PDA

View Full Version : Black Hills, SD

etu
05-09-2014, 12:18 AM
Planning a 4-5 day tour through Black Hills down to western NE. Anyone familiar with the area? Sounds like the Mickelson trail from Deadwood to Edgemont might be a really nice ride.

weisan
05-09-2014, 04:41 AM
A long time ago, spiderman-pal and I talked about riding together in that area. I think he grew up there or something, so I am hoping he would chime in.

commonguy001
05-09-2014, 06:59 AM
The Mickelson is a great ride and the northern section between say Custer and Deadwood is the best part IMO and very scenic.
Some cool tunnels, a great view of Crazy Horse and some long mild grades to go up or down. Really nice mixed surface but skinny tires are not recommended. I've ridden it on 35s which were about perfect again IMO.

Having camped just outside of Custer a few times I've ridden it every time I've been out and really enjoy it.

Roddy Dowell
05-09-2014, 07:40 AM
Check out the Gold Rush Gravel Grinder.

jr59
05-09-2014, 07:50 AM
I've been there a lot. 15 years in a row.

Never on a bicycle, but on 2 wheels non the less

http://www.sturgismotorcyclerally.com

palincss
05-09-2014, 08:31 AM
If you ride in the Black Hills and fail to ride on Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road you are missing the treat of a lifetime.

The Mickelson Trail is interesting. Much of the time it felt as though we were riding through a Sergio Leone western. It's the only rail trail I've ever ridden on where you had to pay a toll to ride.

Hokey as it may seem, Mount Rushmore really is worth visiting.

redir
05-09-2014, 09:30 AM
I wish I had a bike when I was there but never did. I was doing Geologic mapping there back in '95. Beautiful place. Be real careful if it rains as the mud there gets incredibly slippery.

Ken C
05-09-2014, 09:53 AM
If you ride in the Black Hills and fail to ride on Needles Highway and Iron Mountain Road you are missing the treat of a lifetime.

The Mickelson Trail is interesting. Much of the time it felt as though we were riding through a Sergio Leone western. It's the only rail trail I've ever ridden on where you had to pay a toll to ride.

I just moved to Rapid City from Denver last August. I have ridden this ride twice now based on Steve's recommendation in an old thread. He is right this is one of the best loops I have done. You don't mention when you are comming, now is about the best time for that ride, before tourist season kicks in high gear. The loops can get pretty congested with trourists in the middle of the summer, but it is still very doable. You have to take care which direction you go, so you are not going uphill on Iron Mt Road when the road splits into one ways. It is easy to park and start at the Custer State Game Lodge and go towards Iron Mt Road first, up and over Mt Rushmore and then back on Needles Highway and then on the road that goes by the Black Hills Playhouse. The route is marked on every tourist map, just cut out the wildlife loop portion. It is a little over 50 miles.

The Mickelson trail is a nice ride. Easy to get water along the route in Hill City, Cutser and there are wells with pumps at some of the rest stops between Custer and Edgemont which is pretty arid. The best portion of the trail is near Mystic.

The mention of the Gold Rush Gravel Grinder is a good one. I wanted to do this, but I don't think I am good enough shape yet. There is hundreds of gravel roads in the Black Hills I have yet to explore, but will be doing so this summer.

TimD
05-09-2014, 10:10 AM

+1. It will make you feel good about the USA.

spiderman
05-09-2014, 08:34 PM
A long time ago, spiderman-pal and I talked about riding together in that area. I think he grew up there or something, so I am hoping he would chime in.

We still need to do this;)
My mom and sisters live out there...
1) mickelson trail -- 109 miles of limestone awesomeness!
2) spearfish canyon -- beautiful wide shoulder
Tailwind on a 4% grade seems like downhill climbing
3) dinosaur park in downtown rapid--love doing this fixed!
4) rapid to sylvan lake via needles highway past center lake
5) game lodge to blue bell via the wildlife loop
And buffalo on the trail (don't wear red) and donkeys at the entrance to Custer
Up to sylvan lake and back to the game lodge...
6) a ride out to hill city from rapid for lunch at the alpine inn is a hoot...
Just make sure you're there before 2pm
7) the iron creek gravel grinder on the crosser
Is a blast. Fished there my whole childhood as the creek there
Where my dad always out fished me. Surprised to find
The civilized camping and store at iron creek lake
When I rode that loop last summer while
My wife was doing the leading ladies marathon (all downhill)

Dang...when is it you'll be out there??
Would love to show you around:)

Dead Man
05-09-2014, 08:43 PM
Isn't that where Rocky Raccoon was from?

etu
05-09-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the great advice!
Will be there the week of Memorial Day.
Should have planned a longer stay.
Need to be in Scottsbluff NE by Thursday so will only have two days in the Black Hills area.
Getting really excited for this trip!

wildboar
05-10-2014, 08:35 AM
http://watch.sdpb.org/video/2365213550/