PDA

View Full Version : Solo crash today. I'm suing Strava

Dead Man
05-07-2014, 01:03 AM
Better crashes have been posted, yes... but this is MY crash story, and it's really the only one I have (so far).

I've taken little sliders in tight corners, and other low-speed crashes, but I've never just full-on ate sheet at full speed before today. Looks like I threw the chain. I've been sporting a 12-28 for sake of our Portland hill country, but decided to stick that cassette on a different wheelset and go back to a 12-25 for my fast wheels. The whole 60 mile ride, I'd been meaning to stop and give the barrel adjuster just one more half twist to address a little lag in shifting on the new cassette.. but you know how it goes, I was just too busy killing it and fantasizing about all the new awards I was gonna get on this ride on Strava.. never did stop and fix it.

So there I was, burning down a segment I currently happen to hold KOM on... it's about a mile dash from the highway to an intersection by my neighborhood.. long, slightly downhill stretch that curves into a depression, then a short but nasty little hill sprint back up to the final straightaway to home. It's just steep enough that you gotta sprint or granny it out, but short enough that you can definitely sprint through it, even at mile 59 of a hard ass 60 mile ride. I was ripping around the curve at about 30mph, so I'd probably slowed to maybe 25-27 by the moment it happened. I popped off the saddle for the sprint up and decided at the last second to click down one cog........

Suddenly I'm leaning, my right hand is off the drop, I don't have control of the bike anymore... and am definitely going down. Fortunately there's a patch of grass off the shoulder and no culvert at that particular spot (there's culvert everywhere else except that one spot). So I lean hard to hit the grass instead of ditch on the asphalt, or the telephone poll, or the culvert, and BAM I hit the grass HARD, and continue to slide and bump and twist and flip, all tangled up in my bike, for like a freaken eternity. Probably all happened in 3 seconds, but it felt like minutes, just waiting to come to a stop.

Once I got to my feet I was happy that I seemed to be un-broken, if bloodied. I immediately noticed my chain was thrown, but I didn't know at that point what had made me eat it- a buddy helped me figure out the sequence of events later. I gave the front and back wheels a spin, expecting the flimsy race rims to be bent... nope! spun true, or true enough. My right shifter was all full of dirt and grass and my left shifter was bent all out of whack with a kinked housing, but the front der was still positioned over the big ring, so I didn't eff with it. Couldn't see any cracks or anything majorly mechanically wrong with it, so I just got back on and rode home!

My knees got all cut up and I've got some road (dirt) rash.. I'm sure I'll be stiff and bruised tomorrow. My helmet doesn't show any sign it hit the dirt, somehow... in all that smashing and tumbling around I somehow kept my head up? Weird.

Yea I'm fine... but emotionally, I feel like I might have Acute Stress Disorder, which will surely turn into PTSD and require a few years of therapy. My wife is going to divorce me because I'm a dick and my kids won't want to have anything to do with me. I'll end up in some studio apartment down town with impressionably young girlfriends and nothing to spend my money on but bike parts. If it wasn't for Strava, this wouldn't have happened! If it wasn't for Strava, I would have stopped and adjusted my rear der. If it wasn't for Strava, I wouldn't have been pushing it so hard to drive my time down and speed up for that segment, thereby protecting my KOM status.

My buddy is a lawyer. Gotta git paid, son.

Louis
05-07-2014, 01:07 AM
I'll end up in some studio apartment down town with impressionably young girlfriends and nothing to spend my money on but bike parts.

Sounds to me like Strava's done you a big favor. ;)

benitosan1972
05-07-2014, 01:35 AM
Strava ruins lives! :help:

CNY rider
05-07-2014, 05:21 AM
So for the kids watching at home......what chain were you using and how did you join it?

morrisericd
05-07-2014, 05:40 AM
I have a love/hate relationship with Strava. On the one hand this is the best shape I've ever been in and the sharing and tracking is nice. On the other hand there hasn't been much time to smell the roses...

Peter P.
05-07-2014, 06:25 AM
Funny story! Thanks for being comfortable enough with your own foibles to tell it.

Black Dog
05-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Strava...:confused:

Daveyk
05-07-2014, 06:42 AM
What really matters is you are still KOM.
The rest was just a nice story.

shovelhd
05-07-2014, 07:04 AM
Strava is serious bizness.

druptight
05-07-2014, 07:26 AM
So for the kids watching at home......what chain were you using and how did you join it?

Doesn't sound like the chain broke, if he rode it home.... or am I misreading the story? Sounds like he's saying it just "popped off" but didn't break apart?

charliedid
05-07-2014, 07:33 AM
What's Strava?

redir
05-07-2014, 08:02 AM
So what happened? The chain just dropped? That's like one of the worst things to happen, total loss of power to the drive chain. Many times that's balls to the stem and then crash so you got a bit lucky there :eek:

cookietom
05-07-2014, 08:14 AM
What's Strava?

