PDA

View Full Version : Always ride with lights?

paredown
05-08-2014, 06:21 AM
Someone (William?) suggested in the schoolbus thread to always ride with a back flasher, and it reminded me that I have from time to time thought about riding with a permanently attached light.

So I thought I would ask--how many do so?

( I have small one in my seat bag that I will clip on if it gets on towards dusk and I'm still crawling home...)

christian
05-08-2014, 06:28 AM
I usually keep my Dinotte on my Colnago full-time. Other bikes get them swapped around. If I were carrying it in my seat bag, I'd just mount it. I mean why not?

William
05-08-2014, 06:46 AM
Someone (William?) suggested in the schoolbus thread to always ride with a back flasher, and it reminded me that I have from time to time thought about riding with a permanently attached light.

( I have small one in my seat bag that I will clip on if it gets on towards dusk and I'm still crawling home...)

Wasn't me, but if you have one, why not? It doesn't hurt (unless it hurts your fashion sense ;) ) to have something to make you a little more visible. I generally ride late morning early afternoons and have done so for a few years now so I'm currently without lights of any kind.

William

jlwdm
05-08-2014, 06:53 AM
I have a rear light mounted on my bike, but I do not use it during daylight hours unless it is very overcast.

Jeff

charliedid
05-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Pretty much, yes. I find I am way more visible using blinky's during the day. I generally don't use flash mode at night.

As Old P. says, can't hurt and might help.

Tony T
05-08-2014, 06:56 AM

I have a rear Blackburn Flea that I use at all times.
(Sometimes a driver just does not see you. Happened to me last week. Was heading down a hill @ 25mph, noticed this Muni truck traveling a bit fast as he approached his STOP SIGN, so I slowed, and as I was slowing, saw him looking to his right (I was at his left), and as I slowed to a stop 2 feet in front of him, he rolled through the stop, then he saw me (I was stopped), and he hit the brakes, had a look of surprise, said he didn't see me and apologized. I just smiled and said that I saw him. In this case the flea front flashing light may have helped (I only have a rear) Always try to see where the driver is looking if you can.

dogdriver
05-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Should. Don't. No excuse, though I'm going to dig one out and put it on the road bike...

druptight
05-08-2014, 07:49 AM
I always turn mine on if riding alone. Can't hurt.

SlackMan
05-08-2014, 07:56 AM
I just started two weeks ago always riding with a rear flashing light on. I bought the Solas 2-watt one, which is exceptionally bright for the price. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it seems like cars and trucks do give me a wider berth now when passing. I'm sold on the idea.

Ahneida Ride
05-08-2014, 08:10 AM
It was probably me.

I ride with a Dinotte 400R (red rear with battery pack) attached to frame.
Planet Bike Turbo flash attached to helmet.

I almost never ride at night.

I can testify that cars definitely give me a wider berth with the
light on in the daytime. There is no doubt about this.

I recommend the DiNotte due to it's punching power .....
Even in broad daylight it can be seen easily 1/4 mile away.
That is well over a football field.
That is a conservative estimate.

dawgie
05-08-2014, 08:12 AM
I always use front and rear lights when commuting. My commute is all roads through suburban and city streets, and I need all the help I can get. I also wear Neon Yellow jerseys/jackets/vests most of the time. Visibility is your biggest safety factor when riding in traffic. I sometimes encounter other commuters wearing all black, often with no lights, and they are hardly noticeable.

charliedid
05-08-2014, 08:14 AM
Some other info on visibility

http://avip.pocsports.com/concept/

Jgrooms
05-08-2014, 08:16 AM
I just started two weeks ago always riding with a rear flashing light on. I bought the Solas 2-watt one, which is exceptionally bright for the price. Maybe it's a placebo effect, but it seems like cars and trucks do give me a wider berth now when passing. I'm sold on the idea.

I'll second this and I don't think your'e imagining it.

I figure with these new high powered LEDs drivers in certain light conditions are getting up to an additional 1/4 mile pre warning. Maybe, just maybe you now catch em between text cycles?

Also consider you are on a hilly route. You pop over for a hill for a split second and driver a mile out gets a glimpse as he's bopping over the same seq of short hills at 60. Before, potentially, driver comes over top and is on you with no warning. Instead, three hills before driver is "WTH is that...better slow down and put my phone down..."

kurto
05-08-2014, 08:32 AM
Blinky front and back (both small and easily switchable between bikes). They're cheap and light enough that there's no reason not to.

ultratoad
05-08-2014, 09:09 AM
Exposure Lights front and rear on blink.... All day rides.... Very bright and easy to recharge.... I've had motorists comment on how visible they are....

