PDA

View Full Version : suntour superbe pro hub bearing diameter/ count

bike
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
hi, does anyone know what diameter bearings the front and rear suntour superbe pro track hubs use, and how many are in each side of the front/ rear hubs? im about to do some rebuilding on some hubs that ive never seen the insides of, but from what i understand they dont use loose bearings, they use retainers of some sort.

weehastogopee
05-08-2014, 01:11 PM
I think it did have a retainer because the innards of the bearing were from a modified cartridge bearing.

It might be of interest for you to simply replace the entire bearing with a new cartridge bearing.

This article has some insight to that:

http://leylandp38.wordpress.com/2010/09/26/replacing-sealed-bearings-on-a-suntour-superbe-pro-hub/

and this one..I think this one also has some more explanation to answer your question better than I did...

http://www.fixed.org.au/forums/f9/how-rebuild-superbe-pro-hubs-cartridge-bearings-13473/

bike
05-08-2014, 01:26 PM
thanks for the link man, i appreciate it! i actually read a DIY on changing them over to cartridge bearings which is sick, but i like that fact that these hubs are basically immortal, just keep changing the old bearings out and eventually the cones?

05-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Superbe Pro hubs actually changed a bit over their lifetime. Most of them have what looks like a sealed cartridge bearing that seats against the hub shell and then you have what looks like a flattened cone on the axle that bears against the inner race of the cartridge. Replacing them is just a matter of replacing the cartridge; if you get the right ones your little quasi-cone will seat right in them and you can change them in a few minutes.

ultraman6970
05-08-2014, 09:58 PM
Superbe and superbe pro from what I have seen are all lose balls, they look like cartridge bearings but are lose balls with a weird cone thingy similar to what campagnolo is using in the last generations of record hubs.

The bearings in those hubs are so good that I really doubt you will need to replace them at all, probably are better quality than campagnolos or shimano dura-ace ones.

Usually what dies in those hubs are the cones, not even the hub area where the hubs seat dies. So... open... clean... grease and ready to go. If the cone is pitted a little bit just smooth with sand paper or maybe a dremel a little bit, then polish the heck out of them. They wont get like when they were new but certainly better than before.

Good luck.

bike
05-08-2014, 10:39 PM
awesome, love to hear stuff like that. thanks!

bike
05-09-2014, 12:40 AM
nvm