PDA

View Full Version : Prescription inserts for riding glasses

Lewis Moon
05-05-2014, 08:19 AM
I need prescription glasses (bifocals) and can't stand contacts. I started looking at the Rudy Project glasses with the prescription inserts (they work and are cheapish) and was wondering if anyone has any experience with sport glasses with inserts? I usually ride with just my regular glasses (like Fignon!) but they don't do a lot on descents.
Another question: when the going gets really sweaty and there's little in the way of a breeze (aka: climbing) do the close fitting glasses get hot and uncomfortable? I see a lot of photos of climbers with their glasses tucked into their helmets. I'd rather keep mine on all the time.
I suppose I could just get some stupid large aviator glasses like I wore skydiving back in the '80s...um...no.

Veloo
05-05-2014, 08:46 AM
I've got astigmatism and I've gone through 2 sets of Rx cycling glasses. An old set from the 80's - the brand was American...something. Can't recall.
Currently I have Rudy Project Rydons. I find the Rx insert adds a bit of front end weight and can cause the glasses to shift a bit.
The Rx insert does touch your face a bit more so it's a bit annoying.
The biggest issue is the curvature of the sport lens/ shield that wraps around your face for protection doesn't work with prescriptions as a flatter lens placement is needed. This forced curvature of the Rx lens can cause some distortion. I got the optician to flatten the Rudy's a bit but the distortion is still noticeable.
Years ago Smith Optics made a prescription set of glasses with a flatter lens that had side edges that bent in to close the gap. I haven't seen them in about 10 years.
You can get direct prescription lenses depending on your prescription. My astigmatism doesn't allow for this.
Here's one place that does it.
http://www.sportrx.com/

I wear contacts when I ride. It can get uncomfortable at times but I like it better than the insert.

eddief
05-05-2014, 09:01 AM
http://www.rudyproject.com/products/glasses/exception-std/mirror-gun/mirror-gun.html

Unfortunately, I don't think they are made anymore. But I have a progressive clear prescription bifocal insert that sits under the flip up sun glass lenses.

Rudy now makes another flip up, but their website is so crappy you can't really find it and when you do, it is hard to tell how it works or what parts you get when you buy the glasses.

My RB3 work well since the insert is flat like normal glasses and you can interchange sun glass lenses to fit lighting conditions. No part of the glasses is so close to my face to ever make that an issue. On the other hand, wind protection is not the strong suit.

Rudy stuff is pricey, but their warranty replacement policy is pretty liberal so it all works out well in the end.

Birddog
05-05-2014, 09:17 AM
I have used the Rudy Noyz with the RX insert for almost 4 years now and before that I used a similar set up made by Bolle. I like them a lot, esp the Rudy's. The RX insert is curved and your lens maker needs to know the number which Rudy will provide. I used Lens Crafters for the insert and the first time they didn't get it correct but they made another set with the proper curvature. Total investment was way over $300 but that's far less than the alternative. I'm about ready for another scrip. BTW, I use the transition lenses 99% of the time. Rudy makes quality stuff IMO.

Lewis Moon
05-05-2014, 09:35 AM
I have used the Rudy Noyz with the RX insert for almost 4 years now and before that I used a similar set up made by Bolle. I like them a lot, esp the Rudy's. The RX insert is curved and your lens maker needs to know the number which Rudy will provide. I used Lens Crafters for the insert and the first time they didn't get it correct but they made another set with the proper curvature. Total investment was way over $300 but that's far less than the alternative. I'm about ready for another scrip. BTW, I use the transition lenses 99% of the time. Rudy makes quality stuff IMO.

Are the inserts big enough for a bifocal?

DRZRM
05-05-2014, 09:36 AM
I don't like RX inserts, because as a heavy sweater, I've gotten sweat between the lenses and the insert (can't remember what brand I was using) and you have to disassemble to clean them up. I've been on Oakley Rx lenses (transitions) for 10 years or so now (2 pairs, lost the first ones) and I am constantly amazed by the quality of the construction and that of their optics. Little to no distortion around the edges.