TimD
05-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Rear - All the time. Cygolite Hotshot in "lighthouse" mode. You can't look into this thing at close range, it will temporarily blind you.

Front - Any time in traffic, any time when riding in other than broad daylight. Just bought one of http://www.rei.com/product/847023/seattle-sports-blazer-white-front-bike-light for $8, takes a 2032, can't go wrong.

Also wearing hi-viz or bright colors at all times. Again, no affiliation, but Elevengear have some cool stuff. Wore my new "Two-Tone Siren" jersey yesterday for the first time, it rocks.

If you can attract the attention of the texting teenager before they are on top of you, you are ahead of the game. If you think bright / hi-viz is dorky and love your all-black kit, you are living on borrowed time, IMO.

Be careful out there.

chiasticon
05-08-2014, 09:23 AM
i'll be the odd man out. i never run lights in the day time, unless it's raining. i spend so much time in the winter dealing with lights and stressing over them that i long for the days when i can just jump on the bike and go (less clothing, less gloves, less of everything to deal with).

that said, i do carry blinkies if there's even a chance that i'll be out near dusk/sunset, or a hint of passing showers. and i'll generally carry a visible vest for this time as well. if it might be darker than this, i'll bring actual high-powered "everyone can see me and i can see everything" lights.

i can certainly see an argument for riding with lights during the day. some of it comes down to riding scenarios too. generally, once it's nice, the majority of my time is spent doing group rides. and lights are a no-no in this situation (i hate staring at some guy's blinding light while i'm trying to hold his wheel, look out for road debri, etc.).

metalheart
05-08-2014, 09:40 AM
I mostly ride alone on the road and I always use a Dinotte 300R in the rear and depending on where and when I use one of the Dinotte Amber Headlight. For those times I ride on the MUP or with other folks, the 300R has a quick release that I can take it off and stow it. I do not ride at night.

tmf
05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
I do most of my weekday rides in the early morning before the sun is up (4-6 am), so I definitely have good lights for those rides!

I have a Serfas TL-ST seatstay light on all of my bikes that I use in daylight as needed, and as a backup for my rides in the dark. During the day, I don't use it on all rides - probably about 50% of the time - depending on the roads and the weather/conditions.

Bradford
05-08-2014, 10:02 AM
I ride with Planet Bike Super Flash all the time now.

I was driving over Dallas Pass last summer when I came up on some touring cyclists. As someone who tours, I'm much more likely to see bikes with panniers up ahead. I rolled up on them in the middle of the day in bright sunlight and it was the blinking rear light that caught my attention, way before my brain registered that I had cyclists ahead, and way before it was even close to me needing to think about them. When I got home, I bought rear lights for all my bikes and use them.

BumbleBeeDave
05-08-2014, 10:09 AM
. . . I almost always run my L&M Viz180 Micro rear flasher on every ride, even daytime. It's rechargeable and easily bright enough to be seen in full daylight. Cheap insurance in this day of so &$%#@ many distracted drivers.

BBD

WNCRider
05-08-2014, 10:11 AM

As do I. There is simply no reason not to.

Black Dog
05-08-2014, 10:16 AM
. . . I almost always run my L&M Viz180 Micro rear flasher on every ride, even daytime. It's rechargeable and easily bright enough to be seen in full daylight. Cheap insurance in this day of so &$%#@ many distracted drivers.

BBD

Me too. ONly time the light is shut off is if I am in a bigger group. Other wise, light is on all the time day and night. BTW I use a planet bike turbo flash or the better MEC SATURN REAR LED BICYCLE LIGHT (http://www.mec.ca/product/5022-096/mec-saturn-rear-led-bicycle-light/?f=10+50002+50037) because it is actually water proof and just as bright, cheaper and easier to mount.

http://images.mec.ca/fluid/customers/c822/5022-096/generated/5022-096_NOC02_view1_720x720.jpg

saab2000
05-08-2014, 10:27 AM
It was probably me.

I ride with a Dinotte 400R (red rear with battery pack) attached to frame.
Planet Bike Turbo flash attached to helmet.

I almost never ride at night.

I can testify that cars definitely give me a wider berth with the
light on in the daytime. There is no doubt about this.

I recommend the DiNotte due to it's punching power .....
Even in broad daylight it can be seen easily 1/4 mile away.
That is well over a football field.
That is a conservative estimate.

