PDA

View Full Version : What would you do with $2,000 to get back into mountain biking?

MattTuck
05-11-2014, 09:55 PM
Ok, so let's put this in the category of a 'thought experiment'. Now that the weather has turned and the local mountain bike association has given its blessing to riding the trails, I'm taking advantage of some trails very close to home.

I'm using my old stumpjumper from 1999. Hard tail with a Rockshox Judy fork. It isn't great over the rooted/rocky trails, and the front shock is sort of limp. I figure that if I put in 30+ hours of mountain biking this year, that would justify the purchase of a new rig. (I say new, but I really mean 'new to me'. It could be used or new)

I know this isn't a MTB-centric group, but there is certainly some experience and I'd be interested in what you wise folks might suggest. How would you guys spend $2,000?

Other than wanting a 29er and Shimano shifting/drivetrain, I'm pretty open to suggestions.

I'd love to get a custom frame from Rock Lobster, but that would only leave $300 for the rest of the bike. Doh!

christian
05-11-2014, 10:03 PM
If you want something modern that acts and rides like a modern bike, take your money and buy yourself a Giant Trance 27.5 3.

That said, not sure you really need it. I rode about 800 miles last year on a used $400 Cannondale Jekyll. Yes, it almost certainly weighs well north of 30 lbs. Yes, it's a single-pivot. Blah, blah, blah. I stuck some new tires on it, serviced the fork, and had fun.

CunegoFan
Mid range fat bike plus some mods.

avalonracing
I would put a WTB for a cool, lightly-used MTB in the classifieds here. I did this last week for a friend and within a couple of days he had a couple of interesting offers of nice steel, hardtail 29ers.

xjoex
05-11-2014, 10:08 PM
I would buy a new Specialized 29" hard tail Stumpjumper. I sold my 26" Full sus with XTR and all the bells and whistles when I bought this. The hardtail 29er is a fun bike.

This is mine: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/05/review-specialized-stumpjumper-comp-29.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Sr12Ak3lhKU/UWDmOQjPkCI/AAAAAAAAMMQ/wAkcNE2BAZs/s900/P4060317.jpg

Fat bikes are awesome, but I don't like to ride mine during the summer.

-Joe

hokoman
05-11-2014, 10:09 PM
If I was tall enough.. I would look for a Santa Cruz tallboy - I still ride a blur. Look for an aluminum one to keep the cost down. I feel like Santa Cruz has the best bang for buck for mtn bikes.

akelman
05-11-2014, 10:15 PM
What size frame do you need? I have a friend who has an Ibis Silk Ti (it used to be mine; it's in fantastic shape), and I bet he'd let it go for a great price. (FYI, I liked but didn't love riding a 29er and happily returned to a 26er.)

josephr
05-11-2014, 10:17 PM
Moots YBB 29er.....even if more than $2k...its the perfect mtn bike.
Joe

fourflys
05-11-2014, 10:22 PM
I'd be hard pressed not to go with one of these:
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_el_mariachi_2/overview/

I'm sure there are others out there, and at that price they're all pretty much the same IMHO... just gotta pick what floats your boat in color/spec/etc...

http://endlesscyclesonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ElMariachi_2_14_34f_1440x960-1024x682.jpg

JAGI410
05-11-2014, 10:32 PM
Surly Krampus

Ken Robb
05-11-2014, 10:32 PM
rooty, rocky trails for me indicates full suspension of any wheel size. There must be lots of used bikes for less than $1,000. Ride that and see if you get a picture of a dream bike. You can probably sell your used bike for near what you paid for it and trade up. Or maybe you will already be happy as a clam at high tide. :banana:

MattTuck
05-11-2014, 10:56 PM
What size frame do you need? I have a friend who has an Ibis Silk Ti (it used to be mine; it's in fantastic shape), and I bet he'd let it go for a great price. (FYI, I liked but didn't love riding a 29er and happily returned to a 26er.)

I'm 5'11''. I get the feeling that fit isn't as important for mountain bikes, relative to road bikes. Frankly, not even sure what size I'd take.

MattTuck
05-11-2014, 10:58 PM
Chris, it is funny. I was looking at that Mariache before posting this thread. Definitely something about those bikes that catches my eye.I'd be hard pressed not to go with one of these:
http://salsacycles.com/bikes/2014_el_mariachi_2/overview/

I'm sure there are others out there, and at that price they're all pretty much the same IMHO... just gotta pick what floats your boat in color/spec/etc...

http://endlesscyclesonline.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/ElMariachi_2_14_34f_1440x960-1024x682.jpg

MattTuck
05-11-2014, 11:01 PM
If you want something modern that acts and rides like a modern bike, take your money and buy yourself a Giant Trance 27.5 3.

That said, not sure you really need it. I rode about 800 miles last year on a used $400 Cannondale Jekyll. Yes, it almost certainly weighs well north of 30 lbs. Yes, it's a single-pivot. Blah, blah, blah. I stuck some new tires on it, serviced the fork, and had fun.

