PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo 2015 new mechanical groupset

maverick_1
05-10-2014, 07:43 AM
Looks like Campy has been taking some design pointers from the big S.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prototype-campagnolo-group-spotted-at-giro-ditalia

Too industrial looking?

Joachim
05-10-2014, 07:47 AM
The FD arm and crankset look like Shimano, a lot :)

Llewellyn
05-10-2014, 07:49 AM
That crank looks horrible.

maverick_1
05-10-2014, 07:53 AM
Exactly...:(

oldpotatoe
05-10-2014, 08:58 AM
Looks like Campy has been taking some design pointers from the big S.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/prototype-campagnolo-group-spotted-at-giro-ditalia

Too industrial looking?

Wow..FD and crank very shimano esque...I wonder if they are somehow working together..to further isolate the small 's' brand. Crank no better looking nor no worse than shimano...both bolt diameters a good thing, bad for CR makers but fewer SKUs...glad they are keeping UT.

Nice beacuse of LH ever action, it can use any Fder..long arm one means lighter action.

Ahneida Ride
05-10-2014, 09:25 AM
Ouch ! :butt:

54ny77
05-10-2014, 10:34 AM
Hello, that's really fugginugly.

It's a bummer campy won't make a silver all-alloy top of line group. I've been waiting. Patiently. For a long time.....

If forged beer can stuff is good enough for DA, what's with them eye-talians not doing similar? Is carbon more or less expensive to manufacture?

kirke
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
This makes me feel like I should stockpile some current Chorus or Record groups for all future builds.

wooly
05-10-2014, 11:02 AM
Um, I'm actually glad that I made the switch to DA9000. The inky thing I think campy has going for it is the hood shape. The previous gen was beautiful.

rain dogs
05-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Wow..FD and crank very shimano esque...I wonder if they are somehow working together..to further isolate the small 's' brand. Crank no better looking nor no worse than shimano...both bolt diameters a good thing, bad for CR makers but fewer SKUs...glad they are keeping UT.

Nice beacuse of LH ever action, it can use any Fder..long arm one means lighter action.

This is what I immediately thought upon seeing it. OP, they couldn't be moving toward using the same BCD? That would be a substantial shift in the market having the two bigs more standardized. Plus, those 9000 rings are so stylized and complex they'd never interchange, would they?

Aesthetically it is a little more balanced than the 9000crank, but neither are particularly beautiful imho. There is a lot going on with both that looks like decoration just for the sake of it. Less is more.

54ny77
05-10-2014, 11:19 AM
most beautiful cranks, ever.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5118/7422074548_11ccaa926d_z.jpg

why they can't make this today, i dunno. heck, even make it look like c-record.

pjmsj21
05-10-2014, 11:45 AM
One of the reasons that I just purchased a Chorus/Athena group was because I was not wild over the look of the 6800, which I have on my wife's BMC. 6800 looks fine on a carbon machine like the BMC, but would look out of place on a ti, or more traditional looking steel frame.....at least for me.

happycampyer
05-10-2014, 12:04 PM
The non-drive-side crankarm looks nice.

wooly
05-10-2014, 12:07 PM
The non-drive-side crankarm looks nice.

Haha - about the only good view of the crank. I wonder if the final production version will look better. I bet it will.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2014, 12:12 PM
Hello, that's really fugginugly.

It's a bummer campy won't make a silver all-alloy top of line group. I've been waiting. Patiently. For a long time.....

If forged beer can stuff is good enough for DA, what's with them eye-talians not doing similar? Is carbon more or less expensive to manufacture?

Shimano has been huge into aluminum forging and manufacturing for a long time. They have stated they see no advantage to making stuff in carbon, like cranks. May have a point, they do not bend to market pressure. How many BB30 cranks or even adapters do they make? No, not saying bb30 esque stuff is an answer to anything. I think all aluminum Athena is all you are going to see from Campagnolo.

I think the 'all CR sizes' is the important point. Crank and beauty? I donno, beauty or not doesn't register to me.

dpk501
05-10-2014, 01:12 PM
why is it so aesthetically unpleasing??? boo...

sante pollastri
05-10-2014, 01:47 PM
hahahaha,campy is dead......

pbarry
05-10-2014, 01:56 PM
C may be conciously making the group homely while it"s in the R and D stage. That"s what I"m hoping anyway...

enr1co
05-10-2014, 03:12 PM
I like the current Campy crank design for its simple, traditional lines but this new one looks pretty cool as a modern design.

I dont care for the looks of the newer, Shimano cranks at all- thought the DA 7900 series crank shape looked nicer.

bluesea
05-10-2014, 05:08 PM
I liked the 9000 crank from the gitgo. Campy has always *had* elegant crank arms and spiders.

Salsa_Lover
05-10-2014, 05:43 PM
That's horrible , I better hoard on current parts before is too late ....

thirdgenbird
05-10-2014, 05:44 PM

Agreed on every account.

I completely see why they are making this move and pending final finishes, it will still be one of the best looking current production groups provided it's bolted to a modern frame. Unfortunately, I'm not sure it will look quite as nice as previous groups on lugged steel. I am very happy I own a mint late record 10 group for my current frame but I would welcome trying this on something newer.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2014, 06:15 PM
hahahaha,campy is dead......

Funny ya might want to remind them their biz has increased every year since 1991. Show us your shimano bike please?

And since it 'looks' like shimano, I guess they are dead......also.

KidWok
05-10-2014, 06:36 PM
This makes me feel like I should stockpile some current Chorus or Record groups for all future builds.

I've been doing that for years...for the price of a new 9000 or record group, you could pick up a few excellent condition 10 spd 7800 or chorus groups. I drew the line at 11 cogs and have stockpiled enough 10 spd in both Campagnolo and Shimano to last me awhile.

Tai

dancinkozmo
05-10-2014, 06:55 PM
Funny ya might want to remind them their biz has increased every year since 1991.

...from .0001 to .001 percent of the market .... It's been a hell of a rocket ride...yay campy !! :banana:

thirdgenbird
05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
...from .0001 to .001 percent of the market .... It's been a hell of a rocket ride...yay campy !! :banana:

They should throw in the towel along with all those frame builders that can't compete with Trek and Specialized's market share.:fight:

I would be happy with selling out production, maintained growth, and healthy operating profit. I don't know if campy has all three, but it sounds like they do.

ultraman6970
05-10-2014, 07:04 PM
Market is asking for stiffer an stiffer components, and this one looks like the answer to that call.

Interesting tho, add some campagnolo logos and will look good, the only thing i don't dig since I saw them this morning is that are just 4 bolts, shimano eske and many said already. Sure the pattern is not even close to shimano but don't see the objective. Maybe cheaper to make?? maybe lighter too? but since we can't go loser than 7 kg (6.8) to go lighter is a waste in racing world.

Dunno, don't dig this things because means to move to another established and solid system that campagnolo has been using for the last 80 years. Now we will need to get those chainrings, like if it wasnt harder to get aftermarket chainrings already, now this.

Deda had/has their lokomotive cranksets with 4 bolts for a few years now and they arent even selling.

Wonder what srm and others will do...

IMO campagnolo needs to keep UT system but take the sealed bearings and come with a nice lose balls cups for them (replaceable BB cones maybe?) or something and stop smoking crack, at least they havent change the hubs freehubs bodies because that really would upset me big time.

thirdgenbird
05-10-2014, 07:09 PM
Let's hope they return to simple shield and script logos for this generation.

saab2000
05-10-2014, 07:13 PM

I have read many an article about how Apple and their IOS keep losing market share to Android. Oddly, Ferrari is also a small part of the automobile market. I don't see them as a failure of a company.

