PDA

View Full Version : PSA Cycling past 50

cnighbor1
05-05-2014, 02:46 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Past-50-Ageless-Athlete/dp/0880117370
''Conventional wisdom says that middle-aged cyclists should slow down and expect to achieve less as they grow older. But in Cycling Past 50, author Joe Friel shows cyclists that with proper training and the right attitude, the years after 50 can be their best ever.

Written for cyclists of all types-road riders, mountain bikers, track racers-this book provides an in-depth look at the full range of considerations for cycling successfully into and through middle age.

Joe Friel, a writer and contributing editor to several top cycling publications and a dedicated rider himself, will inspire cyclists toward better performance and more biking enjoyment as he presents:

- basic principles of training....''
IF YOUR GETTING OLDER AND THAT DARN BICYCLE FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON IS NOT GOING HAS FAST HAS IN THE GOOD OLD FAST DAYS THAN THIS BOOK IF WORTH READING

jlwdm
05-05-2014, 03:11 PM
Great cycling years over 50.

Jeff

tiretrax
05-05-2014, 04:38 PM
Watch SloMo. I'm not worried about keeping up with 25 year olds. Just meeting my fitness goals and that I get out of cycling what I want.

When I was a boy, I remember trying to keep up with my father in anything we did. He kept riding and skiing through his late 70's, and he took pride in seeing how he passed the baton to me - which meant I had to wait for him.

Ti Designs
05-05-2014, 07:39 PM
People are idiots. They're told something often enough and they start to believe it. As you get older you'll get slower. 50 is older, expect to slow down. Blah blah blah...

Most people who say stupid things like this were never very good, so when an excuse like age comes along they're all to happy to use it. Who defines age in cycling anyway? I have three clients who are in their 80's - they all plan on riding better this year than they did last year, so clearly they're not old...

I turn 50 in two days.

54ny77
05-05-2014, 08:15 PM
50 is nothing. i know quite a few guys in their 60's who can give many domestic pros a serious run on the right day/course.

happycampyer
05-05-2014, 08:56 PM
50 is nothing. i know quite a few guys in their 60's who can give many domestic pros a serious run on the right day/course.Yeah, but miraculously the pros have all been clean since 2006...

F150
05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
In 1987, when I was 25 and pedaling a loaded MTB up the Aspen side of Independence Pass with an old friend, I distinctly remember being passed (more like blown away) by a tanned Adonis with flowing white hair, no helmet, and gold chains that probably weighed more than his sexy little Italian machine. Had to be in his 70's and made that climb look effortless wearing nothing more than shorts, black leather shoes and a smile.

I'm 52 now. Here's hoping we all make it to a ripe old age and enjoy a nice ride every time the chance presents itself.

bluesea
05-05-2014, 09:30 PM
I'll wait for his "Cycling past 60".

teleguy57
05-05-2014, 09:34 PM
60 tomorrow; have a nice 60 miler planned with a friend. She's older than me and kicks my butt on the bike.

cnighbor1
05-05-2014, 09:42 PM
People are idiots. They're told something often enough and they start to believe it. As you get older you'll get slower. 50 is older, expect to slow down. Blah blah blah...

Most people who say stupid things like this were never very good, so when an excuse like age comes along they're all to happy to use it. Who defines age in cycling anyway? I have three clients who are in their 80's - they all plan on riding better this year than they did last year, so clearly they're not old...

I turn 50 in two days.
Due to a few car accidents I went to Innate wellness center in CA Dr. Cohen got me in better shape than before the accidents. Unless you cross train and do some core work your body gets built in to do the one sport your doing. which results in an out of balance body. Muscles need to stretched etc

54ny77
05-05-2014, 09:51 PM
is that when it all became puppy dogs and rainbows?

:p

Yeah, but miraculously the pros have all been clean since 2006...

Tony
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
Two things has never happened until this year, age 55. I did 50.2 mph on a down hill last week while training for a century, didn't want to clear my computer for three days, and for the first time while doing sprint intervals I'm hitting 30 + mph. I'm very encouraged! This new found fitness has me wanting to upgrade components on my bike!