Lewis Moon
05-05-2014, 09:45 AM
I'm also thinking of getting a set of Ray-Bans with the prescription lenses. Wearing those off the bike would look a bit less _________ (fill in the blank)

http://social.ray-ban.com/_repository/_resources/_collections/sun/RB2027/W1847/_large_760_430/W1847.png

Birddog
05-05-2014, 09:48 AM
Are the inserts big enough for a bifocal?

I forgot to mention that. I have no line bifocals and they work like a charm. I'm a profuse sweater and have never had a problem as described above. I also use them for skiing and while fog resistant, they are not fool proof.

sc53
05-05-2014, 10:10 AM
My nearsightedness is such that my prescription won't fit in most sport type sunglasses. I just got a pair of Wiley-X prescription sunglasses that is built in such a way that my prescription, with my bifocals (it's a transition lens, not actual "bifocal"), fit in there perfectly. I like the looks and fit, and I can see the cue sheet as well as the road ahead, but they curve on the sides so that my peripheral vision on the bike is impaired. When I look over my shoulder to see if cars are coming, well, I have to turn my head way around as in the Exorcist. But at the same time, the curvature means my eyes don't water from the wind. I guess I could start using A MIRROR :no:

Here's the model I got-- the "Gravity" with a removeable facial seal thing that I don't wear because the glasses get sealed to your face and you sweat!
http://www.wileyx.com/EcommSuite/ProductDetail.aspx?ActivityCode=OUTDOORS&SeriesCode=559&ProductLine=957,CCGRA&ItemCode=CCGRA01

GRAVITY MATTE BLACK FRAME W/ RX RIM & GREY LENSES

$90.00

PRODUCTS AVAILABLE
GRAVITY GREY LENS/MATTE BLACK FRAME GRAVITY MATTE BLACK FRAME W/ RX RIM & GREY LENSES GRAVITY GREY SILVER FLASH/MATTE WHITE FRAME GRAVITY CLEAR LENS / MATTE BLACK FRAME GRAVITY POL BLUE MIRROR LENS/BLACK CRYSTAL FRAME GRAVITY LA GREY LENS/GLOSS BLACK FRAME GRAVITY BRONZE FLASH LENS/BROWN CRYSTAL FRAME
◾FEATURES WILEY X PATENTED REMOVABLE FACIAL CAVITY SEAL TECHNOLOGY
◾GASKET BLOCKS OUT WIND, LIGHT, DUST, AND DEBRIS FOR A SECURE FIT AT HIGH SPEEDS AND PROTECTION FROM HAZARDS
◾SHATTERPROOF LENSES BLOCK 100% OF UV RAYS
◾CERTIFIED TO ANSI Z87.1-2003 HIGH IMPACT AND OPTICAL PERFORMANCE STANDARD
◾RATED AS OSHA GRADE OCCUPATIONAL PROTECTIVE EYEWEAR

bikerboy337
05-05-2014, 10:14 AM
I've used sportsoptical.com for my latest pair of Rudy's. They're great, I've only ever done in glass prescriptions, but mines a big one with astigmatism and they turned out perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRZRM
05-05-2014, 10:16 AM
+1

I had them make my second Oakleys and they were great to work with.

I've used sportsoptical.com for my latest pair of Rudy's. They're great, I've only ever done in glass prescriptions, but mines a big one with astigmatism and they turned out perfect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05-05-2014, 03:32 PM
I've tried the Rudy's and find that either perspiration or rain or cold-weather fogging will almost always do them in. In addition, the prescription lens is so close to my face that my eyelashes hit it and it becomes very irritating.

I switched to prescription Oakleys and haven't had a problem since. I have a 5.5 diopter correction with significant astigmatism and a strong progressive component, and Oakley was able to handle this correction in something like 8 different sports designs. I understand they've pushed the limit further with an optical redesign late last year. And helmets are practically designed to hold Oakleys, so if you intend to take them off on a climb (not an option for me because I couldn't see to ride) they should fit well into your helmet.