No, it's not the same thing... But Apple is by some measures the most successful company ever. And having a Ferrari parked in your garage is a pretty neat thing too.

Is the world a richer place by having companies like Campagnolo? And Shimano? You bet it is.

In the 1970s and 1980s Campagnolo was practically the only game in town. Then came along an upstart called Shimano in the mid-1970s.. They almost killed Campagnolo. The world of cycling is a better place because of the competition between these two companies.

By all accounts they respect each other and we all enjoy the fruits of their competition, even if Campagnolo has a much smaller share of the overall market. I'm not sure they're competing against the Tiagra-equipped bikes anyway.

I recently saw a set of the Bora 35 wheels with the CULT bearings. Nicest wheels I've ever seen.

terry
05-10-2014, 07:22 PM
Shimano had cornered the market on the ugliest cranks for along time, now it looks like Campy is catching up.

oldpotatoe
05-10-2014, 07:46 PM

You enjoy that consumer level stuff then, ya probably drive a Toyota Corolla too.

ultraman6970
05-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Imagine a comeback of record C with delta brakes, all re engineered with carbon and aluminum. That will put them in the spot again big time... 4 arms... my as$

bikingshearer
05-10-2014, 08:48 PM
Imagine a comeback of record C with delta brakes, all re engineered with carbon and aluminum. That will put them in the spot again big time... 4 arms... my as$

Hey, a four-arm spider was good enough for Gino Bartali, it should be good enough for us . . . .:p

On the aesthetic side, it seems like it's a race to the bottom, at least as far as cranks go. The Shimano ones look crappy to my eye, and these new Campy ones or only marginally less crappy-looking to me.

I also see a bid to make all old chainwheels obsolete while still not being interchangeable with Shimano. And if they were going to go the route of having the crank fit both regular and compact double CRs, what was wrong with using the tried-and-true, tons-of-replacement-parts-available five-arm 110mm bcd standard?

Lewis Moon
05-10-2014, 09:39 PM
The FD arm and crankset look like Shimano, a lot :)

Hate that it does.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Looks to me they are following the big S, perhaps to consolidate around new standards. Fewer SKUs, etc. but whatever the reason, they can't escape the obvious similarity to Shimano, and that signals me that they are following rather than innovating. It's been a while since C led as an innovator. I'd like to see them break through and do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

ultraman6970
05-11-2014, 12:17 AM
I agree with what you say... personally dont have any bad to say about the looking of shimano or campy 4 arms configuration but darn it makes your life harder at the time to get new chainrings. No idea how shimano people is dealing with the problem right now anyways because havent seen after market of those 4 arms ones yet. Even if there are, pricing should be mean, not even want to think in campagnolo ones.

As you mentioned, wasnt easier just go 110 and reinfoce the chainrings with nerves or something to stiffen the large chainrings? that would simplify things a little bit for everybody.

Campagnolo is just trying to find its way again as usually happens with them each 3 to 5 years.

Hey, a four-arm spider was good enough for Gino Bartali, it should be good enough for us . . . .:p

On the aesthetic side, it seems like it's a race to the bottom, at least as far as cranks go. The Shimano ones look crappy to my eye, and these new Campy ones or only marginally less crappy-looking to me.

I also see a bid to make all old chainwheels obsolete while still not being interchangeable with Shimano. And if they were going to go the route of having the crank fit both regular and compact double CRs, what was wrong with using the tried-and-true, tons-of-replacement-parts-available five-arm 110mm bcd standard?

sante pollastri
05-11-2014, 12:46 AM
Funny ya might want to remind them their biz has increased every year since 1991. Show us your shimano bike please?

And since it 'looks' like shimano, I guess they are dead......also.

Sorry,I'VE no bikes.

sante pollastri
05-11-2014, 12:48 AM
btw,this is a first step toward mechanical precision:hello:

mcteague
05-11-2014, 06:04 AM
So, sad. I always thought a nice looking crank was the centerpiece of a group. Lately, you just want to look away; I'm talking about you Shimano and Sram. Campy always had the best looking cranks IMO and my Chorus UT is at least nice looking.

Tim

sante pollastri
05-11-2014, 06:22 AM
Look?
first of all a crank is requested to work,then you look,possibly,for aesthetic.
Campagnolo only think to cover aluminium with carbon,just go look.

oldpotatoe
05-11-2014, 06:23 AM
Looks to me they are following the big S, perhaps to consolidate around new standards. Fewer SKUs, etc. but whatever the reason, they can't escape the obvious similarity to Shimano, and that signals me that they are following rather than innovating. It's been a while since C led as an innovator. I'd like to see them break through and do that again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

'While', first to 9s, 10s and 11s, 2009...5 years, I guess that is a long time.

And for just above, I've cut a Campagnolo carbon crank in pieces..no aluminum in there.

Sante=you don't ride a bike? I are confused...

Joachim
05-11-2014, 06:26 AM
The only nice looking carbon crank I think (the newer ones are just tools for me)

mcteague
05-11-2014, 06:30 AM
The only nice looking carbon crank I think (the newer ones are just tools for me)

Looks nearly identical to the new Campy carbon cranks to me.

Tim

oldpotatoe
05-11-2014, 06:33 AM
Looks nearly identical to the new Campy carbon cranks to me.

Tim

My last post on this of an admitted Campagnolo fan boy..it's a crankset and a prototype..'beauty' or not doesn't mean anything to me..'ugly hammer', 'beautiful phillips head'...'gorgeous nail driver'

I find it interesting that there are those that dream back to the 'good old days' of 144mm BCD, freewheels, and hand strength testers, brakes...and decry that Campagnolo should do a aluminum Delta group and the others who say Campagnolo is a follower, not leader, in bike stuff...

Campagnolo decided to go for a 2 BCD CR..like FSA and shimano..I'll bet the small 's' does too...built yerself a 34/52, 36/53, 38/55, 34/50, 36/50(which I prefer), etc.......and not have to buy a new, very expensive, crank..

merlincustom1
05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Why the curved RD? Looks like crap, and the curve adds what to functionality?

Joachim
05-11-2014, 06:41 AM
Campagnolo decided to go for a 2 BCD CR..like FSA and shimano..I'll bet the small 's' does too...built yerself a 34/52, 36/53, 38/55, 34/50, 36/50(which I prefer), etc.......and not have to buy a new, very expensive, crank..

Yes, this is great. 9000 even has a 52/38 which I really like.

sante pollastri
05-11-2014, 06:53 AM
'While', first to 9s, 10s and 11s, 2009...5 years, I guess that is a long time.

And for just above, I've cut a Campagnolo carbon crank in pieces..no aluminum in there.

Sante=you don't ride a bike? I are confused...

try to do the same with the front der or with the rd,have you seen the superleggero FD?
And not,I'VE no bikes:-)
You AM confused?
May be....

r_mutt
05-11-2014, 06:56 AM
how does the new OT cranks fit in with all of this? seems odd to release a new crank and then completely change the design for the range the very next year.

csm
05-11-2014, 07:24 AM
Does this mean the sr 11 eps will be cheaper by the end of summer? Cuz I've got a build planned....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

shovelhd
05-11-2014, 07:50 AM
Integrated spider. Hmm. How will power be added? Don't say Stages.

