PDA

View Full Version : Where to purchase Athena groupset?

michaelh
05-05-2014, 06:40 PM
Hi folks,

I'm shopping around for a groupset for a new bike, but to be honest, I have no idea where to go to purchase it and get a good deal. I'm trying to get a 2013/2014 campy athena groupset, but swap out the shifters and possibly the cogset for chorus.

I see the groupset listed on cyclesportsuk & shinybikes, but I'm not sure if they're trustworthy, and I can't seem to specify exactly what I want, so I'd have to purchase the groupset and then resell the shifters/cogset somewhere (probably in the for sale section of the forums). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

vav
05-05-2014, 06:44 PM
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/gsg/road-track-bike/campagnolo-road-groupsets?sub=conf_GS_CAR&type=RIBMO&tmp=_CAR

Or just google Athena groupset and go from there

oldpotatoe
05-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Hi folks,

I'm shopping around for a groupset for a new bike, but to be honest, I have no idea where to go to purchase it and get a good deal. I'm trying to get a 2013/2014 campy athena groupset, but swap out the shifters and possibly the cogset for chorus.

I see the groupset listed on cyclesportsuk & shinybikes, but I'm not sure if they're trustworthy, and I can't seem to specify exactly what I want, so I'd have to purchase the groupset and then resell the shifters/cogset somewhere (probably in the for sale section of the forums). Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Have ya tried a LBS who can build you a group with the specifics you are looking for? Then maybe the pro shop to help ya put it together? Be the source expert?

Just a suggestion.

If you buy overseas and need a warranty, gonna have to do it thru the place ya buy it.

BOTW only Chorus and above 11s cogsets, no Athena.

zmudshark
05-05-2014, 06:53 PM
Give Vecchio's in Boulder a call/email, and see if they can do want you want. They may not be cheaper than the UK, but you will get expert advice and a warranty.

http://www.vecchios.com/

michaelh
05-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Athena does 11s. I'm happy taking on the risk/lack of warranty, but I do want to ensure that they're reputable.

FlashUNC
05-05-2014, 06:56 PM
There's no such thing as an Athena 11s cogset. Lowest level Campy makes in Chorus. So you're getting Chorus either way on that bit.

If you want to specify exactly what you want, a Euro grey market site might not be the best place to find parts.

buldogge
05-05-2014, 06:59 PM
Hey...op was pointing out that cassettes and chains are either Chorus or Record, no Athena. As far as Ergos…personally, I would get the Chorus or find a set of 2010 Athena.

Ribble is your cost leader most likely.

Velomine will come closest in the US.

Beyond that, you need to decide your comfort level with service/warranty/etc.

-Mark in St. Louis

Athena does 11s. I'm happy taking on the risk/lack of warranty, but I do want to ensure that they're reputable.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2014, 07:00 PM
Give Vecchio's in Boulder a call/email, and see if they can do want you want. They may not be cheaper than the UK, but you will get expert advice and a warranty.

http://www.vecchios.com/

Grazie

michaelh
05-05-2014, 07:11 PM
Oh, you're totally right on the cogset/chain front. Thanks!

Black Dog
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
There are North American deals out there. Call velomine and see what they can do for you. As was also mentioned as a great source is vecchios. At least try and by local.

scho74
05-05-2014, 08:24 PM
you can specify "lever type" and change it to chorus

http://www.shinybikes.com/Campagnolo-Athena-Black-Groupset-2012-11-Speed.html

54ny77
05-05-2014, 08:43 PM
the guys at velomine are very competitive on price and they're totally legit. plus, they're a pleasure to speak/work with.

they're at 900 bucks for athena 11 silver. that's only 60 bucks or so more than total cycling in u.k. it's a no brainer in keeping it local. no foreign headaches, warranty mess, customs, etc., and it keeps jobs and biz in the states.

pjmsj21
05-05-2014, 08:46 PM
I ordered the Chorus/Athena group last week from Velomine at a competitive price and it arrives tomorrow. Others may know but I am not sure if you can order a mixed group ie Chorus/Athena from Ribble. I am actually returning the cranks/bb and exchanging it for Chorus to get the UT bb. It is $135 more but I would spend $50ish dollars to get the tool to service the Power Torque of the Athena.

