PDA

View Full Version : It's raining and I wimped out

FastforaSlowGuy
05-10-2014, 08:19 AM
It's actually warm here in MA, so I thought I'd go out for a longish ride. 15 miles in it started raining. Then it started pouring. I often enjoy riding in the wet (and have my fenders on for the ocassion), but when I stopped for coffee midway, I seem to have grown roots. Can't make myself leave and ride the 30 miles home. So I called my wife, who is now driving out with the dog and some dry clothes, and I'll ditch his ride for a hike with my pooch. There is absolutely no reason I couldn't pedal home. I'm comfortable in rain, have all the right kit on, but my desire just gave out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

William
05-10-2014, 08:28 AM
It's actually warm here in MA, so I thought I'd go out for a longish ride. 15 miles in it started raining. Then it started pouring. I often enjoy riding in the wet (and have my fenders on for the ocassion), but when I stopped for coffee midway, I seem to have grown roots. Can't make myself leave and ride the 30 miles home. So I called my wife, who is now driving out with the dog and some dry clothes, and I'll ditch his ride for a hike with my pooch. There is absolutely no reason I couldn't pedal home. I'm comfortable in rain, have all the right kit on, but my desire just gave out.

Two reactions here....

1.) HTFU!!:p

2.) I have no shame in admitting that since I stopped racing, there are times when the weather sucks and I'll decide to do something else to get a workout in. I figure for all the times I was training out there, day in and out in the hot sun, pouring rain, blizzard snow, and driving hail...I've earned the aright to say, "eff that, not today". :D

Enjoy there ride home.....and don't scald your lip on that hot chocolate!;)

William

etu
05-10-2014, 09:58 AM
Hope you waved to local triathletes who were out on the road on your way home! :p

FastforaSlowGuy
05-10-2014, 10:05 AM
I wave to everyone. Don't get people who don't wave. Unless you're head down in the middle of a hard effort.

Dead Man
05-10-2014, 11:08 AM
I'm starting to not cope with the rain well. I started riding in the rain, I learned to ride in the rain, I learned to love to ride in the rain, and learned bike maintenance from a post-rain perspective.

That's right, I live in Portland.

But lately... I dunno. Maybe it's the hundreds of hours I spent drying, blowing off, and re-oiling I spent this last winter.. maybe it's the 500 chains and brake pads I replaced... or maybe I got hammered by highway spray, fixing punctures in the mud on the side of the highway, just one too many times... but since the sun has been coming out more this spring, I find myself opting to not ride, if it's raining. I even almost took my fenders off, the other day.

vav
05-10-2014, 11:29 AM
This time of the year pollen does it for me. Worst than rain, snow, wind, you name it.

George Ab
05-10-2014, 11:48 AM
No shame in that. Besides it gave your wife the opportunity to play the hero.

I usually do not go out in the rain. If I go out and it starts to rain, if a heavy rain I generally turn around and head for home. It just isn't that fun for me, and the main reason I ride is for the joy of it.

pjmsj21
05-10-2014, 11:48 AM
Ditto here. I have commuted in the rain and very hard rain for a number of years but of late I have found myself being more than a bit of a weather wimp.

Maybe it is just that I have been away from riding in the rain for a while but, more and more I find myself wimping out.

I'm starting to not cope with the rain well. I started riding in the rain, I learned to ride in the rain, I learned to love to ride in the rain, and learned bike maintenance from a post-rain perspective.

But lately... I dunno. Maybe it's the hundreds of hours I spent drying, blowing off, and re-oiling I spent this last winter.. maybe it's the 500 chains and brake pads I replaced... or maybe I got hammered by highway spray, fixing punctures in the mud on the side of the highway, just one too many times... but since the sun has been coming out more this spring, I find myself opting to not ride, if it's raining. I even almost took my fenders off, the other day.

dpk501
05-10-2014, 01:13 PM

The dirty 30...

shovelhd
05-10-2014, 01:29 PM
I did my intervals in the rain today. My bike is a mess. Got a lot of waves from motorcycles when I was hammering.

Rueda Tropical
05-10-2014, 01:33 PM
I leave the suffering to the guys in Rapha ads and pros who get paid to suffer. I've already got a job, cycling is just for fun and stress release.

Dead Man
05-10-2014, 02:52 PM
The dirty 30...

How'd you guess?

christian
05-10-2014, 05:18 PM
I rode tempo yesterday in the rain and 2.5 hours in the mist and rain today. What's worse is a have a Hampco fender bike and I consciously chose the Colnago with the Ass Saver. But man I love the Gabba jersey.

tele
05-10-2014, 05:26 PM
Waited til 1ish to go out with some buds and it was a glorious 2 hours here in Western Mass.

Now, major boomers so its all about timing!

shovelhd
05-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Yes it is, and I blew it today.

T.J.
05-10-2014, 06:55 PM
I have a weekend off from racing this week! Helped out with a clinic for junior racers...we got dumped on :rolleyes:. All good tho, half of today was about cornering so that learned about cornering when it's wet. Tomorrow is sprinting/tactics and is suppose to be dry

zmudshark
05-10-2014, 07:07 PM
Rain?

Last rain here was two months ago, and I got caught in it on TMB's group ride. So I went and impulsively bought a Showers Pass 2.1 Elite at the REI blowout because of this:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=148183

I never ride in the rain. I have a nice rain jacket. Anyone want a yellow large at a loss to me?

Mr.Pave
05-10-2014, 09:15 PM
I rode in the rain for about 25 or 30 miles yesterday and I had a blast. I just spent the last hour and a half cleaning my bike and re-lubing, not so fun.
But the weather is showing 75 to 85 degrees for the rest of the week so thank God. I'm pretty much done with riding in the rain if I can help it.
If i had 30 more miles to go and I stopped for coffee and had time to come to my senses I might have made that call but most likely not unless I was injured.

christian
05-12-2014, 09:38 AM
http://christianedstrom.com/vsalon/iPhone/My_Photo_Stream/IMG_0004.JPG