Joachim
05-11-2014, 08:09 AM
Integrated spider. Hmm. How will power be added? Don't say Stages.

Probably the same SRM did with 9000, custom spider and cranks.

shovelhd
05-11-2014, 08:19 AM
Does 9000 have an integrated spider?

saab2000
05-11-2014, 08:57 AM
Does this mean the sr 11 eps will be cheaper by the end of summer? Cuz I've got a build planned....

I bet next-gen EPS isn't far off; a year or so. And I bet it's going to be nice.

I say the shifters will be wireless, like an automobile key fob. The derailleurs and battery will still be wired to the 'brain' of the unit but shifters will be wireless.

Just like I grew to like 9000, I think this stuff will grow on a lot of people.

csm
05-11-2014, 12:21 PM
^^wireless would be cool. If this next build comes to happen like i suspect it will I will use the current generation eps rather than wait...
I can always upgrade later.

Joachim
05-11-2014, 01:29 PM
Does 9000 have an integrated spider?

Looks like it.

That's why the SRM 9000 is a 'custom' crankset.

Joachim
05-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Like this

mcteague
05-12-2014, 06:03 AM
Oh no! Check out the Scram-like branding on the crankarm and brake levers. Very disappointing.

Tim

thirdgenbird
05-12-2014, 09:35 AM
Well, I'm not a fan of big graphics but it could be worse. At least it is a fairly simple graphic design wise. No silly pattern (sram) just different colors (9000). A dark version may look good.

rain dogs
05-12-2014, 02:30 PM
Tough to really see accurate indications from the picture, and who knows what concept iteration that is.... is it 1 of 100, or the final?

With that said, the form looks better than the proto... more balanced, very similar to the old four star Record, just more beefy and symmetrical.

The graphics are ok. Campagnolo certainly seems to have evolved their design language from "Jewelry/Precious" to "Race/RS/Werks"

Still preferred to Shimano, whose design language seems to be "Car/Acura" which is just wrong IMHO.

and I'm not super fond of SRAM's which is more "Mech/Cyborg/Robot"

crownjewelwl
05-12-2014, 02:48 PM
no matter how it looks, we'll still buy it

joke is on us!

FastforaSlowGuy
05-12-2014, 02:57 PM
I have my fingers crossed for reach adjustment at the levers. I really like the feel of the current levers, and I would have put Campy on my new bike if I could reach those dang brake levers from the drops.

eBAUMANN
05-12-2014, 03:02 PM

joke is on us!

gotta agree with this…the reaction to the 9000 crank was very similar…now its the hottest group on the block...

timto
05-12-2014, 03:19 PM
Oh no! Check out the Scram-like branding on the crankarm and brake levers. Very disappointing.

Tim

OH i'm liking it. I like how the shifters seem less bulbous too.

nathanong87
05-12-2014, 03:24 PM

joke is on us!

http://media.ziptied.com/members/files/270/gifs/sotheresickburn.gif

lukasz
05-12-2014, 03:54 PM
gotta agree with this…the reaction to the 9000 crank was very similar…now its the hottest group on the block...

That's cuz the people that complain about it on the internet number in the tens, while the people who buy stuff number in the tens of thousands. Weird bicycle message boards (I count myself as part of this world) are not the market.

dana_e
05-12-2014, 04:09 PM
since I just sold off my 135 bolt circle collection. maybe it adds room for a power meter. Go Campy!! Hopefully so offset funny business with the rings. I guess SRAM is next with 4 bolts. Change is good right. The rear mech looks like the pinarello fork of the rear mech world

Bob Ross
05-12-2014, 04:41 PM
Gah! My eyes!!!

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2014/05/10/2/campagnolo_proto_01_1600_670.jpg

Argghh... seriously, I may have to stockpile a 2014 gruppo for a forthcoming frame. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but cot day-um that is one fugly crank.

crownjewelwl
05-12-2014, 05:42 PM

I hated it at first and now I'm spec'ing it for my new build...marketing works with suckas like me!

firerescuefin
05-12-2014, 05:52 PM
I hated it at first and now I'm spec'ing it for my new build...marketing works with suckas like me!

Longer I look at, the more I like it.

SPOKE
05-12-2014, 06:05 PM
Maybe use the 80th group I have is starting to look pretty good....:)

Still don't know what I'm going to hang on the 10th anniversary Kirk....

r_mutt
05-12-2014, 06:53 PM
It's not bad at all- better than the Dura Ace 9000 Crank. that is really ugly- but i'd still hit it!

fuzzalow
05-13-2014, 06:05 AM
That new prototype Campagnolo crank is most unfortunate. I hope it never leaves the shakedown stage of development and becomes a "SOB!?!? - What were we thinking!?" moment of clarity for the managers that could green light this rollout.

There is not even a trace of Campy's identity and design lineage in this crankset that I can see. Campy tossed out Pinanfarina-esque curves for Japan inspired Go-Bots. Which is a misread attempt at boldness that plays as more tone deaf than bold. For example like the misfire in the entire run of Bangle-designed BMWs.

The Modonna del Ghisallo is crying.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 06:21 AM
That new prototype Campagnolo crank is most unfortunate. I hope it never leaves the shakedown stage of development and becomes a "SOB!?!? - What were we thinking!?" moment of clarity for the managers that could green light this rollout.

There is not even a trace of Campy's identity and design lineage in this crankset that I can see. Campy tossed out Pinanfarina-esque curves for Japan inspired Go-Bots. Which is a misread attempt at boldness that plays as more tone deaf than bold. For example like the misfire in the entire run of Bangle-designed BMWs.

The Modonna del Ghisallo is crying.

big sigh..first it's a prototype, second function and utility trumps personal feelings about 'beauty' of a bicycle crankset. People whined about latest gen XTR, one even said it looked like a swastika..yikes..it is one of the best performing cranksets ever made for MTB..

If y'all are that sweated up about it, don't buy it and when you want to go from that 53/39 to 36/52, well, pony up another $750-$1000 for that SR crank...now NOS.

fuzzalow
05-13-2014, 06:46 AM
big sigh..first it's a prototype, second function and utility trumps personal feelings about 'beauty' of a bicycle crankset.

Cool. I did not miss that this crank is a prototype and presaged that fact as the context for the rest of my comments.

In reply to your bolded remark, I was referring as much to Campy's aesthetic lineage as also to my "personal feelings" about the aesthetics. And I stated precisely that also in my comments.

Companies spend a lot of time and effort differentiating themselves as far as branding, look & feel, historical significance & lineage, etc. Campy has a history and Italian design qualities that IMO was not carried forth correctly in this new crank.

I do not agree that functionality and utility trumps feeling. The best products always combine performance and aesthetics and never give short-shrift to the value of beauty and emotion in creating desirability for their product or with their consumers. See Ferrari, Apple, Bang&Olufsen, Snap-On, Herman Miller, etc.

oldpotatoe
05-13-2014, 08:27 AM
Cool. I did not miss that this crank is a prototype and presaged that fact as the context for the rest of my comments.

In reply to your bolded remark, I was referring as much to Campy's aesthetic lineage as also to my "personal feelings" about the aesthetics. And I stated precisely that also in my comments.

Companies spend a lot of time and effort differentiating themselves as far as branding, look & feel, historical significance & lineage, etc. Campy has a history and Italian design qualities that IMO was not carried forth correctly in this new crank.

