View Full Version : So I finally have to replace my assos uno s5

Likes2ridefar
05-12-2014, 06:58 PM

Black Dog
05-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Why not buy another pair of S5 shorts?

FlashUNC
05-12-2014, 10:10 PM
Plenty of S5 shorts on closeout. If it ain't broke.

Likes2ridefar
05-13-2014, 05:01 AM
Plenty of S5 shorts on closeout. If it ain't broke.

Haven't seen my size anywhere in all black.

bocarider
05-13-2014, 02:28 PM
I am a huge fan of the 5's but needed to replace one of mine. The guy at Competitive Cyclist convinced me to try the 7’s as they are supposed to be an upgrade from the 5’s . This was, of course, a disaster. The first pair got sent back as the stitching at the yoke for the shoulder straps was digging into the skin next to my shoulder blades like barbed wire. That pair did not make it out on the bike. Set number two had better stitching (but I still felt it a little) but the new purple chamois is terrible. They changed both the shape and the size. After about 20 minutes into a 3 hour ride, the whole chamois had shifted to the left. My wife, who was drafting off of me, actually noticed this condition and commented that it looked uncomfortable and she could see the chamois had pulled over to the left side of my butt. That pair is going back as well.

I wrote a pretty snarky email to Assos pointing out what I see as design fails in this iteration of their top end bib short. Sadly, the only 5’s I can find are white and we all know that you don’t wear while cycling shorts.

I guess it's time to try Rapha...

Likes2ridefar
05-13-2014, 02:35 PM

FlashUNC
05-13-2014, 03:08 PM
The Q36.5 guys are some ex-Assos folks, if I remember correctly. Not sure about these new shorts from them, but may be Assos-ish...

http://www.q36-5.com/content/en-1/home-q36-5.html

parallelfish
05-13-2014, 05:43 PM
Never wore the S5 shorts, but have been using the S7 Equipe for the past six weeks. For me, they have been the most comfortable shorts I have ever worn. More than satisfied.

572cv
05-13-2014, 08:48 PM
I haven't ever sprung for Assos shorts, but this thread makes me wonder what brands have been both durable and comfortable for forumites? I got some PI shorts that had panel deterioration within a year.... same as a no name brand I had previously. Last year at this time I thought I was upgrading to some nice Castelli shorts, but they are failing similarly, and will be pretty thin by the end of the season. So that's only two years.
I guess I am at a point where I'm happy to spend a little more if it provides value.

Louis
05-13-2014, 08:57 PM
I got some PI shorts that had panel deterioration within a year....

Did they rub on the saddle? I have a whole bunch of PI's that have lasted years and years. No problems with the Lycra panels. For me the failure mode is that eventually the pad goes soft and after 30 minutes or so I get a sharp pain at my sit bones. But only after many, many comfortable miles.

FlashUNC
05-13-2014, 09:52 PM
I haven't ever sprung for Assos shorts, but this thread makes me wonder what brands have been both durable and comfortable for forumites? I got some PI shorts that had panel deterioration within a year.... same as a no name brand I had previously. Last year at this time I thought I was upgrading to some nice Castelli shorts, but they are failing similarly, and will be pretty thin by the end of the season. So that's only two years.
I guess I am at a point where I'm happy to spend a little more if it provides value.

Assos.

don compton
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
I never thought that I would pay $189 ( excel price) for a pair of shorts. But, after suffering through some crotch problems, a combination of my new Specialized Romin saddle and Assos s5 shorts, I am back to riding( forget about it) comfort. I guess I should buy one more pair.

DRZRM
05-13-2014, 10:25 PM
R&A seems to have all sizes of the black Assos Uno S5 in stock on sale. Link (http://www.racycles.com/products/detail/29003). Found some better deals on the mediums at BikeBling (http://www.bikebling.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Assos-TFIUno-S5-BibShorts&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc_feed&utm_campaign=comparison_shopping_feeds&gclid=CMXfi6O7qr4CFbTm7Aod2UsA2g).

If they work for you, stock up before they go away.

572cv
05-14-2014, 07:02 AM
Did they rub on the saddle? I have a whole bunch of PI's that have lasted years and years. No problems with the Lycra panels. For me the failure mode is that eventually the pad goes soft and after 30 minutes or so I get a sharp pain at my sit bones. But only after many, many comfortable miles.

The pad never bothered. The problem is with the lycra panels, or whatever they are made of. They don't tear, but lose their substance, as it were, and one ends up with TBS and TTS (translucent butt syndrome, translucent thigh syndrome), which come under the heading of 'too much information' for onlookers.:)

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 09:10 AM

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 09:13 AM

HillDancer
05-14-2014, 10:08 AM
I recommend trying Voler's Black Label (http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110554)BibShort as an alternative. Unlike some product reviewers the Power Band keeps the short secure on my legs and it is the most comfortable leg band I've experienced; no skin welts. Voler online coupons are available.

DRZRM
05-14-2014, 10:15 AM
Sorry about that, I didn't try to add the sizes, bad site design. Now I'm determined. Try Chain Reaction (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/assos-t-fi-uno-s5-logo-bib-short/rp-prod31921) seems to have 5+ pair in large @ $183.59. Free shipping. It is a good shop, I've ordered from them before. Shiny bikes seems to have them in stock too, but I've never shopped there.

thanks but i wear size L and they are out of stock in black.

Rubeboy
05-14-2014, 10:26 AM
I just got another pair of S5 Uno at Chainlove for 115. They only had a few left, but in every size. Keep an eye open there.
I too have had great luck with the longevity and fit of Assos.

buldogge
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
I agree with this…

+ any Capo bib (mid-high) with the D4 or Multi-D chamois…SC or GS series, generally speaking.

-Mark in St. Louis

I recommend trying Voler's Black Label (http://www.voler.com/browse/product/li/1110554)BibShort as an alternative. Unlike some product reviewers the Power Band keeps the short secure on my legs and it is the most comfortable leg band I've experienced; no skin welts. Voler online coupons are available.

champ
05-14-2014, 10:56 AM
I used the S5 Uno, Mille and 607 for a few years and they are great shorts BUT the S7's are very much improved especially in the chamois. Very little friction and movement in the chamois compared to the S5.

I suggest the Equipe model (very similar to the F1.13 cut) for guys who are slim/race and the Neo Pro as a replacement for the Uno. The S7 Cento replaces the Mille and is a good choice for larger riders.

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 12:56 PM

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 12:59 PM

druptight
05-14-2014, 02:22 PM
S5 up on chainlove right now.

Likes2ridefar
05-14-2014, 02:23 PM

bocarider
05-15-2014, 09:57 AM
Sorry about that, I didn't try to add the sizes, bad site design. Now I'm determined. Try Chain Reaction (http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/assos-t-fi-uno-s5-logo-bib-short/rp-prod31921) seems to have 5+ pair in large @ $183.59. Free shipping. It is a good shop, I've ordered from them before. Shiny bikes seems to have them in stock too, but I've never shopped there.

Dude - thanks for the tip. I just grabbed 2 sets!

druptight
05-21-2014, 01:21 PM
Just got my set of these S05 Uno bibs from chainlove, and it's the first piece of assos I've ever gotten (pun intended).

It's obvious from the get-go that they spend some chunk of that huge cost on their packaging. There's about a tree's worth of paper between the huge flip open box with a box inside it with a full booklet brochure. It's sort of like opening up apple product.

I still have to judge if all this packaging hype is matched by the feel of the bibs, will wear them on the ride home from work today.