PDA

View Full Version : Campy questions

tmf
05-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Both of my road bikes are currently fitted with Campy 10 drivetrains (mix of Record & Chorus). I'm thinking about taking one up to 11sp (mechanical), and may swap a few components in & out on the other bike. There are a few possible component pairings I want to verify will work together. It's mostly a QS/non-QS thing and I can't keep it straight what will definitely work perfectly together and what won't.

Can I use QS levers (Chorus 10) with a Chorus 11 front mech?

Can I use Record 11 levers with a Record 10 QS front mech?

What happens to the front shifting if I use Record 10 (non-QS) levers with a Record 10 QS front mech?

Another question that fits into my swapping scheme: Can the 11 speed front mechs swap their mounts around as I could with the 10 speed? If yes, can the swap be made between 10sp and 11sp? I'm at work right now, otherwise I would go out and take a look. I think I read somewhere that the 11 speed mounts are not interchangeable (and looking at pics on ebay seems to confirm).

Also, are there any of the older rear hubs that work for 10sp but won't work for 11sp? I think a couple of my wheelsets have Mirage/Veloce/Centaur 10sp rear hubs. If there are limitations, how do I determine if mine are 11sp compatible.

For anyone scratching their head or if specific details would help, here is what I have and the options I'm looking at. All told, the most I'll save is buying one 11sp front derailleur and possibly avoid re-taping one set of bars. My existing Chorus 10 QS levers are like new, the Record 10 levers are fairly old - that's why I'm considering making that swap. Otherwise, I would just leave Bike #2 as is.

Bike 1 (current):
Levers - Chorus 10 QS
Front Der - Record 10 QS (braze on)
Bike 2 (current):
Levers - Record 10 (non-QS)
Front Der - Chorus 11 (32mm)

Bike 1 (upgrade to 11sp):
Levers - Record 11
Front Der - Record 10 QS (b/o) or Chorus 11 (if I can swap the mount from 32mm to b/o)

If neither of those would work, I'll just buy a new Chorus 11 b/o front.

Bike 2 (option 1):
Levers - Chorus 10 QS
Front Der - Chorus 11 (32mm) or Record 10 QS

Bike 2 (option 2):
Front Der - Record 10 QS (only if I can swap the mount and if I can use it with non-QS levers)

It looks complicated all written out, but it's really just a few simple questions that will lead in one direction or another.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2014, 11:30 AM
Both of my road bikes are currently fitted with Campy 10 drivetrains (mix of Record & Chorus). I'm thinking about taking one up to 11sp (mechanical), and may swap a few components in & out on the other bike. There are a few possible component pairings I want to verify will work together. It's mostly a QS/non-QS thing and I can't keep it straight what will definitely work perfectly together and what won't.

Can I use QS levers (Chorus 10) with a Chorus 11 front mech?

Can I use Record 11 levers with a Record 10 QS front mech?

What happens to the front shifting if I use Record 10 (non-QS) levers with a Record 10 QS front mech?

Another question that fits into my swapping scheme: Can the 11 speed front mechs swap their mounts around as I could with the 10 speed? If yes, can the swap be made between 10sp and 11sp? I'm at work right now, otherwise I would go out and take a look. I think I read somewhere that the 11 speed mounts are not interchangeable (and looking at pics on ebay seems to confirm).

Also, are there any of the older rear hubs that work for 10sp but won't work for 11sp? I think a couple of my wheelsets have Mirage/Veloce/Centaur 10sp rear hubs. If there are limitations, how do I determine if mine are 11sp compatible.

For anyone scratching their head or if specific details would help, here is what I have and the options I'm looking at. All told, the most I'll save is buying one 11sp front derailleur and possibly avoid re-taping one set of bars. My existing Chorus 10 QS levers are like new, the Record 10 levers are fairly old - that's why I'm considering making that swap. Otherwise, I would just leave Bike #2 as is.

Bike 1 (current):
Levers - Chorus 10 QS
Front Der - Record 10 QS (braze on)
Bike 2 (current):
Front Der - Chorus 11 (32mm)

Bike 1 (upgrade to 11sp):
Levers - Record 11
Front Der - Record 10 QS (b/o) or Chorus 11 (if I can swap the mount from 32mm to b/o)

If neither of those would work, I'll just buy a new Chorus 11 b/o front.

Bike 2 (option 1):
Levers - Chorus 10 QS
Front Der - Chorus 11 (32mm) or Record 10 QS

Bike 2 (option 2):
Front Der - Record 10 QS (only if I can swap the mount and if I can use it with non-QS levers)

It looks complicated all written out, but it's really just a few simple questions that will lead in one direction or another.

Yes
Yes
Nothing-for Record and Chorus, the 'QS' thing really means nada.
No, not since 2008(fder clamp swap)
If it's Campag 10s, it's compatible with Campag 11s, Campag hub wise.

tmf
05-08-2014, 11:58 AM
Thank you OP!

oldpotatoe
05-08-2014, 01:38 PM
Thank you OP!

On my phone so hard to type, but 10s Record/Chorus Ergo works with just about any fder, even shimano and 10 or 11s rear ders., Campagnolo, of course.

ultraman6970
05-08-2014, 05:01 PM
The beauty of campagnolo.