I do not agree that functionality and utility trumps feeling. The best products always combine performance and aesthetics and never give short-shrift to the value of beauty and emotion in creating desirability for their product or with their consumers. See Ferrari, Apple, Bang&Olufsen, Snap-On, Herman Miller, etc.

One of the most beautiful groups ever, IMHO, was Croce de Aune, with CDA brakes, that worked like crap. Same fir CRecord with Syncro 1 or 2 shifters. Same for Record OR, and when compared to XTR almost put Campagnolo under.

Like I said, if ya don't like it, don't buy it but don't bemoan unique 135 or 110/112 bolt diameters when it comes to changing your gearing, when ya need a $zillion crank.

FlashUNC
05-13-2014, 08:31 AM
Given the rather striking marbled carbon finish of their current gen UT cranks, I doubt Campy would do anything less for their next gen stuff.

My guess is this is a similar to the test mules we see around Detroit whenever new cars are being developed.

Will it look something like this? Sure, but if Campy's proved anything over the last decade plus with their road groups, their carbon-y bits will be very slick looking.

soulspinner
05-13-2014, 09:11 AM
Gah! My eyes!!!

Argghh... seriously, I may have to stockpile a 2014 gruppo for a forthcoming frame. Was hoping it wouldn't come to that, but cot day-um that is one fugly crank.

Said the same thing about Campags latest shifters. Sure did enjoy em for a few hours yesterday, though..:p

dpk501
05-13-2014, 12:10 PM
... second function and utility trumps personal feelings about 'beauty' of a bicycle crankset.

Well said!!!

But if those shifter decals are the final, I'll be doing a little bit of cover up.

I think the reaction is more towards that campy has veered aesthetically in such a rapid cycle from it's more usual form. I'm starting to like the look much more and if it makes campy a better group then I'm down for it!

sante pollastri
05-13-2014, 12:42 PM
One of the most beautiful groups ever, IMHO, was Croce de Aune, with CDA brakes, that worked like crap. Same fir CRecord with Syncro 1 or 2 shifters. Same for Record OR, and when compared to XTR almost put Campagnolo under.

Like I said, if ya don't like it, don't buy it but don't bemoan unique 135 or 110/112 bolt diameters when it comes to changing your gearing, when ya need a $zillion crank.

I completely agree.

burntstew
05-13-2014, 11:37 PM
Gah! My eyes!!!

agreed.

cinema
05-14-2014, 12:02 AM
am i the only one who thinks it's kinda cool...

eBAUMANN
05-14-2014, 12:18 AM

i don't mind em...the current crank-arm bolt design is (aesthetically) a 4 arm spider already, just spaced differently and not-quite as beefy.

what they do with the branding/logos will push it one way or the other, hopefully they keep it simple and classy a la white label SR.

makoti
05-14-2014, 12:51 AM

At first look, I didn't care for it. After a few more, it's not so bad. Doesn't make me drool like the first time I saw a Record crank in the 90s, but not bad.

oldpotatoe
05-14-2014, 07:21 AM

I think it's very Italian, very elegant..I think it were the first 4 arm, all BCD crank, and not so much like shimano..people would call it Italiano and swoopy and sexy..like a Lambo or something..I like it..they took an easy to make, aluminum 'design', and made it in carbon..exotic....

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-17-2014, 06:14 PM

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 12:13 PM
According to ww there are more leaked images that also show new brakes.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=117023&start=360

Can anyone see these photos? Is there another source?

Edit: found them.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wOPnPt6sryc/U3sDL8LkbtI/AAAAAAAATAE/_ds840FhnL0/s1600/QQ+Photo20140520092002.jpg
I don't mind this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-sLOhnkRAhek/U3sDMwIIbuI/AAAAAAAATAA/MGOJ2m__X90/s1600/Unnamed+QQ+Screenshot20140520092227.png
Eps style thumb levers on mechanical groups? (Maybe just one click power shift)

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-d5uo8dz9zaE/U3sDL1KSmUI/AAAAAAAAS_0/sN8xB1lAbpo/s1600/QQ+Photo20140520092210.jpg
Older adjuster and shimano style pads. I'm guessing they may be veloce. Everything else is already skeleton. (Assuming centaur goes away as rumored)

I don't mind the crankset. The Athena/veloce changes may help appeal to the masses and lower costs. Brakes could be made by tektro like the cx ones.

bluesea
05-21-2014, 12:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/roT7IX6l.jpg (http://imgur.com/roT7IX6)

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Chorus eps appears to be relabeled Athena derailleurs as expected.

I'm guessing the levers are the same Athena body with a chorus brake blade instead to the alloy one.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-l160UGZtqkE/U3sDL2UDjRI/AAAAAAAAS_w/wTbimmfk1as/s1600/QQ+Photo20140520091920.jpg

The more I look at it, the more the crankset looks odd without the branding around the spindle. I would vote for either Campagnolo in script or the shied on the arm and then the groupset name in small letters around the spindle.

4Rings6Stars
05-21-2014, 12:39 PM
The crank is not my favorite, but I certainly don't hate it. I like the subtle graphics in the pictures shown here, I hope the final product is closer to this than the other branding we saw.

I also don't mind the DA 9000 crank (and I'm a campy guy)...so maybe I just have bad taste.

wooly
05-21-2014, 12:40 PM
Looks better to me than the initial shots. Still doesn't seem classic enough for Campy but it will grow on me for sure. Definitely seems to make the Shimano gear look more traditional. If purely going on aesthetics (and not country source) I think people will now be asking "carbon crank or metal?"

themashlife
05-21-2014, 01:38 PM
Wow those cranks are horrible looking! Definetly shimano inspired. I honestly feel like SRAM is the better looking bang for your buck these days.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2014, 01:41 PM
Wow those cranks are horrible looking! Definetly shimano inspired. I honestly feel like SRAM is the better looking bang for your buck these days.

And you get to replace so much, so often...

Compact cranks are a given these days. Multi BCD cranks is the future and sram, is third, once more.

FlashUNC
05-21-2014, 01:53 PM
The finish looks much better on the photos than the test mule for the pro bike.

Its a good switch and I think the crank looks cool. Means there'll be some serious closeouts later this year...

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Is this a joke? Red and force 22 are not cheap.

hida yanra
05-21-2014, 02:24 PM
And you get to replace so much, so often...

ding ding ding! :banana:
made my day, thanks (:

Multi BCD cranks is the future and sram, is third, once more.

Yeah, and their margins thank them for not going down all the dead-ends that "innovator" companies chase. All three companies have meaningfully discrete business models. SRAM is keeping their model going, and doing pretty well by it. (not that I'll buy any more of their products, just saying that winning the weight game, the graphics game, and the "feature-marketing" game are going just fine for them on the sales front.)

r_mutt
05-21-2014, 02:41 PM
ding ding ding! :banana:
made my day, thanks (:

Yeah, and their margins thank them for not going down all the dead-ends that "innovator" companies chase. All three companies have meaningfully discrete business models. SRAM is keeping their model going, and doing pretty well by it. (not that I'll buy any more of their products, just saying that winning the weight game, the graphics game, and the "feature-marketing" game are going just fine for them on the sales front.)

they are winning the "get your group on a manufacturer bike game". the "graphics game"? that's a question of taste. they are also winning the 'offer BIG discounts to racers game". until 3-4 years into the game, the racers get tired of replacing broken parts every 8 months and switch back to Shimano.