I agree with every word of this. And a football field is wildly conservative. I saw a guy riding in VA Beach with one. I bet I saw him a half mile away in traffic. I became aware of his presence a long ways out and wasn't take by surprise.

I need a new battery for mine.....

Anarchist
05-08-2014, 10:30 AM
I have Blackburn Mars 4.0 taillights mounted on the seatposts on all my bikes, if I am on the bike, they are on, and flashing.

I use a small Gemini (the XERA) light on the bars, with a 2 cell battery on the stem, during daylight.

Always.

CaliFly
05-08-2014, 10:48 AM
Never rode with blinkies when I was riding with a group...but now I mostly ride alone. Blinkies on front and back.

eippo1
05-08-2014, 10:54 AM
My 2 cents is that I do it because of trees and shadows. In NE, there are a lot of bright days where I pass through heavily wooded areas. In those areas, there's a lot of bright and dark adjustment for drivers eye's and a blinking light helps a ton for visibility.

MerckxMad
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
I always turn on the blinkies, front and back, for daylight rides. Three broken vertabrae remind me that a front blinkie in traffic is probably more important than a rear light.

ergott
05-08-2014, 01:33 PM
I've recently become an advocate of lights all the time. If anything helps me catch the eye of the distracted motorist it's worth it to me.

HillDancer
05-08-2014, 04:05 PM
Always ride with lights.

Louis
05-08-2014, 04:12 PM
Last year I started using a Cygolite Hotshot rear blinky full time. I like it.

witcombusa
05-08-2014, 04:28 PM
never ride with a light during daylight. will mount a rear (constant on) for use in the Fall for the tail end of after work rides.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2014, 04:51 PM
never ride with a light during daylight. will mount a rear (constant on) for use in the Fall for the tail end of after work rides.

Sorry, I don't either, ride alone, never at night. Probably a good idea but they are so heavy and un-aero.

Tick tick tick

Jgrooms
05-08-2014, 05:25 PM
Sorry, I don't either, ride alone, never at night. Probably a good idea but they are so heavy and un-aero.

Tick tick tick

The need to always ride in a group is a sure sign of weakness... :-)) only imo of course...

Tick tick tick

rustychisel
05-08-2014, 07:21 PM

Tick tick tick

If we all kick in a buck we could buy you a Specialized 'Blinky™'

oldpotatoe
05-08-2014, 07:41 PM

Only a spec-ed one tho...

witcombusa
05-08-2014, 07:49 PM

I find the "blinking" lights distracting and can cause drivers to focus on them (in a bad way). I prefer solid ON lighting.

Think how annoying blinking rear tail lights would be on cars!

Louis
05-08-2014, 07:56 PM
I find the "blinking" lights distracting and can cause drivers to focus on them (in a bad way).

I've only heard anecdotal talk of this. Do you have any real data to back that up?

PS Annoying is good when it comes to being noticed.

F150
05-08-2014, 08:09 PM
I've only heard anecdotal talk of this. Do you have any real data to back that up?

If the "Shocking Video" TV shows are to be believed, +1 to anecdotal. There is no other way that a patrol car sitting well off the shoulder of the road with lights running can get sideswiped by an otherwise functional driver (I know, but they did arrive at the scene of the accident, right?).

My experience in mountain biking was never to 'focus" on the obstacle, root, etc. or you'd square it up. I tend to do the same on the road; see hole, avoid hole. Stare at hole, hit hole.

I do constant on when I'm in the road...

Black Dog
05-08-2014, 08:13 PM

Tick tick tick

Ah. You forgot to mention that they do not come in carbon.

rustychisel
05-08-2014, 08:37 PM

this. Legal and recommended in Australia. It tends to signify 'bike' at distance, before you can actually make out the object.

Nags&Ducs
05-08-2014, 09:04 PM

Count me as another. Always use my USB lights in flash mode during the day when riding solo. Not always in group rides. Doesn't matter if I'm on my race bikes , CX, or classic steels.

sand fungus
05-08-2014, 10:25 PM
I always use my Dinotte 600 front and 400 rear light on when commuting but when riding with my group on the weekend I keep a portland design works light on the bike but only use it if the weather or lighting make me nervous.

Asudef
05-09-2014, 12:16 AM
I remember reading somewhere that having a front light actually helps more to prevent car on bike accidents since they'll usually see you going the same direction at similar speeds.

Blinking in rearview mirror, left turners, etc.

That said, I almost always ride with a rear blinky to stay seen during dimmer conditions.