Your ideas are intriguing to me and I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ)

This is definitely the plan for this year. Just playing "what if" for next year :) Is it bad to be spending next year's money on bikes before this year is even fully underway? :help:

muchness
05-11-2014, 11:06 PM
With similar constraints, mine will soon be a Karate Monkey full of SLX and perhaps a Whiskey fork.

akelman
05-11-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm 5'11''. I get the feeling that fit isn't as important for mountain bikes, relative to road bikes. Frankly, not even sure what size I'd take.

Well, if you're interested in a Silk Ti, let me know. It's in absolutely terrific shape. And I'm 6' and rode it comfortably. It's a very, very nice bike. But if you want a 29er, it's not going to float your boat.

eddief
05-11-2014, 11:10 PM
but I love my custom Carver ti road. Maybe he can do you up something in ti?

http://www.carverbikes.com/frames

KonaSS
05-12-2014, 04:43 AM
I would second the recommendation for a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail. Not exotic, but a whole lotta bike for the cash. Can dress it up or dress it down to suit your preferences and style of riding.

I like the El Mariachi (I have one), but unless you think you may want to try singlespeeding, it has nothing over the Specialized. People can wax all day about the magic steel ride, but 1. The new aluminums are nothing like the old aluminums, and 2. The extra 2-3 pounds on that Mariachi sure does negates all kinds of ride feel to me.

moose8
05-12-2014, 05:39 AM
I'd poke around http://forums.mtbr.com

The people there seem nice and really know their mountain bikes. I was in a similar situation a few years ago and someone there sent me a fork for the cost of shipping plus a photo of my bike when it was built up. I don't mountain bike nearly as much as road biking, but I like it and I do kind of feel like you can get a lot of value without spending a ton.

Whatever you get will be a blast. If I were looking to spend around $2000 I might consider the Surly ECR too.

rnhood
05-12-2014, 05:52 AM
I would second the recommendation for a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail. Not exotic, but a whole lotta bike for the cash. Can dress it up or dress it down to suit your preferences and style of riding.

I like the El Mariachi (I have one), but unless you think you may want to try singlespeeding, it has nothing over the Specialized. People can wax all day about the magic steel ride, but 1. The new aluminums are nothing like the old aluminums, and 2. The extra 2-3 pounds on that Mariachi sure does negates all kinds of ride feel to me.

I'll third the Stumpjumper. In the 29'er realm, definitely one of the best.

Gummee
05-12-2014, 06:39 AM
the short short version: rooty/rocky and tight? 27.5er

rooty/rocky and wide open? 29er

AFA the rest of the budget: buy used. There's lots of garage queens out there.

I've tried 29ers. Don't like the way they ride. So I went 27.5er with this bike (Ritchey P650B) and am really liking it.

M

avalonracing
05-12-2014, 07:08 AM

Observation: Isn't it funny that we've been so "sold" on the bigger wheel thing that MTBs are often photographed to make their wheels look ridiculously big as bigger must be better?

bikenut
05-12-2014, 07:34 AM
Long time mtb rider who has owned several platforms. Best all arounder for the buck is the 29er hardtail. A full suspension for 2 grand will be a tank. The key with 29ers is light wheels. Most folks who don't like them rode heavy cheap wheeled 29ers.

echelon_john
05-12-2014, 07:39 AM
Niner EMD9

christian
05-12-2014, 07:40 AM
Fun with $400:

http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/Camera_Roll/IMG_0632.JPG

But I admit I'm tempted by a carbon xc hardtail.

bcroslin
05-12-2014, 08:07 AM
Keep an eye on the mtbr classifieds. If you're not in a rush you can score a deal.

I bought a 29er hard tail 2 years ago and I've been super happy with it. I ride single track in FL with lots of roots and it handles well and I just returned from CO and it was fantastic for climbing and bombing down smooth trails.

Best all around bike would be a 27.5 hard tail but there isn't enough of them around yet to score a deal in the used market.

MattTuck
05-12-2014, 09:23 AM
My current mountain bike is the second Specialized I owned. The first was a Hardrock, probably from around 1994 or 1995. I agree that they're good bikes, but I am feeling a bit allergic to Specialized lately. If I can help it, I'd like to look elsewhere for my next bike so that Mike Sinyard gets no more of my money. Maybe I'll buy used if the seller promises his next bike will not be a big S. ;)

I'll third the Stumpjumper. In the 29'er realm, definitely one of the best.

I would buy a new Specialized 29" hard tail Stumpjumper. I sold my 26" Full sus with XTR and all the bells and whistles when I bought this. The hardtail 29er is a fun bike.

This is mine: http://robonza.blogspot.com/2013/05/review-specialized-stumpjumper-comp-29.html
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-Sr12Ak3lhKU/UWDmOQjPkCI/AAAAAAAAMMQ/wAkcNE2BAZs/s900/P4060317.jpg

Fat bikes are awesome, but I don't like to ride mine during the summer.

