PDA

View Full Version : Compression Plug VS Star Nut for Serotta F3 Fork

pjmsj21
05-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I have searched this topic and I have learned that is you have a carbon steerer, the compression plug is the only way to go. But for an alloy steerer on the F3, is there a reason I should use one over the other? Thanks for your patience on the wrenching questions as I go through this first time build.....as I anticipate that there will be more.

dave thompson
05-05-2014, 01:48 PM
I have searched this topic and I have learned that is you have a carbon steerer, the compression plug is the only way to go. But for an alloy steerer on the F3, is there a reason I should use one over the other? Thanks for your patience on the wrenching questions as I go through this first time build.....as I anticipate that there will be more.

F3s have alloy steer tubes? Mine was carbon. To your question; a star nut is sort of forever, it can't be removed just moved. With a compression plug you have many more choices.

If you do have an alloy steer tube, either will work just fine. Both will allow you to adjust your headset with equal ease.

Mike Lopez
05-05-2014, 01:54 PM
If you have a fork that supposed to be an F3 and it has an alloy steerer then it's a fake. We never used metal steerers in F3 forks.

Are you sure it's not an old F1?

BTW...It's not a good idea to pound star nutz into carbon tubes. Some folks seem to think it's okay but I've seen some disasters occur from this...

happycampyer
05-05-2014, 02:02 PM
never mind...

pjmsj21
05-05-2014, 02:19 PM
Oooops......for some reason I thought it was alloy. Thus compression plug it is.