PDA

View Full Version : Cyclocross saddle position

ceolwulf
05-06-2014, 11:00 AM
Dialing in my position on the new rig.

Do any of you find you prefer a saddle position either further back or forward relative to your road bike? Is there a general principle on this?

redir
05-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Some people like it a very small bit lower but once you get your for aft position right I think messing with that is messing with trouble. The only thing I do on my cross rig is shorten the cockpit length with a shorter stem.

wallymann
05-06-2014, 11:19 AM
The only thing I do on my cross rig is shorten the cockpit length with a shorter stem.

how much shorter?

redir
05-06-2014, 11:25 AM
2cm. 120 on my road bike and a 100 on the cross bike. Both have the same TT length. Some people will get a cross bike with a shorter TT for the same reason. It gives me a more upright mountain bike feel. I can shift my weight to the back wheel easier. OH yeah and I do use wider bars too on the cross bike.

ceolwulf
05-06-2014, 08:18 PM
I can shift my weight to the back wheel easier.

This is why I was suspecting a more rearward position might be called for.

Makes sense though to keep the setback the same.

Gummee
05-06-2014, 09:55 PM
Only difference between my road and CX bikes is a slightly higher bar position on the CX bike. My legs like to be where my legs like to be.

M

christian
05-07-2014, 05:34 AM
My cockpit is shorter on the cx bike - shorter top tube, because the lower HTA, more rake, and longer stays still means a long wheelbase. And the bars are higher. Same seat position and stem.

nathanong87
05-07-2014, 05:52 AM
My cockpit is shorter on the cx bike - shorter top tube, because the lower HTA, more rake, and longer stays still means a long wheelbase. And the bars are higher. Same seat position and stem.

x2 , however i do not personally account for different seat angle. My bb to top of saddle on both bikes is the same mm measurement.

difference between the stems are length and angle

caad10 50cm road , 15mm dust cover 115mm -10
crux 52cm cx ,8 mm dust cover 100 -6

stack on the cx is also higher, and reach shorter anyways.

plugkev
05-07-2014, 10:21 PM
I have my saddle 1cm lower (to BB) and the saddle rails set back just a touch.

It makes the bike feel a little more agile, plus its a little easier to hop on.

batman1425
05-08-2014, 08:04 AM
My saddle position is identical road to cross. Bars are upe 1.5cm higher. The knees like that location relative to BB center.

SpeedyChix
05-08-2014, 08:38 AM
Cross bike is just 5mm shorter on reach and a touch less drop on the bars. Keeps it all balanced relative to the slightly longer stays and front center of the cx bike. Minimal difference for me.

Mark McM
05-08-2014, 12:17 PM
'Cross bikes exist somewhere in the continuum between (cross-country) MTBs and road bikes, and likewise the fit of a 'cross bike is also generally somewhere between an MTB and a road bike. MTB saddle position is often a lower and further back than for road bikes, so depending on where on the continuum your 'cross riding exists, you might also want the saddle slightly lower and/or slightly further back than on a road bike. If you do mostly gravel road riding, the saddle will probably be nearer to road bike position. if you do more off-road and trail riding on your 'cross bike, it might be closer to MTB position.

stev0
05-08-2014, 04:33 PM
For a long time, my cx bike was doing double duty as my primary road bike. Despite the shorter TT (compared to my roadie), my saddle height and position were roughly similar to my road setup.

A few weeks ago I did a long mostly-trail ride on the CX bike, during which I encountered some major discomfort and adjusted my saddle multiple times mid-ride. To my surprise, at the end of my ride my saddle was much lower and farther back than it ever had been. So much so that it was quite an ugly sight.

I jumped on the bike a few days ago to see how the saddle position would feel, and it was super uncomfortable. I immediately raised the seatpost and moved the saddle forward (it resembles my road setup again). Not sure how to explain that.