-Joe

Vientomas
05-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Used:

Pinkbike.com

Ridemonkey.com

jmoore
05-12-2014, 09:36 AM
Singular

tmf
05-12-2014, 10:09 AM
I had been riding my completely rigid '89 Fisher ProCaliber for almost 25 years. I plan on getting in more time on the trails this year, so I decided it was time to upgrade. For about $1,200, I found a lightly used Niner Air 9 with SLX parts and Stan's wheels (it had Crests which were too light for me, so I built up these Flows). I didn't need 3 rings in front, so I'm not riding it as a 1x10. I did a three hour ride a couple of weekends ago, and I can't imaging liking another bike any more.

For new bikes, I was looking at several of the Scott hardtails in 29er and 650B.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/todd4ta/Bikes/Ride%20pics/bd0df822-4afa-4667-ad37-28394c6337e8_zpsa24563c5.jpg

TomNY
05-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Ok, so let's put this in the category of a 'thought experiment'. Now that the weather has turned and the local mountain bike association has given its blessing to riding the trails, I'm taking advantage of some trails very close to home.

I'm using my old stumpjumper from 1999. Hard tail with a Rockshox Judy fork. It isn't great over the rooted/rocky trails, and the front shock is sort of limp. I figure that if I put in 30+ hours of mountain biking this year, that would justify the purchase of a new rig. (I say new, but I really mean 'new to me'. It could be used or new)

I know this isn't a MTB-centric group, but there is certainly some experience and I'd be interested in what you wise folks might suggest. How would you guys spend $2,000?

Other than wanting a 29er and Shimano shifting/drivetrain, I'm pretty open to suggestions.

I'd love to get a custom frame from Rock Lobster, but that would only leave $300 for the rest of the bike. Doh!

I bought a dual suspension MTB off Bikes Direct - Motobecane badge that is a Giant Trance for under $1400. I ride a Large 29er which for me at 6-1 is awesome. Hydraulic disc brakes and Sram X9 is sweet! Also ride a 26" Ti hardtail w V brakes, Bomber fork. My advice would be to check out the new no name badges. Outside of the small builders and customs, the big boys are all made in a couple factories w diff decals.

vqdriver
05-12-2014, 12:29 PM
i'd go full squish unless you're spending all your time on fireroads. if you want 29" and (decent) full suspension is out of your budget, i'd take a fs 26" over a hardtail 29" to maximize fun factor. plus, 26" bikes are crazy cheap these days.

bargainguy
05-12-2014, 01:31 PM
I bought a dual suspension MTB off Bikes Direct - Motobecane badge that is a Giant Trance for under $1400...

My understanding is that your Moto is made by Kinesis of Taiwan. Giant is based in China. As far as I know, two separate companies.

I've never heard that Kinesis is rebadging Giant frames and selling them at a discount - curious as to how you found that out.

jh_on_the_cape
05-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Long time mtb rider who has owned several platforms. Best all arounder for the buck is the 29er hardtail. A full suspension for 2 grand will be a tank. The key with 29ers is light wheels. Most folks who don't like them rode heavy cheap wheeled 29ers.

what he said. or for $2k you can get what nobody wants but is still great: an aluminum 26" wheeled full suspension bike. You can get a DW link Turner Spot for $2k used.

It depends on what you want. The 29er hardtail will be more roady: pedal and go fast in spandex. The FS bike will be not as fast... but in my opinion WAY more fun.

I have an El Mariachi and a 2004 Turner Spot. I almost always ride the spot. Just a huge grin going down hill. A little more $... I would get a Santa Cruz 5010.

rice rocket
05-12-2014, 01:56 PM
I built a 650b singlespeed carbon Lefty hardtail for about $2100. Love this thing to death. The Lefty is unmatched in plushness, and also happens to be lighter and stiffer than anything else out there.

Fork (130mm OPI): $900
Project321 adapter: $100
Frame (On-One whippet): $400
Brakeset (Shimano SLX M675): $200
650b wheelset: $300 (self built)
Cockpit/saddle/seatpost: ~$100 (borrowed a saddle, stem, and seatpost from my road stash)
Crankset (free, it's some cheapie Raceface)
Pedals, free, some PD-M540s
Tires (Schwalbe Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph): $100

Okay, so more like 2200 if you exclude the free stuff.

I also ended up playing weightweenie and swapped to XTR brakes and actually got a great deal on a carbon Lefty...but that's just me being a weenie, the same functionality can be had for much less. And I swapped to the heavier XT pedals to get the cage around the pedal. My total weight is a hair over 20 lbs.

I know On-One makes a 29er frame as well, so you could replicate it as a 29er. I spent a lot of money on my 29er before selling it though and could never get it to ride how I wanted, the 650b is just a lot more nimble.

redir
05-12-2014, 01:57 PM
FWIW I got a Cannondale Flash 29r a couple years ago with the Lefty fork in that price range and it's been a great bike.