Netdewt
05-21-2014, 03:12 PM
http://i.imgur.com/roT7IX6l.jpg (http://imgur.com/roT7IX6)

I still hate it. It couldn't be worse IMO.

tuscanyswe
05-21-2014, 03:14 PM
Think they can look pretty good on the right bike. Problem is i dont perticularly like the look of these "right bikes". It would look pretty horrible on the bikes i like or atleast i would think so but im holding off till i actually c one. The old cranks worked great on fat carbon and older steel frames, i dont c these cranks providing that versatility.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2014, 03:16 PM

Worse...it could be discrete 53/39 and a different 50/34(6)....

Netdewt
05-21-2014, 03:24 PM
Worse...it could be discrete 53/39 and a different 50/34(6)....

Do you mean, the compact and the standard could be totally different setups?

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 03:28 PM

It could be a lot worse.

Think they can look pretty good on the right bike. Problem is i dont perticularly like the look of these "right bikes". It would look pretty horrible on the bikes i like or atleast i would think so but im holding off till i actually c one. The old cranks worked great on fat carbon and older steel frames, i dont c these cranks providing that versatility.

Agreed. It probably looks perfect on a venge or tcr but this guy doesn't want a venge or tcr.

Netdewt
05-21-2014, 03:56 PM
It could be a lot worse.

How so? I mean... did they try and make them as ugly as possible, just to see if anyone would buy it?

oldpotatoe
05-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Do you mean, the compact and the standard could be totally different setups?

2 distinct cranks instead of one so for your trip to the Alps, you would need a $750 crank instead of $200 in chainrings...I'd say that's 'worse'.

Or a crank with crappy soft chainrings and black/yellow/red decal over it with a $150 bb that goes south first time you ride it in the wet....I'd say that's worse. Folding chainrings and then ones that don't even shift with their fd,I'd say that's worse.

rain dogs
05-21-2014, 04:17 PM
Not my favorite, but the crank on the left looks much better than the crank on the right. It's funny that although the Campagnolo crank is carbon, and the Shimano aluminum, somehow Shimano design their crank to look like injection molded plastic. It doesn't say race, it says kids toy... looks heavier/inflated too.

http://i.imgur.com/roT7IX6l.jpghttp://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/large/SHI/SHI0597/ONECOL.jpg

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 04:19 PM
How so? I mean... did they try and make them as ugly as possible, just to see if anyone would buy it?

Have you ever seen a 7900 crankset? Makes this look like a beauty queen.

Will this new crankset look as good as the last on a traditional steel bike? No, but...

Its lack of graphics makes it better looking than sram and FSA.

The shape also isn't bad in the context of a modern carbon frame. It probably looks right at home next to the downtube on a c60.

There are plenty of uglier cranksets and I'm sure there are plenty my more to come.

Look at it like the Mura vs the Aventador. The Mura is desperately pretty but the (unattractive) Aventador outperforms it in every way. The same can be said about thousands of other cars, motorcycles, and bicycles. Don't expect this trend to change any time soon.

rustychisel
05-21-2014, 07:47 PM
Is this one of those entirely pointless conversations which pop up on the web from time to time?

Those that like it will buy it
those that hate it won't
those who can't afford it will complain about the price
those that can, and buy, will complain about the price
Shimano users won't cross over
SRAM users still won't have a clue
retro grouchies will stay with their 10sp
nuovo retro grouchies will want an alloy version

and in 3 years time it will look entirely normal

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 07:50 PM
Is this one of those entirely pointless conversations which pop up on the web from time to time?

those that hate it won't

and in 3 years time it will look entirely normal

Well put.

sevencyclist
05-21-2014, 08:19 PM
I just got a set of new Rene Herse cranks for a classic looking bike. Looks great, but performance is nothing like the modern campy. Wish the visual goodness can be married to performance goodness. But I guess since I am not racing, I can shift slowly and wait for the gears to catch while looking good.

Netdewt
05-21-2014, 08:29 PM
I'm still a retro grouchy! I thought I was so modern, haha. :banana:

Have you ever seen a 7900 crankset? Makes this look like a beauty queen.
I would buy anything in the 2014 lineup. I guess that has to change eventually. I never liked recent Shimano cranks either.

Look at it like the Mura vs the Aventador
I also thought of this while mowing the lawn tonight. Or Porsche 911 pre-964 vs post.

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 08:38 PM
The 964 is still a pretty car. I would equate it to late 8/early 9 campy with the pointed ergos. Modernish, but very traditional

10spd would be the 993. Lots of modern stuff (ultratorque and carbon) but still rooted in tradition

Current 11spd is sorta the 997. Modern in every right, but you can see and feel the linage

The future 11spd stuff is polarizing like the 991. Larger and missing traditional features (no manual in a gt3)

Escape/powershift is the 996. A financial decision that helped the bottom line but disappointed purists

Anyway, now that I've wasted everyone's time...

choke
05-21-2014, 08:58 PM

those that hate it won't

and in 3 years time it will look entirely normalI would agree with pretty much everything except the last line. That crank would only look 'normal' in an alternate universe.

Netdewt
05-21-2014, 09:09 PM
The 964 is still a pretty car. I would equate it to late 8/early 9 campy with the pointed ergos. Modernish, but very traditional

10spd would be the 993. Lots of modern stuff (ultratorque and carbon) but still rooted in tradition

Current 11spd is sorta the 997. Modern in every right, but you can see and feel the linage

The future 11spd stuff is polarizing like the 991. Larger and missing traditional features (no manual in a gt3)

Escape/powershift is the 996. A financial decision that helped the bottom line but disappointed purists

Anyway, now that I've wasted everyone's time...

I mis-wrote. 964 is one of my favorites. I was trying to say air vs water cooled.

Will Campy and Shimano try wireless, or is it a Sram gimmick?

thirdgenbird
05-21-2014, 09:22 PM
I mis-wrote. 964 is one of my favorites. I was trying to say air vs water cooled.

Will Campy and Shimano try wireless, or is it a Sram gimmick?

993 is air cooled as well.

I'm guessing they will get there but I expect a different approach.

rwsaunders
05-21-2014, 10:41 PM

You're making me feel bad RC, as I just moved up to 10 speed last Summer...:cool:

apeescape
05-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Wire-less drivetrains are just like Hydro-disc road bikes. Adding complexity where it is unnecessary to be different and make money.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2014, 06:39 AM
Wire-less drivetrains are just like Hydro-disc road bikes. Adding complexity where it is unnecessary to be different and make money.

bing, bing, bing, we have a winner!!!

How is a wireless electro mechanical shifting better for the professional in the peloton?? What does it enable him to do that he can't so with either wired Electro or mechanical?

ergott
05-22-2014, 06:58 AM
You have to think outside your own personal paradigm to understand why other people want what you don't. This bike solves all my problems that previous bikes didn't. Low pressure tubeless with sealant, shifting that requires less maintenance, braking that works better in all conditions. Plus, the rims don't become a black mess in the wet. You may not need all these things, but I sure wanted this bike.

I don't care what the pros want or need.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-BSJ5nqd/0/XL/CoffeegrinderUpdate-4-XL.jpg

oldpotatoe
05-22-2014, 08:18 AM
You have to think outside your own personal paradigm to understand why other people want what you don't. This bike solves all my problems that previous bikes didn't. Low pressure tubeless with sealant, shifting that requires less maintenance, braking that works better in all conditions. Plus, the rims don't become a black mess in the wet. You may not need all these things, but I sure wanted this bike.