Black Dog
05-05-2014, 08:53 PM
the guys at velomine are very competitive on price and they're totally legit. plus, they're a pleasure to speak/work with.

they're at 900 bucks for athena 11 silver. that's only 60 bucks or so more than total cycling in u.k. it's a no brainer in keeping it local. no foreign headaches, warranty mess, customs, etc., and it keeps jobs and biz in the states.

This. I just checked and the price difference between velomine and shiny bikes was 20 bucks!!! Also you can spend a few bucks more get the ultra torque cranks or even the group in a triple set up. So why by from the UK grey market?

zmudshark
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Grazie

Prego

For the newbies here, no one has contributed as much to this forum as Vecchio's when it comes to Campagnolo knowledge.

My son is visiting Boulder this Summer. I have given him strict instructions to buy me swag that Vecchio's makes the most profit on.

Someday shops like this won't exist, and you'll be asking technical questions to someone who has an accent you can't understand, and has no knowledge of how things work together.

bluesea
05-05-2014, 10:09 PM
This. I just checked and the price difference between velomine and shiny bikes was 20 bucks!!! Also you can spend a few bucks more get the ultra torque cranks or even the group in a triple set up. So why by from the UK grey market?

When you can buy from the U.S. gray market?

sfscott
05-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Give Mike a shout.

charliedid
05-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Hi folks,

Thanks

Bike Shop

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 06:29 AM
When you can buy from the U.S. gray market?

Glad somebody said it.

Look, nobody gives this stuff away..sell at low or zero margin. Not Planet Cyclery, not Velomine, not Colorado Cyclist, nobody. If 'somebody' sells at what is recognized as 'wholesale prices', it means they bought at something way below wholesale and the only guys that do that are...distributors or some who have some sort of gray/black market path to get stuff(there is one in Ukraine and another I heard of in some country in Africa). Some of those distributors choose to sell to bike shops and also sell direct to consumers. It happens in Europe, it happens in the USA. If they sold something that cost them $60 for $65, their volume would have to be huge to make up for lost margin..they don't buy it at $60, they buy it at $35 or so. Distributor margin is somewhat less than retail margin(an industry accepted 37 points or so is the MINUMUM to break even..divide cost by .63 to get your price..most use 40 points..often to cover CC fees) because their fixed expenses are lower..no store front, less insurance, generally less labor expense, often no CC fees...etc.

But again, the only entity that can 'fix' this are the manufacturers, but most choose not to. They know what's going on..Ernesto knows Maestro-UK is deeply discounting his frames, Valentino knows all the UK MO places are doing this with Campagnolo...Conti and Vittoria know biketiresdirect are selling their high end tires for 1/2 of 'normal' retail..and yes, Look/Conti/Vittoria/Campagnolo/shimano..know PlanetCyclery are doin' it too...

So...consumers, I have never condemned a consumer for getting a screaming good deal...good for you. And as a bike shop, all you can do is find a niche, a market, and aggressively pursue that market...

Service is where it's at..I would hate to try to sell Sidi shoes or Giro helmets or Look pedals, be a deliverer of bike goods..and have a gent try some shoes on, then get 'em at MO...grrrr.

Rant kinda over...but it's the nature of retail generally and bike retail specifically. One of the reasons that made it fun(service, being an expert) and one of the many reasons I got out..

Black Dog
05-06-2014, 06:35 AM
Prego

For the newbies here, no one has contributed as much to this forum as Vecchio's when it comes to Campagnolo knowledge.

My son is visiting Boulder this Summer. I have given him strict instructions to buy me swag that Vecchio's makes the most profit on.

