PDA

View Full Version : Early Aluminum Merckx?

ik2280
05-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Does anyone know anything about these early aluminum Merckx bikes? I know all about the steel ones (Corsa Extra, MXL, etc.) and some aluminum models (Team SC, Alu Cross), but I've never seen one of these.

Thanks,

Ike

zmudshark
05-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Local to me. I communicated with the guy. The parts alone were not quite worth it to me. The wheels are Shimano w/conversion cassette, and old.

I suppose if you were going to ride it, it may be okay, but no meat on that bone, to my eyes.

ik2280
05-08-2014, 06:22 PM
Was searching Craigslist for Chorus 10 groups when I stumbled upon this Merckx. I've been looking for a winter bike, so I bought this one (minus the wheels, seat post, saddle, pedals, and cassette) at a discounted price. Should show up late next week, when I'll build it up with some stuff I have lying around (Aksium wheels, Challenge tires, black SLR saddle, white bar tape, Campy cassette, SPD-SL pedals, some random seat post). Might use this carbon Look fork I have, not sure, though.

If I don't particularly like how it rides, I'll take the components and switch them over to this NOS Klein Quantum II frame. But I'm definitely intrigued, hoping that I enjoy this one.

Does anyone else know anything about this specific model? It just says "Alu" on the top tube. Apparently, it came with 8-speed Record, if that helps narrow down the range of years in which it could have been made.

pbarry
05-08-2014, 08:05 PM
Farmed out production, SR Prism fork. Looks like 1990-1993 to me.