PDA

View Full Version : Do you toe curl?

floxy1
05-04-2014, 05:43 PM
I find myself doing it and can't stop unless I consciously think about it. Starting to get painful on long rides. One foot seems to be worse. Shoes are the right size. Anything to help with this other than focusing on it?

msl819
05-04-2014, 05:49 PM
I find myself doing it too. I wonder if it is cleat positioning or too much setback? It is like I am trying to grab with my toes at times. I also had a left Achilles' tendon rupture and subsequent repair about 4 1/2 years ago now. I tend to do it more with me left foot. I also wonder if that is a part of it. I will be curious to see what others have to say about toe curling.

oldpotatoe
05-04-2014, 05:58 PM
I find myself doing it and can't stop unless I consciously think about it. Starting to get painful on long rides. One foot seems to be worse. Shoes are the right size. Anything to help with this other than focusing on it?

I did until I got a meta tarsel lift insert...bump in center that forces my toes out.

YMMV

tiretrax
05-04-2014, 06:12 PM
I do it too on long rides when I am trying to slip into a different consciousness level to make it through the beat down.

What type of footbeds did you get, OP? Is the bump annoying or painful on long rides?

oldpotatoe
05-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I do it too on long rides when I am trying to slip into a different consciousness level to make it through the beat down.

What type of footbeds did you get, OP? Is the bump annoying or painful on long rides?

Not at all , e soles. But there are off the shelf insoles with 'the bump'.

rustychisel
05-04-2014, 07:11 PM
Yes, can do, but I'm pretty sure it's related to the shoe. Had a pair of Vittoria shoes I could never get on with, and suspect they were a smidge too long. Now using my trusty Adidas shoes for the 6th or 7th year.

Try OP's suggestion.

blessthismess
05-04-2014, 07:42 PM
I do it with my right food sometimes too. I suspect, like msl said above, that it may have something to do with the cleat position or shoe size but haven't really figured it out yet. I may look into some insoles as OP suggested because it is kinda driving me crazy!

Shortsocks
05-04-2014, 07:52 PM
My toes used to curl all the time. With both Sidi's (narrow), and specialized shoes (wider toe box). I at first thought it was the Sidi's, then when I bought my specialized I ended up doing the same thing.

I then changed my cleat position from the ball of my foot to closer to the front of my shoe. It stopped, I found out that I naturally point or have the tendency to point my feet down when I pedal. Specially when I'm in the drops, as odd as that sounds. Before I changed my cleats I messed around with saddle height, stem....everything I could to figure out why my toes keep on curling up...end up going numb. But for me it was the clear position....that and I did push my saddle a bit up after pushing my cleat forward. (On a side note, what I just wrote in one paragraph took me Years to figure out.)

downtube
05-04-2014, 07:55 PM
I was having foot pain and calf cramps, I put in the specialized insoles that have a good arch and a meta tarsal bump. Since I installed about two months ago the cramping and foot discomfort have disappeared.
chuck

Tony T
05-04-2014, 08:49 PM
I was having foot pain and calf cramps, I put in the specialized insoles that have a good arch and a meta tarsal bump.

I used to get mild pain in my big-toe after about 50mi until I got the Specialized Red insoles.
I see that they have a new design now: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/equipsparepartsshoes/body-geometry-sl-footbeds

floxy1
05-04-2014, 09:00 PM

I have the newest generation specialized insoles in blue with a 2.5 mm shim

regularguy412
05-04-2014, 09:02 PM
I did until I got a meta tarsel lift insert...bump in center that forces my toes out.

YMMV

^^ This.

You can also make yer own out of (yes that same ole stuff again).... mole skin. It's cut-to-fit. It's self-adhesive. Takes just two or three layers of the stuff AND if you make it yourself, you can put it EXACTLY where you want it on your current insoles.