??

BobbyJones
05-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Yea I'm fine... but emotionally, I feel like I might have Acute Stress Disorder, which will surely turn into PTSD and require a few years of therapy. My wife is going to divorce me because I'm a dick and my kids won't want to have anything to do with me. I'll end up in some studio apartment down town with impressionably young girlfriends and nothing to spend my money on but bike parts.

Some of us are in this boat. Heck, if Strava had anything to do with it I'd pay them.

Dead Man
05-07-2014, 08:41 AM
So what happened? The chain just dropped? That's like one of the worst things to happen, total loss of power to the drive chain. Many times that's balls to the stem and then crash so you got a bit lucky there :eek:

Si, threw the chain. That's the prevailing theory anyway. To tell you the truth, I initially thought I'd just somehow lost my grip on the handlebar as I shifted. It was like the bottom fell out from under me on the right side- hand ripped off the drop and my center of gravity wasn't center anymore. My buddy theorized that having an out-of-adjustment derailleur mix with an aging chain whilst mashing up a hill allowed the chain to come off. Bottoming out on a tensionless crank likely caused my hand to rip off the bar, and threw all my weight to that side of the bike. Examining my dropouts later confirmed a little gash next to the cassette, characteristic of a thrown chain... so I'm going with that.

But I mean I went down so fast there wasn't any time to really absorb anything. I barely had a fraction of the second to put myself down on the grass before I lost that opportunity. grass patch is only about 20 feet long... it's nasty before and after. Super lucky.

Ken Robb
05-07-2014, 10:20 AM
You may not enjoy fast descents for a loooooong time. :)

notsew
05-07-2014, 10:43 AM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/Strava-s-KOM-awards-blamed-for-reckless-bicycling-3657025.php

Dead Man
05-07-2014, 04:46 PM
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/nevius/article/Strava-s-KOM-awards-blamed-for-reckless-bicycling-3657025.php

Exactly.

beeatnik
05-07-2014, 05:03 PM
Si, threw the chain. That's the prevailing theory anyway. To tell you the truth, I initially thought I'd just somehow lost my grip on the handlebar as I shifted. It was like the bottom fell out from under me on the right side- hand ripped off the drop and my center of gravity wasn't center anymore. My buddy theorized that having an out-of-adjustment derailleur mix with an aging chain whilst mashing up a hill allowed the chain to come off. Bottoming out on a tensionless crank likely caused my hand to rip off the bar, and threw all my weight to that side of the bike. Examining my dropouts later confirmed a little gash next to the cassette, characteristic of a thrown chain... so I'm going with that.

But I mean I went down so fast there wasn't any time to really absorb anything. I barely had a fraction of the second to put myself down on the grass before I lost that opportunity. grass patch is only about 20 feet long... it's nasty before and after. Super lucky.

Had a similar incident at 35mph at a "training crit." Luckily, I was in the pack and coasting. Drivetrain locked up and backpedaling wasn't possible. Total w/t/f moment. Somehow pulled over safely and realized the chain had jumped off the smallest cog. Concluded the bike required an RD limit screw adjustment. Then a couple of weeks later, on a different bike, I started to hear repetitive crunching coming from the rear hub. Short story long, there was a ton of play in the cassette as the lock ring had loosened up (how often does that happen?). Well, that wheelset had been on the first bike and occasionally I would hear creaking.

Dead Man
05-07-2014, 05:34 PM
Had a similar incident at 35mph at a "training crit." Luckily, I was in the pack and coasting. Drivetrain locked up and backpedaling wasn't possible. Total w/t/f moment. Somehow pulled over safely and realized the chain had jumped off the smallest cog. Concluded the bike required an RD limit screw adjustment. Then a couple of weeks later, on a different bike, I started to hear repetitive crunching coming from the rear hub. Short story long, there was a ton of play in the cassette as the lock ring had loosened up (how often does that happen?). Well, that wheelset had been on the first bike and occasionally I would hear creaking.

I had a link seize up on the ring when trying to go from big ring to small driving up a hill once. There was no salvaging the situation- cranks were totally frozen and I was rapidly losing velocity. Minor crash, low speed.. probably didn't even need to crash if I'd just hit the brakes and put a foot down, but I was still pretty new to riding and tried to crank through. Happened right in front of some chix in a car waiting for me to pass the intersection. So rad.

redir
05-08-2014, 10:37 AM

The title "Strava's KOM awards blamed for reckless bicycling" is all wrong.

Strava doesn't kill people, people kill people.