PDA

View Full Version : Powertap Campy freehub

morrisericd
05-10-2014, 08:40 PM
Hello all.
I've recently switched from 10 speed to 11 and am having some difficulty with my Powertap Enve 3.4 wheels. Specifically, the 11 speed Chorus cassette is hitting the spokes (barely, but it hits and won't allow the freewheel the freewheel). My wheels came with a Shimano and Campy free hub. The Shimano one came with a thin (1 mm?) spacer with teeth to fit the free hub. The Campy one did not and the Shimano one will not fit over the Campy splines. My question is - does the spacer go between the cassette and free hub or behind the free hub? I have several thicker spacers (maybe 2-3mm - basically the thickness of a spacer between cassette cogs) but it's too thick and won't allow the lock ring to thread. I suppose I could Dremel off the teeth and put the 1mm spacer in but I thought I'd ask first. It doesn't seem like you can get a spacer behind the free hub but that may work. Thanks for the help.

tiretrax
05-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I think you wouldn't want the spacer, but what do I know. Did you email Cyclops for their suggestion?

morrisericd
05-10-2014, 10:30 PM
I'll get in touch with them on Monday - just got it together today. I was hoping someone here had been through the same situation. I just don't see how it will work without a spacer - otherwise it rubs the spokes.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2014, 06:52 AM
Hello all.
I've recently switched from 10 speed to 11 and am having some difficulty with my Powertap Enve 3.4 wheels. Specifically, the 11 speed Chorus cassette is hitting the spokes (barely, but it hits and won't allow the freewheel the freewheel). My wheels came with a Shimano and Campy free hub. The Shimano one came with a thin (1 mm?) spacer with teeth to fit the free hub. The Campy one did not and the Shimano one will not fit over the Campy splines. My question is - does the spacer go between the cassette and free hub or behind the free hub? I have several thicker spacers (maybe 2-3mm - basically the thickness of a spacer between cassette cogs) but it's too thick and won't allow the lock ring to thread. I suppose I could Dremel off the teeth and put the 1mm spacer in but I thought I'd ask first. It doesn't seem like you can get a spacer behind the free hub but that may work. Thanks for the help.

Powertap did supply a set of thin, various thickness spacers, specifically for this but I'm wondering if between swapping FH bodies, a spacer needs to be UNDER the FH body, between the FH body bearing and the interior hub bearing, to raise the FH body a little bit(?)

morrisericd
05-11-2014, 07:39 AM
On about page 11 of a Google search I did see the same thing. Apparently there are some manufacturing discrepancies between free hubs causing some of them to put the cassette too close to the spokes. One guy said he contacted Wheelbuilder and they sent him a few - problem solved.

mikerp
05-12-2014, 05:01 PM
Just received my post access today.
Wheelbuilder will send you some shims, Saris a new spacer. Both will solve the problem
See pic
http://i.imgur.com/xrCulTS.jpg
I own 2 PT Campy wheels that I built myself, both had the issue.

morrisericd
05-12-2014, 07:02 PM
Thanks Mike! I talked to Powertap today and they are going to send me a new longer spacer piece like what you have in the picture. I wasn't sure what the best way was to move the cassette out - I was originally thinking something behind the cassette not actually in the hub. In retrospect it does seem like the way to go. The tech also told me you can pick up shims and/or a new spacer at "any Ace Hardware".

mikerp
05-13-2014, 05:50 PM
You're welcome, I like the spacer over the shim. Easier to install and remove as well as clean and lube. Both work in a pinch. When I first ran into the issue I made shim that I placed behind the cassette.