PDA

View Full Version : Tire question

sloar
05-09-2014, 10:37 AM
I just built a bike using campagnolo proton rims. I installed a pair of continental ultra race wire bead tires. They are nearly impossible to install and i do not want to be out on a ride and fight the tire if I get a flat. Is the problem the wire bead or the rim? I was thinking about getting some kevlar folding tires to see if they are easier to install but want to make sure before i spend the money,. thanks.

fiamme red
05-09-2014, 10:45 AM
For me it's much easier to get a given tire mounted on an Open Pro than on a Proton.

batman1425
05-09-2014, 10:52 AM
Agreed... Campy wheels tend to be some of the most difficult rims to mount tires on. I had the same problem with a set of campy zondas. Either have a slightly larger ERD or a shallower center channel.

buldogge
05-09-2014, 01:32 PM
Shawn…Keep one of the steel-cored levers (Lezyne, Origin 8 are fine) in your saddle bag…these make popping the final bead section on Protons/Nucleons/etc. much easier, if necessary!

-Mark in St. Louis

oldpotatoe
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
I just built a bike using campagnolo proton rims. I installed a pair of continental ultra race wire bead tires. They are nearly impossible to install and i do not want to be out on a ride and fight the tire if I get a flat. Is the problem the wire bead or the rim? I was thinking about getting some kevlar folding tires to see if they are easier to install but want to make sure before i spend the money,. thanks.

Yes....Campagnolo wheels ARE a wee bit bigger AND wire beads harder to get on than foldable tires.

rwsaunders
05-09-2014, 04:04 PM
I wonder if the larger diameter rims are designed to function as somewhat of a rolling lawyer tab...

thwart
05-09-2014, 08:17 PM
For me it's much easier to get a given tire mounted on an Open Pro than on a Proton.

Nice comparison.

After struggling to mount (especially new) tires on Campy rims, seems that the same brand of tires will literally jump on Open Pros from across the room.

Seriously though, once they are mounted and stretched, odds are even those wire bead tires will be possible to work with if you flat somewhere… but bring some good levers...

ergott
05-09-2014, 08:27 PM
The same tricks I describe for tubeless rims can be used with any rim.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1545055&postcount=17

dekindy
05-10-2014, 04:57 AM
How do you keep those steel tire tools from chewing up rims? Based upon outstanding reviews by users I purchased some King titanium tire levers but could not use them.

Okay, just read the reply again and it says steel cored. Wish someone had told me that before I purchased the King levers.

etu
05-10-2014, 09:52 AM
The same tricks I describe for tubeless rims can be used with any rim.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1545055&postcount=17

1++
It is surprising how I stumbled on the optimal technique for putting on tires after two decades of riding and suffering through multiple flats and people showing me how to fix flats! :bike:

Keys to minimizing tire to rim size discrepancy
1) thin rim tape
2) seat bead of tire in the deepest part of rim well (part of rim with smallest circumference = more slack on tire bead)
3) finish at the stem since starting with stem takes up extra space on the rim

sloar
05-10-2014, 10:00 AM
I hate to admit it, but after over 20 years of cycling, I've never heard of the steel core levers. I had a flat the other day and broke 2 park tool plastic levers. I just ordered a 2 pack of the somas. Thanks

fogrider
05-11-2014, 01:01 AM
I hate to admit it, but after over 20 years of cycling, I've never heard of the steel core levers. I had a flat the other day and broke 2 park tool plastic levers. I just ordered a 2 pack of the somas. Thanks

the steel core levers are junk. the "steel" is just a thin piece of metal...I had a set and it they broke the first time out. when mounting new tires, use some soapy water to help the tires slip on. once on, the tires will stretch out and you should be able to pull them off on the road.