Someday shops like this won't exist, and you'll be asking technical questions to someone who has an accent you can't understand, and has no knowledge of how things work together.

True. Vecchio's is way ahead of the rest of the industry. They provide amazing and very knowledgable service. Experts. Few places can do this with minimum wage students and racers working for a discount on parts and service. Trying to survive as a retailer is going to be death unless the grey market is shut down. Places like Vecchio's sell what you can not buy on line. Expert skill and knowledge.

Black Dog
05-06-2014, 06:40 AM
Glad somebody said it.

Is velomine running US grey market stuff? How do they do this with campy? There is no OEM back feeding like you get with shimano and SRAM. If they are I was not aware.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 07:12 AM
Is velomine running US grey market stuff? How do they do this with campy? There is no OEM back feeding like you get with shimano and SRAM. If they are I was not aware.

.................................................. .

Doesn't have to be unrestricted OEM resale...to sell at wholesale in the US.

I have no concrete proof of anything about anybody..just some conversations with a couple of US distributor's owners while at Interbike and some info I have gleened on my own. A meeting with a few, in the Campagnolo booth, with some people who are concerned about what's happening in the US..Europe is a different bag 'o worms. I am/was unhappy as a small bike shop owner. With some more ethical distributors, it's their very livelihood at stake..when they see wholesale pricing to the consumer by some 'retail' outlets in the US.

I am a civilian now, so one, I can say whatever I want and two, I don't have the access I had before I sold my shop.

BUT about $3450 for SR EPS group, wholesale, from 3 of the main Campagnolo disitributors in the USA, plus or minus a couple of hundred $.

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_259&products_id=1906

Black Dog
05-06-2014, 09:57 AM
.................................................. .

Doesn't have to be unrestricted OEM resale...to sell at wholesale in the US.

I have no concrete proof of anything about anybody..just some conversations with a couple of US distributor's owners while at Interbike and some info I have gleened on my own. A meeting with a few, in the Campagnolo booth, with some people who are concerned about what's happening in the US..Europe is a different bag 'o worms. I am/was unhappy as a small bike shop owner. With some more ethical distributors, it's their very livelihood at stake..when they see wholesale pricing to the consumer by some 'retail' outlets in the US.

I am a civilian now, so one, I can say whatever I want and two, I don't have the access I had before I sold my shop.

BUT about $3450 for SR EPS group, wholesale, from 3 of the main Campagnolo disitributors in the USA, plus or minus a couple of hundred $.

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_162_258_259&products_id=1906

Thanks.

I do not understand why Campy does not become it's own distributor. With the internet and low cost shipping they could sell directly to bike shops and skip the mark-up that a middle man takes for storing and reshipping a product. This would give them an advantage in the market, keep the LBS alive and let them have some margin, kill local and UK grey markets. Hell, they (Campy) could even run a higher margin and still everyone wins with a lower retail price (except the current distributors, of course).

Made in Italy, shipped to Campy in the US-stored, shipped to a distributor-stored, shipped to a LBS-stored, shipped to a customer or sold on site. :confused:

I am sure that I have missed something here. Just throwing ideas around.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks.

I do not understand why Campy does not become it's own distributor. With the internet and low cost shipping they could sell directly to bike shops and skip the mark-up that a middle man takes for storing and reshipping a product. This would give them an advantage in the market, keep the LBS alive and let them have some margin, kill local and UK grey markets. Hell, they (Campy) could even run a higher margin and still everyone wins with a lower retail price (except the current distributors, of course).

Made in Italy, shipped to Campy in the US-stored, shipped to a distributor-stored, shipped to a LBS-stored, shipped to a customer or sold on site. :confused:

Really expensive to go manufacturer direct. Basically creating a second business. But it 'could' solve a lot of this issues.

FlashUNC
05-06-2014, 11:09 AM
Thanks.

Really expensive to go manufacturer direct. Basically creating a second business. But it 'could' solve a lot of this issues.

