PDA

View Full Version : I heart Craigslist

flydhest
05-12-2014, 07:07 PM
I have two wine cabinets that we can't use due to space and child constraints. Post free giveaway on Craigslist and 10 minutes later, four people interested.

Cicli
05-12-2014, 07:09 PM
I have had great luck giving stuff away on CL.

Now, hope someone actually shows up. I have had to give some crap away 3 or 4 times before someone shows up.

paredown
05-13-2014, 06:19 AM
Me too!

We've been working on a remodel for what seems like forever--Craigslist has been the source of a lot of the great stuff we have put into the house--like the entrance door that we would otherwise not been able to afford.

It has also been great for getting rid of stuff that we were not going to use, like the old cast bathtub, the original range, washer, dryer etc. Some free, som nominal prices (I find this works better than free...)

We're not getting rich on what we sell things for, but it keeps things out of the landfill.

rnhood
05-13-2014, 06:37 AM
There are other avenues to get rid of stuff in DC. When my sister lived there, and purchased a new refrigerator, she put the old one in the box that the new one came in and then put it out back in the alley way of her DC town home. One hour later it was gone. Of course this route doesn't produce income.

Having said this, Craigslist does appear to work well.

flydhest
05-13-2014, 09:57 AM
the DC convention of putting stuff out is great. All neighborhoods, Georgetown to Shaw, this happens.

burntstew
05-13-2014, 07:55 PM
Craigslists is also awesome for getting rid of old furniture and stuff in general. I Managed to get rid of a house of old furniture after college in a matter of days.

If you're ever thinking about taking some old furniture to the dump, try posting it on craigslist first. Might as well put your old stuff to good use.

AngryScientist
05-13-2014, 08:05 PM
the best part is the comedy of errors that ensues when you give something big away and people come to get it with modes of transportation that have no business moving anything bigger than a suitcase. fridge strapped to the roof of a civic hatch, sure!

Dead Man
05-13-2014, 08:21 PM
I cleaned out my garage a few months ago and had a bunch of miscellaneous heavy, often metal, pieces of crap that I was not looking forward to dragging to the dump. I posted on our local Facebook Buy-Sell-Trade page and basically everything was gone in 24 hours. I still had to make a dump run, but it was a couple cardboard boxes full instead of a whole truck load, and only cost me the $20 minimum.

I would imagine there are similar FB pages just about everywhere.... nice compliment to craigs.

File cabinets, shelves and brackets, scrap wood, big POS dressers that were all musty and funky from sitting in a cold garage for several winters.... all gone to happy new owners. Or scrappers.

Dead Man
05-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Just don't let 'em see your bikes.

pdmtong
05-14-2014, 09:26 AM
Just don't let 'em see your bikes.

Exacty. Residential burglaries are up in the past 18 months.

I am all for give away not land fill but you gotta be smart since sometimes the people who can only afford free you don't want coming by your home