I don't care what the pros want or need.

http://ergottwheels.smugmug.com/Cycling/The-bikes/i-BSJ5nqd/0/XL/CoffeegrinderUpdate-4-XL.jpg

I'd say your bike is somewhat 'out of the box' also. Most enthusiast riders want something more like what they see.....in the peloton.

I'd say Spec-ed sells more Tarmac with 6800/5800 than something with di2 and disc brakes/fenders.

And I don't care either but the bike manufacturers sure care what they put under the 'pro'..'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' applies hugely.

..I'll bet pros don't care either, as long as it works BUT

That wasn't my question...and my bikes solve all issues for my rides as well, although my bikes are completely different than yours.

What advantage does wireless electro-mechanical shifting bring to the professional peloton. What will they be able to accomplish that they cannot now.

Question for this here discussion group, discuss or don't.

saab2000
05-22-2014, 08:39 AM
Not my favorite, but the crank on the left looks much better than the crank on the right. It's funny that although the Campagnolo crank is carbon, and the Shimano aluminum, somehow Shimano design their crank to look like injection molded plastic. It doesn't say race, it says kids toy... looks heavier/inflated too.

http://i.imgur.com/roT7IX6l.jpghttp://www.competitivecyclist.com/images/items/large/SHI/SHI0597/ONECOL.jpg

That's pretty harsh. It's not a kid's toy. It's an adult's toy! :banana:

As for looking heavy/inflated... Not sure what to say about that. I have a bike with 9000 and when I was installing it the stuff felt awfully light.

At this point in my cycling career I'm sort of ambivalent on the equipment choices as long as they work.

I am sort of in the market for a molded carbon bike I can't decide if I'll go with Shimano or Campagnolo on the next one. I've had both now and they work equally well in my opinion. I have no preference though I've had a lifetime of Campagnolo bikes.

I think in a year the new crank will make the current style Campagnolo cranks look very dated. Yes, it's clearly 'inspired' by the Shimano crank but I think it looks very nice and will be very versatile with the chainring choices. And I bet it's light and stupid stiff to boot.

I think it's going to look great on the right bikes.

ergott
05-22-2014, 08:45 AM
Electric shifting allows the pro-peletoners bikes that have more internal routing which is more aerodynamic. When you try to route shifter cables like that they kink and don't shift as well.

Shimano shift levers don't rattle like they used to. I never liked the fact that the brake blade is used for shifting. On more than one occasion, I have tried to swing the brake blade in only to tap the brakes. I blame much of that coming from riding Campagnolo for all these years, but it's still a thing. Also, Di2 levers are less bulky than their mechanical counterparts. I finally like the ergonomics of Shimano.

A mechanic also can replace a broken lever or shifter while leaving the wires in place. I bet pro mechanics like that. Set up is even easier with electric once you get the hang of it, especially if you are working on 40 of the same brand/model bike.

The bike can still be at or below UCI weigh limits so any added weight isn't an issue.

I definitely see electric as an improvement for cutting edge race bikes like the pros use.

ergott
05-22-2014, 08:49 AM
I'd say your bike is somewhat 'out of the box' also. Most enthusiast riders want something more like what they see.....in the peloton.

PS- much of my initial commentary was for apeescape's post. I just don't think it's fair to say every advancement coming out right now has no real benefit and is just to make money. Of course they want to make money. I don't mind if they do so long as I reap the benefits.

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 08:53 AM

I'd say Spec-ed sells more Tarmac with 6800/5800 than something with di2 and disc brakes/fenders.

And I don't care either but the bike manufacturers sure care what they put under the 'pro'..'win on Sunday, sell on Monday' applies hugely.

..I'll bet pros don't care either, as long as it works BUT

That wasn't my question...and my bikes solve all issues for my rides as well, although my bikes are completely different than yours.

What advantage does wireless electro-mechanical shifting bring to the professional peloton. What will they be able to accomplish that they cannot now.

Question for this here discussion group, discuss or don't.

Electronic does not do anything much better that mechanical does. People will jump in and talk about amazing front shifting etc… But it does not make any difference in the pro races, zero. No race has or will be won or lost because of electronics vs mechanical (assuming both are functioning normally). It is a different way to do the same thing with some very minor performance changes. Not a 'game changer' for the racer, it is a 'game changer' for the marketers that have to sell parts and bikes. I am not apposed to e-shifting, I just see it as a slightly different way of doing the same thing (albeit, for more $ and more technology involved).

FlashUNC
05-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Electronic does not do anything much better that mechanical does.

It's worth it for the ease of setup and maintenance alone.

ergott
05-22-2014, 09:14 AM
No race has or will be won or lost because of electronics vs mechanical (assuming both are functioning normally).

Chain-gate 2010?;)

thirdgenbird
05-22-2014, 09:15 AM

I've never found it a problem to set up or maintain mechanical. The only real challenges I've had are with front derailleur position and derailleur hanger alignment. Electronic doesn't change either of these. I'm not saying electronic isn't easier (I don't have it) but I wouldn't be willing to spend any money to upgrade to an easier system. Mechanical is at an acceptable level.

Now if someone wanted to trade my record 10 for eps even over, I would be willing to discuss. ;)

oldpotatoe
05-22-2014, 09:18 AM

Ease of setup as long as the wires are already strung. On some frames that seems like 75% of the job. Like a c59 where the holes were too small...making them bigger easy except the one for the Rder...which took about an hour of careful work to get the connector thru it. But yes, once strung...although der cables take some time also particularly if they are inside(work of the devil).

More consistent shifting over time....but methinks wireless will be less so.

IMHO

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:19 AM

Once again, sprint shifters. You should also talk to somebody who does time trials. I bet most of them would call Di2 a game changer.

redir
05-22-2014, 09:31 AM
I guess cyclingnews.com is down because the link is broken in the OP. Is this what you all are looking at?

http://www.cebucycling.com/index.php?topic=23856.0

If so it looks fine to me.

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Chain-gate 2010?;)

I did say functioning normally, and don't the e-groups come with chain catchers? Dropping a chain is still possible with any derailing system.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:34 AM
I did say functioning normally, and don't the e-groups come with chain catchers? Dropping a chain is still possible with any derailing system.

No chain catcher on 7970. Yes, I have dropped my chain on a stupidly rough road.

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 09:36 AM
Once again, sprint shifters. You should also talk to somebody who does time trials. I bet most of them would call Di2 a game changer.

Oh, how so? How many seconds does a button at the end of the bar save over a lever at the end of the bar. Please qualify your claim.

Are you assuming that I have never done a time trial or talked to a human who does?

oldpotatoe
05-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Electronic does not do anything much better that mechanical does. People will jump in and talk about amazing front shifting etc… But it does not make any difference in the pro races, zero. No race has or will be won or lost because of electronics vs mechanical (assuming both are functioning normally). It is a different way to do the same thing with some very minor performance changes. Not a 'game changer' for the racer, it is a 'game changer' for the marketers that have to sell parts and bikes. I am not apposed to e-shifting, I just see it as a slightly different way of doing the same thing (albeit, for more $ and more technology involved).

Question was about wireless not electronic/wired in general.

I think Eps is pretty keen, have it on my MXLeader....with Delta brakes and Campagnolo tubulars(Lambda)....

