PDA

View Full Version : Flightdeck and 10 speed gear...

SoCalSteve
02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
Hi all,

Since switching over all my bikes (including my wife's Merlin) we have noticed that the Flightdeck computers are not as stable as they were on the 9 speeds. They tend to switch between modes and on my wife's bike, the trip function just stops.

Has anyone noticed a difference( for the worse) with 7800-6600 gear and the Flightdeck system? Or, do you think it could be user error as the new Flightdeck shifter interfaces are just more sensitive?

Would love some feedback on this (and maybe suggestions of how to fix the problems).

As always, thank you all in advance,

Steve

Ken Robb
02-13-2006, 06:16 PM
I thought it was just me

Bruce K
02-13-2006, 06:39 PM
I have 2. One is just like the 9 speed and the other shuts itself off and resets every once in a while.

My LBS is going to warranty it for me.

BK

ericmurphy
02-13-2006, 06:56 PM
The FlightDeck on my 10-SP bike seems a lot more reliable than the one on my 9-speed bike. It's less likely to turn itself off (which might have more to do with less extreme reach on my new bike than on my old one and nothing to do with the FlightDeck itself), and it seems less problematic. I would often lose average speed in the nine-speed version, which didn't make sense since I had distance and time, so how could average not be available? But that has never been a problem with the 10-sp version.

However, if your new FlightDeck is wireless, you might want to check the battery in the transmitter. I only got about 18 months out of mine, and once the battery started failing, I'd lose mileage on the computer. I think my plan is to replace the battery once a year in the transmitter and maybe once every two years in the head.

1centaur
02-13-2006, 07:14 PM
I have five or six of the 10-speed Flight Decks, and they have generally been very stable. The exceptions have been extremely hot, humid days.

The classic tip is to take the head out of the clip and use a pencil eraser on the contacts. I have sometimes found that just clicking it out and clicking it in again helps it find itself and then it's fine.

BarryG
02-14-2006, 06:51 AM
I also find the 10sp FDeck quite reliable. The only problem I ran into was the cabling from the left lever - the little circuit board that gets screwed in was very sensitive to how tight you screwed it down in order to correctly indicate the 3 chainrings of a triple.

Jeff N.
02-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Running several. Not a problem one. Jeff N.

Sandy
02-14-2006, 07:05 PM
I have had both problems that you have mentioned on my 10 speed Flightdeck. The trip funtion would stop, and it would tend to go from function to fuction without me wanting it to.

Trip function stopping- The button that regulates the trip funtion going off is the one on the LEFT. As I got up off the saddle (and possibly when on the saddle), I would, unknowingly hit that button, which would simply stop the clock, time, trip distance...It simply would no longer calculate such. To remedy that situation, I simply shot the flightdeck, sort of like our Vice President. Well, not actually. I took one of those little pads, from my Giro helmet, cut off a little piece and adhered it over the button, so that it would not be so sensitive to my touch. Bingo, the problem was solved. You can also put some tape or something in the inside to make the button a little less pronounced on the outside.

Switching between modes- I bought the flightdeck (wireless) so that I could get the cadence feature. It seemed to switch functions on its own, which was very frustrating. My dealer called up Shimano, and they initially said that the computer was programmed to do such, which made no sense to me at all.
After calling Shimano again, my dealer (lbs) said that was incorrect. I now am careful in not touching the right button, which changes the function mode. It still seems to happen some, so I am going to do the same with one of the little pads. I think that will solve that problem. Later I will probably put tape underneath to make the button a little less pronounced on the outside (and look better).

I will send you my email address and phone number if you want to discuss this with me.

I am sorry that I ever bought it.

Sorry Shimano Serotta Sandy