PDA

View Full Version : Wwyd?

F150
05-05-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, my son has tired of riding old crap I've cobbled together or breathed new life into well beyond its useful life and wishes to make a significant bike purchase. Ripped the flange out of a 30 yr old rear hub yesterday (probably due to my spoke tensioning ineptitude) and wants something a bit more reliable, more than 6sp, etc. He's using his own money so I shouldn't care too much, but know you can get a lot of bike for the money on both the new and used market.

Big boy (6'-5", 225lbs) and has only test ridden a Specialized Roubaix around this price point (and loved it). Unfortunately, few shops stock largest of frame sizes so hasn't been able to compare to anything else.

If you had $2,500 cash in hand, what would you do? Turn back hands of time and put it all on winning Derby Trifecta not an option.

ceolwulf
05-05-2014, 11:55 AM
I would be pretty tempted by a Scott Solace 30 at that price point.

charliedid
05-05-2014, 12:00 PM
Both very nice and robust bikes for the $ IMO

http://colnago.com/geometry-strada-sl/

http://www.bmc-racing.com/us-en/bikes/road/platform/endurance/granfondo/gf02/105_/

RedRider
05-05-2014, 12:03 PM
I agree with the Colnago Strada SL. With Ultegra $2400, with 105 $1700

Black Dog
05-05-2014, 12:13 PM
CAAD 10 is a great machine and can be had for less money than he plans to spend.

http://cycling-passion.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/2013-cannondale-caad10-black-gray.jpg

4Rings6Stars
05-05-2014, 12:16 PM
I would scour the internets for a deal on a slick high end frameset and build with a new Ultegra group and some decent wheels...

I doubt I will ever buy a brand new off the shelf bike. Just seems crazy with all the deals available on lightly used high end stuff.

thirdgenbird
05-05-2014, 12:18 PM

I'm liking the sound of the 6800 strada SL but I would look at the used market. Plenty of big stuff come up on the classifieds.

tiretrax
05-05-2014, 12:26 PM
I would scour the internets for a deal on a slick high end frameset and build with a new Ultegra group and some decent wheels...

I doubt I will ever buy a brand new off the shelf bike. Just seems crazy with all the deals available on lightly used high end stuff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Seven-Cycles-Titanium-Axiom-66cm-XXL-Very-Tall-/221433024366?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item338e6fcf6e

rnhood
05-05-2014, 12:28 PM
I'd go with the Specialized Roubaix or Trek Domane. Modern, suitably lightweight and smooth riding. The Roubaix comes with a life time warranty, the Trek might but I'm not sure. Anyway, both are great bikes. Many others should float his boat too but, I recommend buying something that he can test ride.... it helps mitigate risk.

Elefantino
05-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Big boy? Breezer Venturi. Ultegra 11, lifetime guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2D2
05-05-2014, 01:02 PM
How old is he(going to grow more)?
Hard to break a BMC.
Wait for end of season and get a built up bargain.

cmbicycles
05-05-2014, 01:14 PM

bikinchris
05-05-2014, 07:05 PM
One of my customers just bought a 2013 Trek Madone closeout on sale. Check for Trek Deals. There are usually good sales on the biggest and smallest bikes available.

Peter P.
05-05-2014, 08:11 PM
How old is he(going to grow more)?

My sentiments, exactly. You don't want to buy a bike he's going to outgrow but if you must, buy something used to hold him over until he's done growing. Also, if he plans on doing his own wrenching, better that he practice on lower tiered equipment.

I have no specific brand recommendations but due to your son's size, don't compromise on frame size just because there's a bargain out there.

oldpotatoe
05-05-2014, 08:16 PM

I hear 'em crying from here.

F150
05-05-2014, 08:25 PM
Many thanks for the feedback, it is appreciated.

Hopefully, there's no more growing on the horizon. 21 yrs old, 36" inseam and not a binge eater like his old man, so body weight should remain pretty steady. He corrected me: weight 215 lbs. Had 4 wisdom teeth removed this morning (great fun for his week off from college), may lose a pound or two as a result. Loves to ride, and a fairly recent convert after a youth and high school baseball career which commandeered his free time. I don't see racing in his future, more a sport rider type, but loves to punish Dad when he can.

He test rode the Roubaix during the Thanksgiving holiday, with me in tow on my Trek 520. All I heard behind me was "ooooh" and "aaaahh". He felt very comfortable in the saddle, loved the seamless gearing, shifting, etc. Jumped out of the saddle and stomped it without fear of chain skipping or something snapping. That alone sold him. As far as other suggested rides, Trek Domane and CAAD 10 are likely the only ones stocked locally but not in the upper range of frame sizes. 61cm Synapse is as big as I've been able to find. We've been patiently waiting for a Cannondale demo day to come anywhere near Nashville, but the one chance in Atlanta didn't work (conflict with son's exams IIRC).

There have been some beautiful machines come thru the Classifieds here, and I've come really close to jumping on a few myself. But the old "try several and buy the one that fits" axiom is hard to follow when bike isn't close enough to test ride.

Again, thanks for the responses. There's a lot of good bikes and quality components out there. If picking the wrong one is the worst thing that happens in life, he'll be fine.

TimD
05-06-2014, 01:21 PM
Try running him through the Fit Calculator on the Competitive Cyclist web site

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/Store/catalog/fitCalculatorBike.jsp

If he's 6'5" with a 36" inseam something 62 or larger, with a 59 or longer TT, is likely to work (I'm similarly sized). Finding something with adequate HT length is more difficult, but lack of flexibility and/or a large saddle-to-bar drop may not be issues for a young'un.

flydhest
05-14-2014, 06:12 AM
CAAD 10. For his size and for the value, I would think it is hard to match.

bcroslin
05-14-2014, 06:26 AM
CAAD 10 with Ultegra. I was in a LBS in Albuquerque last week and they were selling CAAD's with Ultegra DI2 for $2150.

jr59
05-14-2014, 06:28 AM
Being about that size myself....cough, cough....ok maybe a bit heavier....:banana:

I can tell you that there are a lot of very nice frames, full bikes going through the classified ads these days. Glad I don't have room or much cash right now. :p

Just look around, there are a LOT of very nice bikes at that price point!

Don't know what to tell you about keeping up with him...you are on your own there.

markie
05-14-2014, 06:50 AM
I have a colleague that is around that size and weight. He just got a Caad10 and he loves it. He takes every possible opportunity to drop me. :help:

Kirk Pacenti
05-14-2014, 07:05 AM
That CAAD 10 looks like a pretty good choice to me as well...

Lanterne Rouge
05-14-2014, 07:13 AM
I don't see racing in his future, more a sport rider type, but loves to punish Dad when he can

Why not something more versatile? Room for 28's (at least) with fenders and racks. All the bikes mentioned are pretty dialed in race ready machines. It I had that money burning a hole I'd get something off the classifieds here. Things I'd consider:

IF Club Racer
Mercian Audux
Cielo (Chris King's bikes)
Seven
Van Nicholas
Rivendell :eek: (lower down the list :))

Just a thought.