But it doesn't do anything better for me, when compared to retro friction CRecord MXLeader, for me and my riding.

thirdgenbird
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
I guess cyclingnews.com is down because the link is broken in the OP. Is this what you all are looking at?

http://www.cebucycling.com/index.php?topic=23856.0

If so it looks fine to me.

Negative. This group is very pretty in my opinion. Look back a few pages. I've got pics. New 4 arm crankset and offset RD.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Not assuming anything. I don't own a TT bike but know plenty of people that do, and the ability to shift in more than one position was a game changer for them.

redir
05-22-2014, 09:49 AM
Negative. This group is very pretty in my opinion. Look back a few pages. I've got pics. New 4 arm crankset and offset RD.

Oh God! I see what you mean. :eek:

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 09:50 AM
Question was about wireless not electronic/wired in general.

I think Eps is pretty keen, have it on my MXLeader....with Delta brakes and Campagnolo tubulars(Lambda)....

But it doesn't do anything better for me, when compared to retro friction CRecord MXLeader, for me and my riding.

Opps, kinda missed that. For the record I am a happy mechanical camper and even run them olden days down tube shifters on one of my bikes.

Netdewt
05-22-2014, 09:55 AM
How long does the battery last on electronic groups anyways? What happens if it dies?

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 09:56 AM
Not assuming anything. I don't own a TT bike but know plenty of people that do, and the ability to shift in more than one position was a game changer for them.

Again, how does it actually make them faster? There are only two positions on a tt bike. Hands on the aero bars or hands on the handlebars. Are you saying that for these people they were bleeding massive amounts of time because of the coordinated effort to shift from the handlebars. 'Game changer' is a big claim. I am not saying that having satellite shifters on the handlebars is not a bit more convenient but…game changer?

FlashUNC
05-22-2014, 10:21 AM
How long does the battery last on electronic groups anyways? What happens if it dies?

I've had EPS for over a year now. Charged it twice, mostly out of my own paranoia than any definite "it's about to die" urgency. Campy says the battery will survive a couple hundred recharge cycles.

Admittedly I'm not the high mileage monster some folks are, but I really can't see charging the stuff more than a couple times a year, tops.

oldpotatoe
05-22-2014, 10:24 AM

I've been riding EPS for about 2 months, about 3-4 times per week, 2 hours about per ride. Check battery after each ride, still steady green(no charge needed). For EPS, rear der has a mechanical disconnect so you can manually put rear der on any cog. Not Di2....not sure what happens if battery dies.

ergott
05-22-2014, 10:53 AM
So if someone is willing to agree that electric has some advantages and in the same vein say that initial wiring is a pain than I can see a reason to consider wireless. I externally wired my bike so wireless has no appeal to me right now.

It seems like some people feel pressured to replace perfectly good components when something new comes along. I wouldn't have purchased a new group if I didn't have a new bike to put it one. I trickle down all my components and still have 2000 Record components on a couple of bikes.

If you currently have mechanical and you are fine with it then stick with what works. If you are buying new I would at least consider all options. Electric isn't for everybody, but I know lots of people that love the stuff.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
Again, how does it actually make them faster? There are only two positions on a tt bike. Hands on the aero bars or hands on the handlebars. Are you saying that for these people they were bleeding massive amounts of time because of the coordinated effort to shift from the handlebars. 'Game changer' is a big claim. I am not saying that having satellite shifters on the handlebars is not a bit more convenient but…game changer?

If you have raced a time trial, then you know it doesn't take massive bleeding of time to lose one. I get it. You don't like electronic, wired or otherwise. Fine with me.

ergott
05-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Game changer might be a bit bold, but any time out of the time trial position is lost time. At the professional level that can mean a win or second. There have been 40k time trials decided by mere seconds so I would say that every aero advantage counts.

For a road bike, any time out front means that every aero advantage counts. Final sprints are over 60kph. Typical aero testing for cycling is at 50kph and show decisive advantages and the difference grow at a cubed rate. I would argue that the most aerodynamic solution can decide a race in many circumstances such as solo breakaways and sprints.

It might be splitting hairs, but that's what professional racing is about.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 11:20 AM

I can only talk about 7970 STI as it is the only electronic group I have experience with. The front harness has an adjustment and charge level indicator. Holding either shift button down for two seconds reads the charge. Green is between 50-100%, blinking green is less than 50%, and red is charge now. I ride or race five to six days per week and a charge lasts me several months, although I have a custom seat post battery, not the stock item. If the charge gets too low, you lose FD shifting first before it dies.

Mark McM
05-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Game changer might be a bit bold, but any time out of the time trial position is lost time. At the professional level that can mean a win or second.

But hasn't that already been addressed with cable shifting? Most dedicated time trial bikes with cable shifting usually put the shifters on the aerobars, so riders don't have to get out of the aero position to shift. If anything, shifters on the base bar would be considered the 'remote' shifter position.

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
If you have raced a time trial, then you know it doesn't take massive bleeding of time to lose one. I get it. You don't like electronic, wired or otherwise. Fine with me.

Woa woa. I never said I did not like electronic, nor am I a retrogrouch. But, if you are are not in the aerobars then you are not in an aero position and having to move a hand from one bar to another to shift is not really compromising speed. That is my point. Not looking to pick a fight here at all, seriously. BTW I have raced a few time trials here in NA and across the pond.

Black Dog
05-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Game changer might be a bit bold, but any time out of the time trial position is lost time. At the professional level that can mean a win or second. There have been 40k time trials decided by mere seconds so I would say that every aero advantage counts.

For a road bike, any time out front means that every aero advantage counts. Final sprints are over 60kph. Typical aero testing for cycling is at 50kph and show decisive advantages and the difference grow at a cubed rate. I would argue that the most aerodynamic solution can decide a race in many circumstances such as solo breakaways and sprints.

It might be splitting hairs, but that's what professional racing is about.

Yes, but… what Mark McM said below that I was going to say. There is no additional aero advantage to having satellite shifters on the base bars. If your hands are on those bars you are already out of the aero position and moving your hand to the aero bars to make a shift is not going to slow you down.

But hasn't that already been addressed with cable shifting? Most dedicated time trial bikes with cable shifting usually put the shifters on the aerobars, so riders don't have to get out of the aero position to shift. If anything, shifters on the base bar would be considered the 'remote' shifter position.

ergott
05-22-2014, 01:00 PM
Buttons on the bar ends are more aero than levers which are rarely pointed straight forward. It's also easier to hide wires in the bars. You don't have to worry about kinking up the shift cables.

If you've ever wrenched on time trial bikes you can appreciate how annoying it is to route cables.

zap
05-22-2014, 01:10 PM
Woa woa. I never said I did not like electronic, nor am I a retrogrouch. But, if you are are not in the aerobars then you are not in an aero position and having to move a hand from one bar to another to shift is not really compromising speed. That is my point. Not looking to pick a fight here at all, seriously. BTW I have raced a few time trials here in NA and across the pond.

mkay…..It's nice to be able to shift when braking and accelerating and climbing (what, your going to sit down mid climb to reach for the aero mounted shifter) and nice to shift when aero.

hida yanra
05-22-2014, 01:35 PM
There is no additional aero advantage to having satellite shifters on the base bars. If your hands are on those bars you are already out of the aero position

Yes, but No.
1) There is a meaningful advantage if you want to shift while climbing on the base bar (no loss of torque from having one hand off the base bar), thus, going faster.

