PDA

View Full Version : Newbie question: tubes/valve extenders

joep2517
05-12-2014, 09:04 AM
I've purchased a pair of November Rail 52s and was wondering what is the best solution for the inner tube? Do I go with a tube with a 60mm stem? I think that will be too short. Or an 82mm stem? If so, are they easy to find? Or do I go with a valve extender? Are there any negatives to a valve extender?

Thanks!

oldpotatoe
05-12-2014, 09:15 AM
I've purchased a pair of November Rail 52s and was wondering what is the best solution for the inner tube? Do I go with a tube with a 60mm stem? I think that will be too short. Or an 82mm stem? If so, are they easy to find? Or do I go with a valve extender? Are there any negatives to a valve extender?

Thanks!

80mm stem tubes can be challenging to find. You can also replace the core with an extender, if it has removable cores. Last resort are screw on extenders, which work but may leak around the pump/head when using. Teflon tape when you install.

ultratoad
05-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Go with the 80's they are the perfect length for a 50mm rim depth. The 80's aren't exactly an off the shelf item. I get mine from Western Bike Works in Oregon (awesome web seller). Make sure you keep a couple of extras around--or keep an extender for emergencies.

joep2517
05-12-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks guys. Ultratoad, I checked Western Bike Works' site and ordered some tubes. Thanks!

shovelhd
05-12-2014, 10:32 AM
I used to use the 80mm tubes but now use 38mm Continental tubes with 40mm aluminum extenders. They're lighter and I can use the tubes for other wheels.

carpediemracing
05-12-2014, 10:44 AM
I need to take a picture but I prefer to have valves that end such that the nib to close the valve is barely exposed. This way I can close the valve but it doesn't stick out.

I use an extender to inflate the tire, remove the extender, and close the nib.

For the Jet 6 I use a 60mm valve. For the Jet 9 I use an 80mm valve. Both are stock Bontrager items, I bought something like 20 or more tubes at a Trek store while on a training trip (36mm, 48mm, 60mm, and 80mm valve tubes). That trip was in 2011 and I still have a bunch of tubes left.

carpediemracing
05-12-2014, 12:06 PM
80 mm valve in a Jet 9:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-4CkDedsU-YU/U3DtZ_nw57I/AAAAAAAAGbc/0_w0ToZcbuU/s800/0512141145a.jpg

60 mm valve in a Jet 6:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-sOigwCjcNTU/U3DtWzxy7oI/AAAAAAAAGbU/xUoLhW8j2KA/s800/0512141145b.jpg

oldpotatoe
05-12-2014, 02:21 PM
I need to take a picture but I prefer to have valves that end such that the nib to close the valve is barely exposed. This way I can close the valve but it doesn't stick out.

For the Jet 6 I use a 60mm valve. For the Jet 9 I use an 80mm valve. Both are stock Bontrager items, I bought something like 20 or more tubes at a Trek store while on a training trip (36mm, 48mm, 60mm, and 80mm valve tubes). That trip was in 2011 and I still have a bunch of tubes left.

Don't loose that extender or you will be SOL. Why the nipp only? Aero-ness, weight? Hope not.

rice rocket
05-12-2014, 02:24 PM

Haha, why even have it stick out then? The valve is closed my air pressure mostly.

Get 40mm and put a piece of tape over the hole.

carpediemracing
05-12-2014, 04:27 PM
Don't loose that extender or you will be SOL. Why the nipp only? Aero-ness, weight? Hope not.

Because it looks cleaner. Also, sort of significantly, 80mm valves are the longest I could easily find, and it makes it easy to put an extender on it (because it sticks out just a bit). Much easier than putting an extender on a valve that's buried in the rim.

I only train on those wheels so I have that valve extender on my bike. I also carry extras in my race bag because two of my race wheels need them (and I leave them on the wheels). I try to be prepared, hence all the stuff I carry on a training ride.

Two other race wheels have ridiculously long valves, I just left them there (I got the wheels used). The final race wheel I haven't re-glued the tire so although it has a long valve I don't know what it'll end up looking like.

Haha, why even have it stick out then? The valve is closed my air pressure mostly.

Get 40mm and put a piece of tape over the hole.

From above: "sort of significantly, 80mm valves are the longest I could easily find, and it makes it easy to put an extender on it (because it sticks out just a bit). Much easier than putting an extender on a valve that's buried in the rim."

I've had tires deflate on me when the nib was left unscrewed. Not sure why so I prefer to be safe. Theories are it hit the rim inside, hit a bad bump just right, etc, but whatever the reason air came out of the tire.

For "important" races (not many of them anymore) I'll actually carefully tighten the valve on the wheels where I don't have optimum length (on the Stinger 6s I have stock/short valves).

Aerodynamically I tend to ignore the holes in the rim, even for the valve on a TriSpoke wheel, just like I'd ignore a valve sticking out more.