PDA

View Full Version : I was planning to get a good ride in......

William
05-06-2014, 11:22 AM
...this morning but then I noticed the faint water stain in the plaster above the dining room table at breakfast. Now there is a big hole there where I ripped it open to find the leaky pipe. :crap: Now I'm looking at replacing a whole run (hey I might as well, I have the ceiling opened up right now...) and my ride window for today slowly closing.

Arrrrrrgh!!:bike:

William

Ken Robb
05-06-2014, 12:40 PM
Your homeowner's insurance might pay to repair this. Remember to use anti-fungal spray before to seal it up again.

josephr
05-06-2014, 12:44 PM
carbon fiber, no doubt. hope its under warranty!
Joe

CaptStash
05-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Home repair rule No. 1: It's never easy.
Home repair rule No. 2: Estimate the time required. Double it. Add 10%. Now tell that to your wife.
Home repair rule No. 3: If you don't have the perfect tool to do what you need to get the job done, buy it. It's still cheaper than your time and way cheaper than a contractor.

So sez me.

CaptStash....

snah
05-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Not sure if it's worthwhile, but insurance will usually pay for the resulting damage but not the cost to repair the faulty pipe. So, depending on deductible, may or may not be worth the time.

William
05-07-2014, 06:51 AM
In a house this old you never know what you're going to find when you start opening up walls or ceilings. The way the pluming was laid out makes absolutely no sense what so ever.....but I digress. I finally finished up at about 6:30 or so last night.

Found the pinhole leak after opening up the ceiling... it had been leaking for a while but the plaster over sheet rock hid that fact long enough for things to get real wet. Anyway, it made no sense to me to patch this section of copper just to have another pinhole leak likely pop up a few feet down at a later date. So, I replaced the whole run from the basement, across the house, and up to the bathroom on the second floor. While I've got it open I might as well take care of the whole thing. I'm going leave it open for a few days to dry out before I button it back up with sheetrock/plaster.

The cool thing is I can see the old beams going across and they appear to be in pretty good shape. I would prefer to open it up and expose them but Mrs William isn't buying into it.:crap:

It isn't a big enough deal for me to tap the homeowners insurance. Getting good coverage on a house this old wasn't an easy feat so I'll leave that for major stuff. Good call on the fungicide! Don't want any mold forming up there. The good news is, looks like another nice day and (knock on wood), I might get out on the bike today.:)

William

Mikej
05-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Yeah, been there. Old house, so it must be galvanized, like mine. Couldn't believe what was inside my pipe.

gasman
05-07-2014, 10:01 AM
Impressive that you did all that in one day.

mktng
05-07-2014, 10:07 AM
You replacing those pipes with Columbus stainless steel tubes?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

unterhausen
05-07-2014, 10:32 PM
we had a leaky shower drain about 10 years ago and the insurance paid for the whole repair. But they didn't actually hire a plumber, and the drain repair was poorly done. I haven't sheetrocked over the hole I made, but at least the repair I did doesn't leak

Louis
05-07-2014, 10:35 PM
I love where I live, but I absolutely despise home ownership.

fogrider
05-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Your homeowner's insurance might pay to repair this. Remember to use anti-fungal spray before to seal it up again.

call your insurance and they may cover the damage, but watch your premium go up in the follow years. you will pay for it many times over!