To OP's point, I met nearly all of Campy NA's employees at NAHBS this year. There were three guys that I met on the show floor, and one mentioned they had five employees for the entirety of North America. Shimano and SRAM had more employees at the show than Campy has for all of the continent.

Given those kinds of resources, I think creating a whole direct-to-dealer model for Campy right now is unrealistic.

Vientomas
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
I directed the folks at Velomine to this thread. Here is the response I received:

"The campy prices are a dilemma for any bike shop. I call usa distributors and argue about the standard wholesale prices and use the prices at the uk sites and planet cyclery as leverage. I get all our campy from usa distributors including Hawley USA, QPB, J&B Importers, BTI, Oschner International, Seattle Bike Supply and Sinclair Imports. Bike shops and usa distributors have complained about UK pricing for years. Campagnolo North America has constantly said they are working on it but nothing happens. I think the UK sites are a distributor and retailer at the same time, which isn't allowed here in the States.

We don't bother to advertise Shimano because of all the low prices online but we do our best to match the pricing if a customer asks for Shimano.. Same goes for SRAM.

NO problem if you want to post that on the paceline forums.

Thanks,

Ben Cole
Velo Mine
velomine.com
301 West Madison St
Springfield IL 62702
shop: 217.679.2356
mobile: 217.827.1173
fax: 217.679.2791

Black Dog
05-06-2014, 12:23 PM
To OP's point, I met nearly all of Campy NA's employees at NAHBS this year. There were three guys that I met on the show floor, and one mentioned they had five employees for the entirety of North America. Shimano and SRAM had more employees at the show than Campy has for all of the continent.

Given those kinds of resources, I think creating a whole direct-to-dealer model for Campy right now is unrealistic.

Not possible unless they want to do it and make it happen. Campy has a great product that they just don't seem to be interested in selling in North America. Too bad.

druptight
05-06-2014, 12:41 PM
FWIW, Velomine is a brick and mortar store isn't it? All my dealings with Ben have been fantastic and based on the response above it sounds like an above board business trying to compete (and not using grey markets to do so).

bluesea
05-06-2014, 02:05 PM
Thanks for setting things straight on Velomine. I've purchased a chorus groupset from them, and Ben took care of a defective Chorus chain no hassle.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 03:01 PM
Thanks for setting things straight on Velomine. I've purchased a chorus groupset from them, and Ben took care of a defective Chorus chain no hassle.

Well I'm not implying anything but distributors named that own retail outlets in the USA came from a USA distributor, not listed, who sells Campagnolo.

I really doubt anybody will encourage a distributor to sell at a loss for any retailer. Velomine sells at wholesale plus about 10%. I really doubt they are paying $60 for something and selling it at $70.

They sell a SR EPS group for $200 over wholesale. Sorry, I don't believe they can negotiate those types of $ from the Campagnolo distributors mentioned, UK MO or not.

In these conversations, Velomine and planet Cyclery comes up a lot.

bluesea
05-06-2014, 03:16 PM
^ I hear you.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 03:25 PM
I directed the folks at Velomine to this thread. Here is the response I received:

"The campy prices are a dilemma for any bike shop. I call usa distributors and argue about the standard wholesale prices and use the prices at the uk sites and planet cyclery as leverage. I get all our campy from usa distributors including Hawley USA, QPB, J&B Importers, BTI, Oschner International, Seattle Bike Supply and Sinclair Imports. Bike shops and usa distributors have complained about UK pricing for years. Campagnolo North America has constantly said they are working on it but nothing happens. I think the UK sites are a distributor and retailer at the same time, which isn't allowed here in the States.

We don't bother to advertise Shimano because of all the low prices online but we do our best to match the pricing if a customer asks for Shimano.. Same goes for SRAM.

NO problem if you want to post that on the paceline forums.

