adjust those 1st.

r_mutt
05-13-2014, 09:29 PM
Those two FD are way over 3 mm in the pictures, I would adjust those 1st.

thanks- i think that is the first step.

i was trying to avoid that, but maybe it's step 2.

Seat tube angle, brazeon location, often will resort in the tail of the FD much higher when compared to chainring than the front of the FD and it can have an effect on Fder shifting. There are shims made(sram makes some) that will rotate the fder more along the CR line.

i guess then if all else fails, this is most likely the culprit.

as far as CR's go, i agree, the best 39/53 change i ever had was when i was running CR's. the only reason i switched was to get a power meter on a campy-equipped BB30 bike without resorting to buying an SRM. i noticed a huge difference when i went to an FSA BB30 cranks and CR. i hated it. i've been looking for a way to get back to using a campy crank and now with the OT cranks and the garmin vectors, i'll have it on my next build.

thanks for all the responses guys. i will keep you updated on my findings.

thirdgenbird
05-13-2014, 09:33 PM

I use a penny with campagnolo 10. The sane coin gets used to but bars in quill stems.

ultraman6970
05-13-2014, 10:33 PM
Totally forgot about that coin :)

I use a penny with campagnolo 10. The sane coin gets used to but bars in quill stems.

thirdgenbird
05-13-2014, 10:50 PM
My thumbs and iphone keyboard are not completely compatible.