PDA

View Full Version : Amgen tour of CA and mt. diablo

cnighbor1
05-11-2014, 11:24 AM
Amgen tour of CA and Mt. Diablo on this Tuesday. the GPC (club) and I will be leaving from heather Farm Park Walnut Creek, CA at 10:00am to view the race. your all invited to join the fun.
cnighbor2@yahoo.com

enr1co
05-11-2014, 12:40 PM
Exciting- heading up via Southgate and hanging out just below the junction as last year. I'll be the one in the devil costume ;)

http://i1193.photobucket.com/albums/aa357/enr1co/C60%20frame/IMG_2718.jpg

pdmtong
05-11-2014, 02:27 PM
The first year I stood on the steep curve maybe 1000m below the junction. It was a mob scene and packed. Crazy noisy.

Last year I stood 75m from the finish. Since Barriers in place hard to move around but could see the race coming via several open curves below. They close the road to bikes 2k for the top so bring a change of shoes. The bike racks are monitored and you get a check in/out tag. Coming down was a pain until i got behind the bmc car with TJ in it. Pretty cool to see him and the leaders jersey in the back window all the way down

This year I am going to be maybe 1/3 of the way up past south gate. See them go by and out of there

Change of plan. I have no interest in standing in the 95d sun for three hours. I'll take credit for standing on the hill the past two years and find me a nice place under a shaded tree to watch them before the climb

blessthismess
05-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Some friends and I had wanted to check it out last year because it fell on a weekend. Unfortunately i will be at work tuesday so I won't make it this year either. Weather forecast is for a balmy 94 degrees:eek: so be sure to bring some extra water.

enr1co
05-11-2014, 06:39 PM
The first year I stood on the steep curve maybe 1000m below the junction. It was a mob scene and packed. Crazy noisy.

Last year I stood 75m from the finish. Since Barriers in place hard to move around but could see the race coming via several open curves below. They close the road to bikes 2k for the top so bring a change of shoes. The bike racks are monitored and you get a check in/out tag. Coming down was a pain until i got behind the bmc car with TJ in it. Pretty cool to see him and the leaders jersey in the back window all the way down

This year I am going to be maybe 1/3 of the way up past south gate. See them go by and out of there

It is a huge mess coming off Diablo on the road after the ride- complete mix of hundreds of types of riders, pedestrians descending after the race makes for a scary and dangerous experience.

This is why I ride up on my mt bike and take a fun descent off road thru Curry Point (if on the southside) and end up in the Blackhawk neighborhood
avoiding the masses.

If you need to get back to the Northside into Walnut Creek, take a right just below the Ranger Station/ Junctio and jump off road on to BBQ Terrace, Stage road and finish up at Castle Rock Park.

Doable on a gravel bike if comfortable with your skills but easier to bomb down with at least front suspension. Much more fun and fewer crowds. :)

http://www.parks.ca.gov/pages/517/files/mtDiabloBrochure.pdf

pdmtong
05-11-2014, 07:06 PM
It is a huge mess coming off Diablo on the road after the ride- complete mix of hundreds of types of riders, pedestrians descending after the race makes for a scary and dangerous experience.[/url]

No kidding. The one year the KOM was at the top of sierra road it was pouring rain and coming down off that with the crowds was frightening.

Even last year, there are people flying downhill like they are the only ones on the road.

All that bottleneck getting off the summit did have one nice result though. My new friends....

enr1co
05-11-2014, 07:41 PM
No kidding. The one year the KOM was at the top of sierra road it was pouring rain and coming down off that with the crowds was frightening.

Even last year, there are people flying downhill like they are the only ones on the road.

All that bottleneck getting off the summit did have one nice result though. My new friends....

Like :)

cnighbor1
05-12-2014, 04:46 PM
Getting down Mt diablo
a rider informed me they will stage riders going down with a Police Car leading the way my guess 15 mph going down once your let to go in a group

Shortsocks
05-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Here are your new friends right after laying two wet ones on Cav's cheeks.v:eek:
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/bbfd14d2942efd42d4de0663d516ffb9.jpg

firerescuefin
05-12-2014, 05:40 PM
Here are your new friends right after laying two wet ones on Cav's cheeks.v:eek:
http://i1080.photobucket.com/albums/j323/prelude97si/bbfd14d2942efd42d4de0663d516ffb9.jpg

Good to see someone other than Lance living the "Ultra Life" :cool:

pdmtong
05-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Here are your new friends right after laying two wet ones on Cav's cheeks.

These two have been the podium for the past 3-4 years. With the ritual of the podium, experience counts.

Same with the motorcycle drivers. i spoke to a handful of those guys. The lead rider, he drives for all kinds of pro races.

seems like the kind of thing that once you get in, it's yours to keep until you want to leave or eff up.