Thanks,

Ben Cole
Velo Mine
velomine.com
301 West Madison St
Springfield IL 62702
shop: 217.679.2356
mobile: 217.827.1173
fax: 217.679.2791

Why would these distributors take care of Velomine $ wise at the expense of their base, IBDs? If I saw a distributor gave special treatment to Velomine, I as a bike shop, would stop buying from them. I did that very thing with Ochsner. If 300 IBDs did....why I don't think Velomine deals with any more than one distributor, and lives off that relationship.

bobswire
05-06-2014, 04:19 PM
Why would these distributors take care of Velomine $ wise at the expense of their base, IBDs? If I saw a distributor gave special treatment to Velomine, I as a bike shop, would stop buying from them. If 300 IBDs did....why I don't think Velomine deals with any more than one distributor, and lives off that relationship.

"Why would these distributors take care of Velomine $ wise at the expense of their base, IBDs?"

Most shops just pay stated "wholesale"pricing then complain to their customers about it,then blame those same customers for buying off shore or thru Velomine,et al.
Maybe if other shops aggressively sought better pricing compared to Europe and created faster turnover like Velomine maybe they'd get better pricing instead of just whining about it.
If you have a shop that is selling a 100 units every month and one taking 2 or 3,who is going to get a better deal through a distributor?
Anyway If you are getting screwed yet keep bending over to get screwed again, whose fault is it? :)

54ny77
05-06-2014, 04:34 PM
Bike parts as loss leaders....gee, who knew?

:bike:

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 04:38 PM
"Why would these distributors take care of Velomine $ wise at the expense of their base, IBDs?"

Most shops just pay stated "wholesale"pricing then complain to their customers about it,then blame those same customers for buying off shore or thru Velomine,et al.
Maybe if other shops aggressively sought better pricing compared to Europe and created faster turnover like Velomine maybe they'd get better pricing instead of just whining about it.
If you have a shop that is selling a 100 units every month and one taking 2 or 3,who is going to get a better deal through a distributor?
Anyway If you are getting screwed yet keep bending over to get screwed again, whose fault is it? :)

That 100 unit reseller isn't going to get a 30-40% discount, then be able to sell at wholesale. Colorado Cyclist, Competitve Cyclist and Excel are at least as big as Velomine or bigger but don't get these deals. Why does Velomine?

Velomine buys and sells at the same margins as any retailer, they are paying way less than wholesale. OEM level of costs, distributor costs, what a distributor pays to manufacturers, not what a retailer pays even with a quantity 'deal'.

Even Velomine mentioned it in his 'statement'....how UK does it.

AgilisMerlin
05-06-2014, 04:47 PM
literally, from a person / correct !

http://www.speedbicycles.ch/specials/swap_interview/speed_007.jpg

http://www.probikekit.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/5166095697_9ac0a11ab8_b-251x300.jpg

http://leica1956.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/pinarello.jpg

Ralph
05-06-2014, 04:50 PM
I don't know how the shape of the lever and buttons of the 11 speed shifters (Athena and Chorus) differs from my 10 speed 2010 Centaur Ultra and 2011 Centaur Powershift shifters. I don't ever use the dump feature as my front chainrings aren't that far apart (42/52 and 39/52), and I never need to make two shifts to get to same place. I live where it's mostly flat, etc, and I can push that button might fast for a shift to a smaller cog, and sweep the lever for 3 gears up shift, which I do use a lot. Having said this....I like the shifting of my Power shift better (when I reach up with my thumb for shift) than my Ultra shift, when shifting from the drops, I like the shape and size of the "button" better on the Power Shift. Don't know how shape of 11's hoods compare to mine. My point is....don't be too quick to pay up for the Chorus Shifters over the Athena. Sure....if you want the dump feature, get the Chorus. Otherwise, I wouldn't pay much extra for them. Maybe try some before you spend the extra money. If I were getting Chorus anything, would just get the whole Groupo, for not much more than just the levers. That would be worth it. IMHO I would rather upgrade the crank set than the shifters.