PDA

View Full Version : Team Novo Nordisk rides through the neighborhood!

EPOJoe
05-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Getting in some miles this morning in preparation for the Amgen Tour of California, starting on the 11th, team Novo Nordisk rode through my neighborhood this morning. I yelled "Good luck, guys" out the window and received back a very polite "Thank you". It's pretty amazing that these guys are all racing with type 1 diabetes.

enr1co
05-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Cool! Hope they get some good camera time next week- great program they have for promoting diabetes awareness.

A source from the team I know mentioned most of the riders just arrived from Turkey a couple days ago. Aside from a few lesser known US based races, the team has been riding mostly international events this season.

The TOC is the first race for their US based race bikes so he was super busy prepping a bunch of new Orbeas for the race.

nooneline
05-07-2014, 03:41 PM
It's also amazing that they're wearing jackets.

fiamme red
05-07-2014, 04:02 PM
Lucky for them that it's not raining. Why do people wear white shorts? :confused:

blessthismess
05-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Lucky for them that it's not raining. Why do people wear white shorts? :confused:

2.38% faster

DfCas
05-07-2014, 05:26 PM
Being a type 1 myself, I am amazed at what these guys do. I'll be pulling for them.

mtb_frk
05-07-2014, 05:37 PM
I would love to ride in the team car and hang with them for a few days to see how they do it. I know all the struggles I go through trying to balance the paltry amount of riding I do with my food and insulin intake.

enr1co
05-07-2014, 05:46 PM

At the professional level and built as lean they are, its because they can rock the white.

If I ever tried to rock white shorts, I'd be looking like the Michelin Man.:eek:

moose8
05-07-2014, 09:09 PM
Small world - my fiancée is out there with them as she works on the team. Those guys do amazing stuff for sure. They have other teams as well - we saw three guys at the boston marathon from their running team who were flying and finished like 2:35 or something crazy.

Team Murray
05-07-2014, 10:26 PM
It's great that you got to see TNN and that you all follow them.

I ride for TNN's outreach team, Team Type 2. TT2 consists of individuals who have taken control of their diabetes through exercise, diet and medication. We use the platform of cycling to carry the message. TT2 rides many of the Tour De Cure events throughout the country. Last weekend, I rode the Napa Valley and plan to do the Silicon Valley TdC in June.

This year TT2 is doing 3 "wow" events to show that we can do challenging rides even though we have diabetes. In February, we did Bike Sebring (12/24 hour endurance event). This month, you can see our team at the Golden, CO granfrondo. And in August, we will be doing the Marin Century.

The guys riding ATOC are from the Pro/Continental squad. Many of whom just finished Tour of Turkey. We have several teams in the organization (Pro Continental, Development, Womens, CX/MTB, Triathlon/Running, Juniors, and TT2.)

Re: White Kits
They do look good...if you're thin and tan. They are a challenge to keep white. The Catlike Mixino helmet and Oakley Radarlocks complete the whole look. The kit really stands out in the peloton.

Factoid:
Team Novo Nordisk on FB has more followers than any other cycling team. (More than Sky Pro Cycling even)

holliscx
05-08-2014, 02:51 AM
David Lozano is very good on a cross bike. He has diabetes and races road for NN.

Dale Alan
05-08-2014, 03:44 AM
My hat is off to those guys,very impressive.

tiretrax
05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
They are an inspirational bunch of athletes, and I was glad to see them formed a few years ago. They set a great example to those with any illness, diabetes or other. I'd like to see them take a stage or two.

The worst part of non-black shorts is how revealing they can be. I do have a pair of red Assos bibs, and my wife always asks me why I'm riding with tomatoes in my shorts.

pdmtong
05-08-2014, 10:45 AM
The worst part of non-black shorts is how revealing they can be. I do have a pair of red Assos bibs, and my wife always asks me why I'm riding with tomatoes in my shorts.

Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

She Done Him Wrong (1933)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mae_West

fiamme red
05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just happy to see me?

She Done Him Wrong (1933)

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Mae_West:)

Way off-topic now, but Mae West never said those words in that film.

nathanong87
05-08-2014, 11:20 AM
yea i too echo that these guys are doing great things on bikes!

my friend and weekly group rider buddy rode for TT1 , although road racing isn't really a focus for him. Fast, would be an understatement to describe him!
http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/teams/mtbcx/adam-driscoll

enr1co
05-08-2014, 12:21 PM
They are an inspirational bunch of athletes, and I was glad to see them formed a few years ago. They set a great example to those with any illness, diabetes or other. I'd like to see them take a stage or two.

Yep, I'll stick with black shorts, thank you :)

http://www.funnycoolstuff.com/images/red-bicycle-shorts.jpg

bike
05-08-2014, 12:33 PM

maunahaole
05-08-2014, 12:41 PM
White shorts are PRO. That does not mean that you should be wearing them.

tv_vt
05-08-2014, 01:55 PM
Cool! Hope they get some good camera time next week- great program they have for promoting diabetes awareness.

A source from the team I know mentioned most of the riders just arrived from Turkey a couple days ago. Aside from a few lesser known US based races, the team has been riding mostly international events this season.

The TOC is the first race for their US based race bikes so he was super busy prepping a bunch of new Orbeas for the race.

So they ride Wilier in Europe and Orbea in US? Didn't know that. PS. Looks like those Orbeas are only made in one size - small...

All these guys have Type I diabetes? Didn't know that either!

enr1co
05-08-2014, 02:27 PM
So they ride Wilier in Europe and Orbea in US? Didn't know that.

The pro team bike sponsor is Orbea for this year, EU and US. They were on Colnago bikes the previous years.

Where did you see reference to Novo Nordisk using Willier?

tv_vt
05-08-2014, 09:40 PM
^^^ Geez, my bad. I think I got them confused with UHC - United Health Care. They're using Wilier in Europe, I think. White with blue trim frames IIRC.

moose8
05-15-2014, 06:59 AM
Check how they did in yesterday's stage at the tour of California - pretty awesome.

nebraskacycling
05-15-2014, 09:37 AM
Check how they did in yesterday's stage at the tour of California - pretty awesome.

That was a nice ride and glad to see him do well.

I also have a friend who I raced with at Nebraska on the pro squad, but wasn't selected for the tour team I guess.

http://www.teamnovonordisk.com/teams/pro-team/ben-dilley

pdmtong
05-15-2014, 11:56 AM

its never a good idea to look over your shoulder while you are sprinting for the line. bet all those guys but one wish they had a do over...how many chances do you get to be in front of sagan and cavendish and not have to worry about them. once in a lifetime...

that said, I love how TNN has been sending a rider into the break for max air time. love to see that