PDA

View Full Version : Thurmont, MD

Stefan
05-11-2014, 06:49 PM
Anyone familiar with any good routes or rides that run through Thurmont? I used to live out there, but that was long before I rode.

There's good climbing on 550 and 77, but seems like those are a bit risky for cycling.

palincss
05-11-2014, 06:56 PM
There are plenty of routes from Thurmont in Ride With GPS. I have several that leave from the Community Park and go to Gettysburg, touring the battlefield, and also several that visit the Frederick county covered bridges. None of these are hilly. There are several versions of the Civil War Century in RWGPS as well, and of course those are.

OtayBW
05-11-2014, 08:27 PM
One option that I sometimes do: Ride from Taneytown SW to the Catoctin Wildlife area and up Catoctin Hollow Rd; then cross 77 and continue climbing up Park Central Rd and past Camp David; then loop back down on Foxville Deerfield Rd, continuing on Sabillasville down into Thurmont on 550. Find your way back to Taneytown any number of ways. Mostly flat/rolling E, NE, and SE of Thurmont. You can extend toward Emmitsburg if you like, or up to Gettysburg. Or stay in the Catoctins west of Thurmont and climb till your heart's content.

550 and 77 are not the best, but tolerable for shorter stretches.

Check out RideWithGPS and similar sites.