EPOJoe
05-05-2014, 03:42 PM
I just use these over my prescription glasses:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TAC-POLARIZED-FIT-glasses-OVER-SUNGLASSES-yellow-NIGHT-DRIVING-/291072453309?pt=US_Sunglasses&hash=item43c5452abd

Waldo
05-05-2014, 04:14 PM
Prescription lenses will work much better in any frame than inserts. You can even get prescription lenses put into $7.99 convenience store frames.

Peter P.
05-05-2014, 04:16 PM
I've got prescription Oakleys I purschased from Sports Optical (http://www.sportsoptical.com/oakley_prescription_sunglasses.htm) in Denver, CO.

Their service was excellent, and they performed one free remake of my lenses due to no fault of their own. FYI, I wear progressive bifocals.

While I didn't get inserts, I plan on trying them when my prescription comes up for renewal. A good reason to choose inserts over a dedicated lens is the ability to switch out lens colors, another reason I'll try inserts on my next prescription. I tried the Transitions XtrActive lenses and had a severe starburst effect which was a real problem at night.

Here's what I learned, which should be useful to the OP's search for Rx glasses:

Make absolutely sure the glasses fit securely. I initially bought Oakley Flak Jackets, which are meant for M/L faces. On my small face, they kept slipping down my nose. I switched to Half Jackets which supports smaller faces such as my size 7 head, and they fit well.

Next you'll want to ensure you view through the lenses while in the drops. In my case, even the Half Jackets are positioned such that I'm either looking into the frame or over the top, particularly when in the drops. As a result, wind is forced across my eyes on descents and even at 30mph my eyes tear up. Next time I will try a different frame. As an afterthought, I compared my prescription Half Jackets to my non-prescription Oakley M-Frames which provide good optical coverage even in the drops. I measured the distance from the top of the nose bridge to the top of the frame to see which sat higher on the face or had a taller lens. The M-Frames had an additional 8mm of height, which makes all the difference in the world.

Bruce K
05-05-2014, 04:21 PM
Sports Optical in Denver are the best

Lots of choices and lots of expertise

Check their website and then give them a call. They will answer all your questions and he'll you get what you need

They have done multiple sets between my son and me and multiple lenses

BK

eippo1
05-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Just ordered Oakley Racing jackets through my eye doc and they were pretty reasonable with my vision benefit. I'll let you know how they work out. Was surprised they could even do my prescription: 5.5 and 5.75.

Charles M
05-05-2014, 04:44 PM
Why do inserts...

Get Direct, in frame, wrap type lenses...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/so10smithlens.jpg

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/so10aa.jpg

Bi Focals, Progressives, Photochromic...

All without crappy inserts / second pair of glassesinyourglasses to carry around / clean...

Sportsoptical.com... (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/page/latestnews?id=88922)

choke
05-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Years ago I had a set of Bolles with the insert and I never warmed up to them. I didn't like the double lens effect nor the added weight. I ended up going the normal prescription sunglasses route.

I now have a couple of pair of Wiley X and I'm quite happy with them. They give great protection and are IMO far better on the bike that normal Rx sunglasses.

I also just received some Rudy Project Rx glasses and I think they may top the Wiley X for clarity. These have transition lenses and use their Free Form TEK (digital) technology. As an aside, I purchased these through GovX. It's open to anyone who is AD military, a veteran or Fed/State/local first responder type. They offer a discount through participating vendors, many of which are cycling related, Rudy Project being one. RP gives GovX members 40% off which made the price extremely nice.

ultraman6970
05-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Ultra needs new glasses right now, the stores around just sucks and with the reviews some get it scares me a lot to get my new prescriptions locally.

Gonna have to check this sports optical people.

UberBike
05-09-2014, 11:05 PM
I've never liked the inserts.
SportRx will send you a few of your choices to try on to help you pick what best fits your needs or fits your face.

Orville
05-10-2014, 10:45 AM
Just ordered Oakley Racing jackets through my eye doc and they were pretty reasonable with my vision benefit. I'll let you know how they work out. Was surprised they could even do my prescription: 5.5 and 5.75.