Ozrider
05-09-2014, 01:08 AM
Ride with flashing front and rear day and night.
Take them off for races or events with road closure.
Motorists just dont see a cyclist, and I so often see idiots on bicycles riding before sunrise or after sunset wearing dark clothing and no lights.
I do a lot of solo rides in our hills area, and with shadows from trees and our teams blue, black and white kit you just disappear into the shadows.
Maybe it's not "cool" to have lights permanently on your bike, but I would rather be uncool and alive than ultra cool and dead or seriously injured.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TimD
05-09-2014, 06:20 AM
... but they are so heavy ...

Tick tick tick

Very heavy.

Oh, sorry, forgot the mount, that weighs 2 kg.

shovelhd
05-09-2014, 06:23 AM
I have started using my Mars 4.0 on my late afternoon training rides. Unfortunately this is during rush hour and drivers can be impatient. I'm riding anywhere from hard to WFO and it's hard to be aware of everything around you every given moment. I have noticed that it has little effect on those in a hurry who are paying attention but it seems to help with those that are taking their time, the ones that would cut you off without realizing it.

paredown
05-09-2014, 06:57 AM
Some interesting thoughts here--

FWIW, the little emergency light I have is very old and feeble, which is why it is just that--for emergencies. I feel no shame to admit that, yes, I am a Fred now, so a light on my bike will not damage my rep, or offend my fashion sense.:banana:

I may have to investigate a permanent light(s).

I too am solo riding on country roads in the NE, where you get some serious shadows from trees even on a sunny day.

christian
05-09-2014, 07:15 AM
I did some o'-dark-thirty tempo today which lent itself to thinking about this topic. I started the ride with my Dinotte 300R rear and MagicShine/LM Urban front combo, and kept them on until I got home at 7:00, because it was pouring rain.

The fact is, the LM Urban and a SOLAS rear weigh nearly nothing and are pretty cheap these days. Additionally, credible studies have shown accident reductions based on DRLs for cars - big, giant, visible cars - I don't think there's any reason not to ride with blinkies front and rear going forward. I'm changing my routine as of today.

Thanks for bringing this up.

PS: Gabba jersey - worth it if you have to ride in the rain! I started out in mist/sprinkle and 55d and ended in a massive downpour and 50d. With the Gabba and my thinnest summer base layer, I was comfortable the whole time. That was nice.

IFRider
05-09-2014, 10:21 AM
[QUOTE=jlwdm;1544592]I have a rear light mounted on my bike, but I do not use it during daylight hours unless it is very overcast. /QUOTE]

I use a two blinking hotshots during the day (bike and helmet) regardless of brightness. It is even more important on sunny days when riding between bright and shaded areas. When driving I have noticed riders disappearing when going into the shade and I was in bright light. It is about contrast. When it is overcast, my eyes don't have to cover as much dynamic range. It is even worse when a cyclist is dressed in dark clothing.

I started using lights all the time when riding the tandem with my kids. with the lights, drivers gave me a wide berth, and without they drove normally. It is like they realize I am alerting them to my presence.

Better Fred than Dead ...

Warren

witcombusa
05-09-2014, 12:19 PM
I did some o'-dark-thirty tempo today which lent itself to thinking about this topic. I started the ride with my Dinotte 300R rear and MagicShine/LM Urban front combo, and kept them on until I got home at 7:00, because it was pouring rain.

The fact is, the LM Urban and a SOLAS rear weigh nearly nothing and are pretty cheap these days. Additionally, credible studies have shown accident reductions based on DRLs for cars - big, giant, visible cars - I don't think there's any reason not to ride with blinkies front and rear going forward. I'm changing my routine as of today.

Thanks for bringing this up.

PS: Gabba jersey - worth it if you have to ride in the rain! I started out in mist/sprinkle and 55d and ended in a massive downpour and 50d. With the Gabba and my thinnest summer base layer, I was comfortable the whole time. That was nice.

DRL's are pointless. If you can't see a car in daylight we are dealing with far bigger problems. I will not run a headlight during the day on a moto either.
Bad weather, fog, etc. yes.

christian
05-09-2014, 12:45 PM
Abstract
This study estimates the effectiveness of passenger vehicle daytime running lights in reducing two-vehicle opposite direction crashes, pedestrian/bicycle crashes, and motorcycle crashes. The authors chose the generalized simple odds, a conventional statistical technique, to analyze the data.