The insoles that came with my Specialized S-Works shoes have the metatarsal support built in, but the insoles in my Shimano shoes didn't come that way. Hadda make some. Either type works just fine.

Also helps with numbness, at least, in my experience.

Mike in AR:beer:

cekte
05-05-2014, 12:58 AM
Thank you, this is a very helpful thread! I was discussing this very same issue with a friend just a few days ago

Asudef
05-05-2014, 01:35 AM
I tend to curl my toes under hard efforts and find my foot tends to cramp up around when the other muscles start feeling that way.

Never attributed it to shoes or cleat position though.

Isn't there new consensus that mid-foot cleat position is better?

Birddog
05-05-2014, 09:41 AM
I'm having a case of "Hot Foot' with my newest pair of Diadora's, same size as previous pairs (4 total). The condition you describe also called "eagle claw" happens with skiers all the time and it is generally thought the at least one contributor is too much volume in the shoe or boot.

My research has shown that cleat placement (usually further back) will help as will metatarsal buttons. I'm presently experimenting with the buttons but I'm not getting enough relief as yet. My pain starts at around mile 60. I've also read that a sole that is too stiff can contribute and these newest shoes are all carbon fiber with 0 flex. I haven't given up yet but I'm pretty sure that I'm going to have to get a half size smaller shoe and maybe still use the buttons for relief. I just did an 85 miler with about 8,000' of climbing with my old shoes and had no problem. The older shoes have a slightly less stiff sole and they fit a little more snugly. Cleat position is the same. I've been riding for over 20 years and this is the first time I've had this issue. I'm sure it is the shoes but can't quite nail the cure. A lot of people will swear that the Specialized shoes are the answer. They seem to have a lot of fit tweakers.

Waldo
05-05-2014, 04:23 PM
Since I'd gone to mid-foot cleat placement, my toes curl only during sex, probably because I'm barefoot then...

cnighbor1
05-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Feet don't forget exercise and massage
Feet like other part of the body need foot related exercises and of course massage.
I use a hand held electric vibrator. Massage. I bend to toes back and forth. Use a foot roller while standing. Stand and raise my body by raising up on my feet and holding just a bit. good for arches
there are massage clinics that offer for under $50 other foot massage.
That could help pin point what your problem is.

oldpotatoe
05-06-2014, 07:32 AM

I have also gotten these..they work well.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017L94BM/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Birddog
05-06-2014, 09:01 AM
Go to a shoe store that has a Brannock device and measure both feet as precisely as possible. I'll bet the foot that bothers you the most is the smaller of the two. It's not at all unusual to have feet with slightly different sizes. If that is the case try cutting out an insole shape from a thin piece of material that is about 1 or 2 mm thick that won't compress and put it in the shoe that houses the smaller foot. If that improves the situation, then your problem is associated with having too much volume in the shoe which allows your pinkies to flex and curl and go prehensile. Metatarsal buttons may also help. If you elevate your insole you might mess up your leg length and it might be noticeable although I'll bet not.

cmg
05-06-2014, 11:11 PM
the website didn't have the e-soles listed, so on to an internet search. apparently the manufactuer let the stock depleat. found the e-soles at Bike Effect, 910 Broadway #100, Santa Monica, CA 90401
(310) 393-4348, http://www.bikeeffect.com . should get them by this weekend.

floxy1
05-06-2014, 11:26 PM
Go to a shoe store that has a Brannock device and measure both feet as precisely as possible. I'll bet the foot that bothers you the most is the smaller of the two. It's not at all unusual to have feet with slightly different sizes. If that is the case try cutting out an insole shape from a thin piece of material that is about 1 or 2 mm thick that won't compress and put it in the shoe that houses the smaller foot. If that improves the situation, then your problem is associated with having too much volume in the shoe which allows your pinkies to flex and curl and go prehensile. Metatarsal buttons may also help. If you elevate your insole you might mess up your leg length and it might be noticeable although I'll bet not.

Very helpful, thanks.