PDA

View Full Version : Hit by car on Saturday

TimS
05-12-2014, 06:55 AM
Was in two way traffic riding up to a traffic light following a car closely to catch the left turn close on his back wheel. Car I was following accelerated and left me exposed in the middle of the road. Nearly cleared the light but was hit on the back wheel. Went flying into the middle of the intersection.

Here is the weird part. Not a scratch on me and there were two police men within 20 feet of where it happened able to stop traffic so I didn't get hit while I was in the middle of the road. Both that and no injuries is a miracle.

As for the Atlanta, not to bad. Wheel wobbles (have extra set). Handle bars took the hit and are beat up a bit. Hanger bent and has to be realigned.

All in all not too bad. Lucky.

JasonF
05-12-2014, 07:42 AM
Wow, you are lucky to get through that unscathed. Since you are 100% ok, let's focus on the bike:

1. have the driver's insurer pay for a new wheel (or wheelset);
2. have the frame/fork/components checked by a very reputable shop or even better a framebuilder. Personally, I would fight for replacement reimbursement due to the bent hangar. Sure steel can be cold-set but if the accident wasn't your fault, you should be made whole.;
3. take your time with the driver's insurance company and make sure you have no injuries that could take days/weeks to manifest.

This assumes that the driver is at-fault and that you didn't run a yellow/red light.

tiretrax
05-12-2014, 08:59 AM
Glad you're ok. The bike is replaceable.

William
05-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Happy you are okay man!

Sucks about the bike, but parts are easier to replace compared to setting bones and healing up.

William

MattTuck
05-12-2014, 09:38 AM
Glad that it isn't more serious and that you're pretty much ok.

Hopefully the driver's insurance will pick up the cost of the repairs. I've been in similar situations where you're forced to ride in traffic and use cars to set 'picks' (if you pardon the basketball reference) -- I much prefer riding open country roads :)

dpk501
05-12-2014, 01:53 PM
Glad you're okay!!

druptight
05-12-2014, 02:13 PM
Was in two way traffic riding up to a traffic light following a car closely to catch the left turn close on his back wheel. Car I was following accelerated and left me exposed in the middle of the road.

This scenario presents itself fairly often, I find. I'm always extremely cautious because I fear this exact thing happening. I usually do my best to sit up very tall if behind a turning vehicle (to increase visibility of myself to oncoming traffic), and usually don't try to tuck myself in and sneak through with the car for fear of this happening. Based on you're description, I'm assuming an oncoming car hit your back wheel? If they were going straight and you were turning in front of them, I'd be surprised if insurance didn't find you at fault for turning in front of them - or am I misunderstanding the situation?

I find this scenario also happens if I'm going straight and there's a car waiting to turn across. If you're too close behind the car in front of you (also going straight) that turning car and try to sneak through right behind the car and not realize you're tucked in there.

Glad you're OK. Ride safely!

BumbleBeeDave
05-12-2014, 02:29 PM
The same scenario presents itself here in town and I try to grow about three extra sets of eyes as I go through the intersection. But if you slow up until the car in front of you has cleared the intersection, I find you also run the danger that the asshat driver behind you may not want to wait two extra second and will try to squeeze by you through the intersection.

BBD

wooly
05-12-2014, 02:42 PM
Close call! Glad you're all right.

wc1934
05-12-2014, 07:49 PM
Glad you are ok - stay tuned to your body as sometimes the next day is problematic.

bikenut
05-12-2014, 07:53 PM
Glad not serious.

TimS
05-13-2014, 06:51 AM
I was found at fault. No joke was handed a ticket on the scene. Gonna fight that one. My mind was scrambled. Was out the day after, gotta get back on the horse!

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 09:22 AM
I was found at fault. No joke was handed a ticket on the scene. Gonna fight that one. My mind was scrambled. Was out the day after, gotta get back on the horse!

What is the ticket for, fault doing what?

weehastogopee
05-13-2014, 01:04 PM
Glad you're olkay!
Bummer you we're found at fault :\
Did the driver stop and did you get to switch info?

vqdriver
05-13-2014, 02:23 PM
glad you're ok and that the officers were prescient enough to assist in traffic control.

aside from that, i can't tell from the op who was at fault so i'm not getting all the "make him pay" stuff....

TimS
05-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Turning left into ongoing traffic and not "yielding" is the crime.