PDA

View Full Version : Wind Shell That Doesn't Flap

bobscott
02-13-2006, 02:38 PM
I am currently using a PI Zephr Wind/Light Weight Shell. It does a number of things well: fits nicely, compacts to pocket size, works under a number of different conditions (depending on whats under it), sheds light rain fairly well, etc. BUT, it FLAPS in the wind. This can get fairly loud and I find it annoying.

Any suggestions for a wind shell which doesn't flap...are there alternate fabrics or cuts that take care of this problem?

BumbleBeeDave
02-13-2006, 03:18 PM
. . . and it works great for wind and moisture, BUT yep, it flaps. If I bought a medium with body snug, the sleeves were too short and shoulders too small. If I got the large the sleeves and shoulders were big enough, but the body was poochy and flaps.

I think we're stuck. Obviously a conspiracy . . .

BBD

Serotta PETE
02-13-2006, 04:23 PM
Go to an outdoor store or maybe even REI and try one of the Mountain Hardware or Patagonia wind jackets. (You can go to the mft web sites and check out models and sizing)

Pete

shaq-d
02-13-2006, 04:27 PM
soft shell's don't flap..or if they do, at least u don't hear it flapping like the nylon ones...

sd

Ozz
02-13-2006, 04:59 PM
I picked up a Descente Element jacket that is pretty quiet...it fits OK. It is windproof, but soft and thin. It also has lots of reflective trim for early morning rides.

The cut is not as nice as Assos or Etxe Ondo, but it is a couple hundred bucks cheaper too.

JohnS
02-13-2006, 05:16 PM
Try a Marmot Driclime Windshirt. It fits a lot snugger than a jacket but'll offer all the wind protection and wicking you need.