PDA

View Full Version : Tubeless road wheels

LegendRider
02-13-2006, 01:53 PM
Shimano is now marketing a tubeless version of their Dura Ace wheel. Is this the future of clinchers? If pinch flats are reduced considerably, is this another nail in the tubular coffin? Will rolling resistance decrease without a tube? Will tires be different in any way to accomodate tubeless technology? I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts.

dirtdigger88
02-13-2006, 01:58 PM
stupid- stupid- stupid

who get pinch flats on road tires? People who dont pump up their tires-

right now- NO ONE makes tires for the wheels- though what one company will be by production of the wheels-

another nail- no

I can see these tires being sold as original equipment on bikes- but tubbies are not really ever sold like that- correct me if Im wrong

I dont see anyone who would buy tubbies- not buying tubbies because these POS's are out there-

junk junk junk-

Jason

wanderingwheel
02-13-2006, 02:31 PM
Tubeless road tires have been around for about 2 years now, mostly in the testing and design phase. Personally, I don't think these are an improvement over standard clinchers. Talking with some of the test riders, the tires ride like any other high-end clincher and are not noticably lighter or better handling. In the event of a flat, you just install a normal tube and keep going. Michelin and Hutchinson have been making tubeless road tires.

Fixed
02-13-2006, 02:45 PM
bro what is the point a peice of glass and you still have a flat .cheers :beer:

gdw
02-13-2006, 03:49 PM
If they actually ride as well as tubulars, which I doubt, they will be the tire of choice for serious racers. In theory they would be easier to mount and easier to maintain. Patching a puncture would be a lot less demanding than it is with current sew-ups. That said, I wouldn't bet the farm on them taking over the market in the near future.

alancw3
02-13-2006, 04:47 PM
i think it wise to keep an open mind to new technologies and innovations as they develop and improve. even though i very seldom if ever get a flat (just jinxed myself for sure) i think it would be great to carry a foldable tubeless spare tire so that when a flat occurred it would be simple to roadside fix.

just think it has only been about fifty years since the first tubeless tires began being used in mass on automobiles

dirtdigger88
02-13-2006, 04:52 PM
i think it wise to keep an open mind to new technologies and innovations as they develop and improve.

but why tubeless-

right now if you get a flat you replace a tube and go on (since most people ride clinchers- right)

so now you would have to carry an extra tire with you (I know not really - because you would just carry a tube like the MTB riders do) but lets say you would carry an extra tire- why not just run tubbies

I bet I am one of the few people here who normally run air pressure in my tires at 85 psi or so- most people are more in the 120 psi range-

I dont get pinch flats at 85 psi- how much lower would I want to go-

JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK JUNK-

Jason