Tony
05-05-2014, 10:40 PM
On the flip side, a week ago I took my two granddaughters to the YMCA to swim.
While showing off to them by going underwater the width of the pool I heard all kinds of noises coming from of shoulders, lots of cracking and grinding sounds, scary.

shovelhd
05-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Happy Birthday, teleguy.

I'm nowhere near as fast at 57 as I was at 21 when I started racing. That's to be expected. I'm a strong threat to win in my age group at the national level and I can still finish top 20 in a pro criterium. Beating guys younger than me is part of the motivation to keep racing. The mental aspect can be the biggest blocker as we age.

I've wanted to read this book mainly because I like his other books. Thanks for the reminder.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 07:35 AM
- basic principles of training....''
IF YOUR(you're) GETTING OLDER AND THAT DARN BICYCLE, FOR SOME UNKNOWN REASON IS NOT GOING HAS(as) FAST HAS(as) IN THE GOOD OLD FAST DAYS THAN(then) THIS BOOK IF(is) WORTH READING[/QUOTE]

Not an english teacher but spell check please...Joe????

bobswire
05-06-2014, 08:16 AM
Happy Birthday, teleguy.

I'm nowhere near as fast at 57 as I was at 21 when I started racing. That's to be expected. I'm a strong threat to win in my age group at the national level and I can still finish top 20 in a pro criterium. Beating guys younger than me is part of the motivation to keep racing. The mental aspect can be the biggest blocker as we age.

I've wanted to read this book mainly because I like his other books. Thanks for the reminder.

I have it, if you want it I'll send it to you. All I ask is you hand it down to another forum member when finished. PM me your address.

shovelhd
05-06-2014, 08:20 AM
I will take you up on your offer but I have to finish Cycle of Lies first. If someone else can read it now I will defer to them.

soulspinner
05-06-2014, 08:39 AM
60 tomorrow; have a nice 60 miler planned with a friend. She's older than me and kicks my butt on the bike.

Cool

Tony
05-06-2014, 09:24 AM
Weight training helps as you get older. I've been following these videos during the winter months and its made a difference. These are Lance videos :) I like all the one legged workouts.
Below is one of many of these videos.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHjxsS08kBI

TimD
05-06-2014, 03:11 PM
I turned 55 in March.

I don't think I'm going to get much faster, but I'm not slowing down much either.

That said, I finish a 3-hour ride and think "How did I ever finish the Harpoon B2B (136-150 mi, one day) four times?"

I met Don Metz this winter. With three others, won the 2012 RAAM, breaking the over-70 and over-60 records (by 27 and 3.5 hours, respectively). Twenty minutes @ 160 BPM, back in the van, recover, repeat - like 900 times. At 69, climbed up Mt Washington in 1:26. A new addition to my set of elder heroes.

"A man is like a bicycle - he stops, he falls" - Emmo

Mr.Pave
05-06-2014, 04:27 PM
I ride better now with more all around power at 51 then I did in my 30's and that's after a 16 year layoff.
Part of it is training smarter plus the last bikes I rode regularly in the 90's before buying a couple featherlight,
carbon race bikes last year was a couple of Eddy Merckx Corsa Extras with down-tube shifters.
I can't believe how good we have it right now.

ZeKGB
05-06-2014, 10:31 PM
Turning 50 in September, I guess I should add this to the birthday gift list :)

Have only started riding seriously in the last few years and am in much better shape than any time since I was a teenager (of course in my head I am still only 25, so it really wasn't that long ago.) Wish I had found cycling back then, am jealous of all you guys that have had it all your lives, but as my family is quick to point out I'm definitely making up for lost time.

cmg
05-06-2014, 11:29 PM
at 55 i enjoy it way more now than i ever did when i was younger. i use to use it as a stress reliever, now it allows me to relax. amazed at what pops into my mind while riding. some of that is due to better equipment, most of it is not caring about equipment. never fast, still not fast, will probably not be fast. stretching, yoga, foundation work out help more than just cycling so that's worth a look. the book is a good read.