2) There is a meaningful advantage if you want to shift while negotiating tight turns on the base bar. Most "Prologue" time trials have at least one turn that will take you off the extensions, many prologues at the professional level have quite a few turns. The ability to sprint out of turns, while shifting matters a whole ton when these things are usually won by one second or so. Again, torque curves and optimizing them, that's an advantage.

Base-bar shifters don't have a significant advantage in my life as the TTs I do aren't technical enough to get me onto the basebar very much. But, that's got nothing to do with whether or not it is a meaningful advantage for someone, somewhere. How about this one- do you think that having the bike in one gear for the whole deceleration+acceleration out of each corner is faster than shifting through? (not to be forgotten, w/ basebar shifters, you can stay in a big gear for longer)
http://bikeraceinfo.com/images-all/giro-images/images02/prolog.gif
(Dominguez won by 1 second over Verbrugghe, 2002 Giro Prologue)

Thus- No, it isn't an "aero" advantage probably, but it certainly is an efficiency & power generation advantage.

Mark McM
05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Buttons on the bar ends are more aero than levers which are rarely pointed straight forward.

That's why they developed R2C (Return to Center) aerobar shifters. They always pointed forward.

It's also easier to hide wires in the bars. You don't have to worry about kinking up the shift cables.

If you've ever wrenched on time trial bikes you can appreciate how annoying it is to route cables.

I guess every bike is different, but on this setup the aerobar mounted shift cables (coming straight out of the back of the aerobar extensions) look like they are easier to route than the base bar mounted cables - and probably just as easy as electric cables. In this particular case, the base bar cables are for the brakes, but base bar mounted shifted cables would be at least as cumbersome.

http://www.tririg.com/articles/1005_R2C/650/1005_R2C_02.jpg

http://www.tririg.com/articles/2012_10_New_Zipp_Vuka_Aerobar/650/2012_10_New_Zipp_Vuka_Aerobar_5.jpg

hida yanra
05-23-2014, 04:04 PM
the "graphics game"?

for more clarity, that should have read, "the BIG GRAPHICS game..."

FlashUNC
06-23-2014, 03:53 PM
I have to admit, I like the finish on these. Better than those test mule pro cranks from the Giro:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2015-Campagnolo-Chorus-EPS-technical-details07-600x398.jpg

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/23/2015-campagnolo-chorus-eps-super-record-mechanical-tech-overview-actual-weights/

thirdgenbird
06-23-2014, 04:51 PM
They are getting easier and easier to look at.

Chorus brakes do look completely different by the way. The adjustment screw is on the top vs on the side. The barrel also looks threaded to the arm. Probably cost cutting. They look like a skelotonized version of centaur brakes. I would assume Athena brakes had the same change. The super record brakes appear to be carryover.

mike p
06-23-2014, 06:17 PM
That cranksets growing on me, I think it's hot.
I'm more of a shimano kinda guy but not a rabid one. I'd happily use either campy or shimano it's just that shimano offers more bang for the buck and to me a crankset is a tool not an art object. All other things equal (like cost and performance) I'd take a nice looking sexy crankset but all things are never equal and beauty is in the eyes of the beholder anyway.

Mike

soulspinner
06-23-2014, 06:49 PM
They are getting easier and easier to look at.

Chorus brakes do look completely different by the way. The adjustment screw is on the top vs on the side. The barrel also looks threaded to the arm. Probably cost cutting. They look like a skelotonized version of centaur brakes. I would assume Athena brakes had the same change. The super record brakes appear to be carryover.

I feel the same way about the new crank as I did the hoods on the current design. Now I think they are great but at first the look of them actually made me laugh when I first saw them. Think Im gonna order a Record 10 group and stash Veloce cassettes and chains. Next have Vecchios change the innards so I have the new hood and 10 speed..........ya, just crossed into RETROGROUCH

pbarry
06-23-2014, 07:00 PM
I have to admit, I like the finish on these. Better than those test mule pro cranks from the Giro:

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2015-Campagnolo-Chorus-EPS-technical-details07-600x398.jpg

http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/06/23/2015-campagnolo-chorus-eps-super-record-mechanical-tech-overview-actual-weights/

Thanks for the image and link. For sure the near production crank has been refined. There's a slight homage to the Mavic starfish cranks going on, (intentional or not). I dig it.

AngryScientist
06-23-2014, 07:14 PM
yea, i dig. by the time i'm ready for a new frame, i'm sure new mechanical chorus is going to be what's on the block.

Tony Edwards
06-23-2014, 09:01 PM
I happen to be building up a new bike at the moment (the Duende I bought from sbash), and am a dedicated Campy guy. Frankly I think the 2015 stuff looks distractingly ugly, so I feel perfectly comfortable buying the existing parts, even if they are at the end of the line.

thirdgenbird
06-23-2014, 09:48 PM
I feel the same way about the new crank as I did the hoods on the current design. Now I think they are great but at first the look of them actually made me laugh when I first saw them. Think Im gonna order a Record 10 group and stash Veloce cassettes and chains. Next have Vecchios change the innards so I have the new hood and 10 speed..........ya, just crossed into RETROGROUCH

I'm feeling the same. I want a fan of the new hoods when they came out but now I don't mind. The crankset was sort of the same way. I still think late record 10 is the best looking group from the carbon era, but I would gladly take a new group to go with it :)

(I have a few new veloce cassettes and centaur chains stashed away to go with the record 10)

Asudef
06-23-2014, 10:26 PM
Not a fan of the cranks but isn't that why they came out with the Comp Ultra which look like previous gen cranks?

I vastly prefer the 11s hoods to 10. In fact I've been trying to see if its possible to run 11s hood shape on my 10s bike.

Also, will the dogeared thumb lever only be on EPS or eventually migrating to mechanical?

thirdgenbird
06-23-2014, 10:34 PM
Not a fan of the cranks but isn't that why they came out with the Comp Ultra which look like previous gen cranks?

I vastly prefer the 11s hoods to 10. In fact I've been trying to see if its possible to run 11s hood shape on my 10s bike.

Also, will the dogeared thumb lever only be on EPS or eventually migrating to mechanical?

You can run veloce or centaur levers with your 10spd group to get the new shape.

The eps lever shape is coming to Veloce (perfect for your 10s bike) and Athena for 2015 but we likely won't see it on record, sr, or chorus as the lever shape doesn't allow for multi shift.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2014, 08:19 AM
I happen to be building up a new bike at the moment (the Duende I bought from sbash), and am a dedicated Campy guy. Frankly I think the 2015 stuff looks distractingly ugly, so I feel perfectly comfortable buying the existing parts, even if they are at the end of the line.

So you have a Record full sized crank and you want to make a trip to the Giro..and do all the famous climbs..but ya want a compact crank..older stuff?..Buy new crank or new crank? Buy 2 chainrings..the looks of any bike part really distract you? Means ya look at the crank rather than just riding the bike?

Compact is the present and future..mid compact specifically..52/36 ish..seeing the 2 premium component builders make cranks more useful, more flexible, gee a good thing..I haven't seen any crank that was really distracting other than maybe this one.

oldpotatoe
06-24-2014, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=Mark McM;1553073]That's why they developed R2C (Return to Center) aerobar shifters. They always pointed forward.

Why when I crimp by cable condoms, I always crimp for-aft..more aero.