Results based on simple odds indicate that from 1995 to 2001:

· DRLs reduced opposite direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent.
· DRLs reduced opposite direction/angle daytime non-fatal crashes by 5 percent.
· DRLs reduced non-motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent.
· DRLs reduced daytime opposite direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent.
Reviewers of this paper required the inclusion of results using the odds ratio technique. The estimated the effect of DRLs are
–6.3 percent, –7.9 percent, 3.8 percent, and 26 percent, respectively. None of these results were statistically significant.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809760.pdf

The bolded piece of information is what is of interest to me. I'm also a keen motorcyclist and like with bikes, the left hook is a major cause of injury/death.

CaliFly
05-09-2014, 01:00 PM
Abstract
This study estimates the effectiveness of passenger vehicle daytime running lights in reducing two-vehicle opposite direction crashes, pedestrian/bicycle crashes, and motorcycle crashes. The authors chose the generalized simple odds, a conventional statistical technique, to analyze the data.

Results based on simple odds indicate that from 1995 to 2001:

· DRLs reduced opposite direction daytime fatal crashes by 5 percent.
· DRLs reduced opposite direction/angle daytime non-fatal crashes by 5 percent.
· DRLs reduced non-motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, daytime fatalities in single-vehicle crashes by 12 percent.
· DRLs reduced daytime opposite direction fatal crashes of a passenger vehicle with a motorcycle by 23 percent.
Reviewers of this paper required the inclusion of results using the odds ratio technique. The estimated the effect of DRLs are
–6.3 percent, –7.9 percent, 3.8 percent, and 26 percent, respectively. None of these results were statistically significant.

http://www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/Pubs/809760.pdf

The bolded piece of information is what is of interest to me. I'm also a keen motorcyclist and like with bikes, the left hook is a major cause of injury/death.

I wonder how these number would look now...with all the texting-while-driving going on. That's the REAL reason I use a rear blinky.

witcombusa
05-09-2014, 01:03 PM
I wonder how these number would look now...with all the texting-while-driving going on. That's the REAL reason I use a rear blinky.

They're not even looking at the road, a "blinky" won't save you.

CaliFly
05-09-2014, 01:10 PM
They're not even looking at the road, a "blinky" won't save you.

Then heaven help us all. :cool:

ergott
05-09-2014, 01:31 PM
A flashing light is more likely to catch someone's attention even in their periphery.

shovelhd
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM

We recently went out to dinner at a local place and sat on stools where you can look out the window. The view is of a four corner intersection in a small college town. Just for fun I counted how many people were driving and texting as they pulled up to the stop light.

50%.

Yup. No problem here.

donevwil
05-09-2014, 02:01 PM
We recently went out to dinner at a local place and sat on stools where you can look out the window. The view is of a four corner intersection in a small college town. Just for fun I counted how many people were driving and texting as they pulled up to the stop light.

50%.

Yup. No problem here.

Very scary and very real, this country has too many entitled, narcissistic, ignoramuses. Tuesday on my (bike) commute home I stop at a light, the woman driving the car next to me is checking her phone/texting/whatever totally oblivious to the city cop looking right at her in the next lane. Light turned green and they both drove off, no stop, no ticket.

Netdewt
05-09-2014, 02:46 PM
I ride with lights on (Blackburn something), and turn them off whenever I am on a path rather than a road.

djg21
05-09-2014, 03:40 PM
I've been riding with blinkies front and rear lately, I most frequently ride during up the early evening, when people are still commuting. I figure it doesn't hurt. And as most bad bicycle accidents involve drivers in oncoming lanes turning left in front of a cyclist, I figure the front blinks is equally important as the back one.

shovelhd
05-09-2014, 04:12 PM
True, but at least you can see those coming.

Dead Man
05-09-2014, 04:19 PM
I've been riding with blinkies front and rear lately, I most frequently ride during up the early evening, when people are still commuting. I figure it doesn't hurt. And as most bad bicycle accidents involve drivers in oncoming lanes turning left in front of a cyclist, I figure the front blinks is equally important as the back one.

I've also been rolling with front and rear blinkies. Just too many close calls with people on cross streets turning out in front of me. I don't think it's ever happened any time I've had a front blinky going.

I've got two blinkies on the back and one up front. The front blinky is a 150lmn light that also gets used as a headlight fairly often- I have late days pretty regularly. 150lmn isn't enough, and I'm looking to upgrade (again).

Even if you never ride at night, blinkies alone don't weigh anything, and if they cost you anything in aerodynamics, it's not going to be anything that matters off the race course. Use blinkies!