I have this too, with a 1.75 and 2 and absolutely love them. With two sets of lenses and the frames, it cost 500 or so after insurance. My lenses even have the air extraction holes so no fog.

happycampyer
05-10-2014, 11:15 AM
One of my biggest regrets was not getting progressive rx lenses—I had fixed rx lenses at my distance rx (from Oakley, which didn't make progressive lenses, not sure about now), but things close up (like a bike computer) were out of focus. Based on the recommendations from numerous previous threads here on the topic, I worked with Sports Optical in Colorado and couldn't be happier. A second frame with lenses for different lighting conditions than the first are currently on order.

makoti
05-10-2014, 03:35 PM
I have the Rudy Rydons. Clip-on inserts with my prescription at the bottom to empty/no perscription lens at the top. Progressive. Tried the cheaper lined. THAT was really bad to use. When I first put them on, it's annoying for about three minutes, then I don't notice it. With the line, all I could focus on was the jump between corrected & not. Ick.
Great for reading cue sheets & the computer. Ins paid for some of it, since the inserts counted as new frames. From my usual eye doc & price was better than I could have gotten on-line. Can switch out colors of my lenses & still have the reading when I need it & nothing when I don't. Very happy with them.

malcolm
05-11-2014, 09:05 AM
I'll get another shout to sports optical. Great service they do exactly what they say and deliver a flawless product when they say. Doesn't get much better.

jmeloy
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
I'm also thinking of getting a set of Ray-Bans with the prescription lenses. Wearing those off the bike would look a bit less _________ (fill in the blank)

http://social.ray-ban.com/_repository/_resources/_collections/sun/RB2027/W1847/_large_760_430/W1847.png

Hey Lewis, what is the name of that frame? Looks sharp.

buddybikes
05-11-2014, 05:41 PM
Rudy project horus - lens clips into the frame - I use drivewear on my third set, absolutely love drivewear. They put bi-focal in, but just in bottom 9mm to read maps and such.

malbecman
06-04-2014, 03:29 PM
After reading through this thread, I decided to bite the bullet and try wrap-around shades. My whole adult life I had been told I could not wear this style of sunglasses due to my strong prescription (myopic, -6 and -5 plus some prism for my astigmatism).

I decided to go with SportRx in San Diego and ordered up some Project Rudy Project Horus glasses with their Start to Finish lenses. (I already have a pair of regular flat sunglasses with ultra-dark polarized lenses for superbright days).

They came in about 10 days and I slipped them on yesterday evening in the kitchen and....it was friggin amazing! They really nailed my Rx perfectly, and I can truly see out the corners of my eyes now. I noticed it right away as I could easily read the digital clock over our stove out of the corner of my eye. Normally I would need to swivel my head to do this.

I went for my first ride today and they're pretty awesome. So nice to have that wrap-around protection now. :hello:

I'm sure the other store in Denver people recommended is great as well. I just wanted to give a big shout-out and thank everyone in this thread for convincing me that I could order and wear true cycling sunglasses. THANKS!!

cegerer
06-04-2014, 06:26 PM
A very inexpensive option that I've been using for 2 years. These are actually shooting/safety glasses. They have 'cheater' inserts in 1.25 thru 3.00. I was surprised how well the yellow lenses cut the glare even in bright sunshine. There is a dark lense also available. At $19.99, they're almost disposable.

Amazon: Magshot Shooting Glasses (http://www.amazon.com/Magnifying-Shooting-Glasses-Compliant-Magnifier/dp/B005IY8V68/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1401924114&sr=8-4&keywords=magnifier+shooting+glasses)

thegunner
06-04-2014, 07:02 PM
+1 on sportrx - they had me setup with a set of oakley half jacket lenses in under 2 weeks total

buddybikes
06-04-2014, 07:58 PM
actually the Horus, looking like a wrap-around is only 4 degrees much less than oakleys. This creates a better focal area.

eippo1
06-04-2014, 08:38 PM
Got my racing jackets in 5.5 and 5.75. Super impressed with having everything in my peripheral vision in focus. One thing to note is that with 2 curved, super-thick lenses is that there is some distortion. Got used to it quickly, but took about 3x wearing them our and about before I felt comfortable enough to wear them on the bike.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk