PDA

View Full Version : OT: best dedicated gps for car (with voice)

Kingfisher
05-07-2014, 07:13 AM
can anyone provide good advice on car gps, with voice.
don't want to use my iphone anymore..this is for my wife's car
thanks

oldpotatoe
05-07-2014, 07:19 AM
can anyone provide good advice on car gps, with voice.
don't want to use my iphone anymore..this is for my wife's car
thanks

if you aren't in a hurry...

Kingfisher
05-07-2014, 07:31 AM
not an option, all kids are grown (thank god) no more down the pike:

dogdriver
05-07-2014, 08:17 AM
We have a Tom Tom that seems to work fine. Don't use it much anymore now that we're in iPhone world, but its still useful when out of cell phone range...

That said, the 9 y.o. is a LOT more entertaining...

Likes2ridefar
05-07-2014, 09:24 AM
Probably one of the most expensive options available, but I use an ipad mini with the waze app. I got a cheap suction mount from amazon that holds it perfectly either on a dash or window. and it connects via bluetooth for audio over the speaker system.

dave thompson
05-07-2014, 09:26 AM
I'm very partial to Garmin, I use their GPS in my cars, on my bikes and in my motor home.

The GPS I use in the car is their 2455LM, which has lifetime maps and traffic upgrades. The maps, turns, offs and ons are clearly shown and spoken, correct lanes to be in for freeway changes are displayed, it's really simple to program and use.

My Garmin still doesn't replace paper maps as I like to have the 'big picture' feel for where I am and where I'm going. The GPS is great for detail work, like getting you to an address, enroute info; arrival time, speed limits, etc. in my world paper and electronics are close partners.

Llewellyn
05-07-2014, 05:11 PM
I haven't seen a GPS do anything that a proper street directory can't do. The last time I was in a car with someone using a GPS the thing got us hopelessly lost.

I've heard somewhere that there are around 300,000 insurance claims each year in the UK for damage or incidents where someone's GPS has given them dodgy instructions and they've ended up in a canal etc.

Tony T
05-07-2014, 05:13 PM
Tom Tom or Garmin.

veloduffer
05-07-2014, 05:23 PM
+1 on Garmin. We have two models that talk, traffic and free lifetime maps. Easy to update the maps but only needed if you are going to places where there are new roads.

Bradford
05-07-2014, 05:48 PM
I use a garmin with lifetime maps and I'm a big fan. I'm at the point where I look at the speed on the Garmin instead of the dash.

I use my iphone as my XM receiver, so I really like having different units.

c-record
05-08-2014, 10:15 AM
I recently got a Garmin Nuvi 3597. So far so good. I haven't had many other GPS units for car but it's nicer than my phone. I don't get data drops as you're approaching key turns like I would on my phone.

Probably nicer than what I needed but the capacitive screen is a nice bonus.

EDS
05-08-2014, 10:52 AM
I haven't seen a GPS do anything that a proper street directory can't do. The last time I was in a car with someone using a GPS the thing got us hopelessly lost.

I've heard somewhere that there are around 300,000 insurance claims each year in the UK for damage or incidents where someone's GPS has given them dodgy instructions and they've ended up in a canal etc.

A few years ago my wife and I were vacationing in Ireland. Our rental car had a GPS that proved to be very helpful once I began to trust it. In a few instances it would tell me to make a left, but I was certain it was wrong because what it identified as a street I was convinced was nothing more than a goat path. Turns out, they really like narrow two-way one lane roads in Ireland!

avalonracing
05-08-2014, 11:12 AM
I know you don't want to use your iPhone but maybe you aren't using the right ap. WAZE gives real time info from other motorists including SPEED TRAPS!

Ken Robb
05-08-2014, 11:14 AM
+1 on Garmin. We have two models that talk, traffic and free lifetime maps. Easy to update the maps but only needed if you are going to places where there are new roads.

My GPS also offers info on gas stations, restaurants,etc. so updates are good to have even when there are no new roads.

Keith A
05-08-2014, 02:57 PM
I know you don't want to use your iPhone but maybe you aren't using the right ap. WAZE gives real time info from other motorists including SPEED TRAPS!Sorry for the thread drift, but could you tell me more about the WAZE app?

druptight
05-08-2014, 03:28 PM
I'd like the Waze app more if it didn't seem like some iphone cartoon video game every time I turned it on. I feel like you need to have ADD to appreciate it. I'll keep trying it though.

Likes2ridefar
05-08-2014, 03:45 PM
I'd like the Waze app more if it didn't seem like some iphone cartoon video game every time I turned it on. I feel like you need to have ADD to appreciate it. I'll keep trying it though.

Can't say that's bothered me, and I love how it's saved significant time a few occasions by routing around traffic jams.

My wife likes reporting the various things along the drive and racking up points for what, I don't really know, but the warnings can be useful sometimes.

Admiral Ackbar
05-08-2014, 03:51 PM
garmin + lifetime maps for sure imo. I've driven all over the NE, NW, and colorado with mine and its been great. better than having to faff about with an atlas or map without a doubt

malcolm
05-09-2014, 09:06 AM
Don't know about TomTom but I've used garmin on boats, cars, bikes and motorcycles and they build an intuitive, quality product. I've used one garmin or another in Europe, central America and the US with no problems. In Italy we were on roads that were more like alleys and assumed we were lost but it got us where we were going every time. Central America was amazing for the cow trails and gravel roads that were on there. I would get one you can load micro memory cards into if you travel out of the country much, some smaller travel companies offer maps that are really detailed.

makoti
05-09-2014, 09:27 AM
I know you don't want to use your iPhone but maybe you aren't using the right ap. WAZE gives real time info from other motorists including SPEED TRAPS!

Used to LOVE Waze, but now it continues to try to take me onto HOV lanes that are either 1) closed, 2) going in the wrong direction, or 3) at a time I can't get on due to restrictions. The worst part is it's right where a lot of construction is happening so if I ignore it, I risk sitting in a ton of traffic that could have been avoided. Any idea of how to block that one road? Already avoid tolls.

Fatty
05-09-2014, 04:20 PM
Garmin Nuvi50lm. The wife and I were shopping houses and neighborhoods down south the old fashioned way with maps printed up off the computer and an old atlas. We had about ten days to cover a lot of ground and spent half of the first fews day circling around and wasting time and four buck a gallon gas. So we said what the heck, stopped at a Walmart and picked out a Garmin in the middle of the price range, plugged it in and wow, thought, why did I wait so long. It's great. Easy to use, lots of features if you want and you will always know were the nearest pizza jount is. I use around home and it has helped me find shortcuts, restaurants and thrift stores. Love it.