PDA

View Full Version : Stay safe out there...

dpk501
05-04-2014, 03:31 PM
Had my second run in with a car in two years.

This time I walked away with bruised ribs 15 stitched on the knee, 5 on the upper lid outside, two inside. Two chipped teeth, one loosened one, cracked helmet and concussion.

Bike miraculously in good form. Little abrasion on the super record brifter and derailleur. Rapha jacket, not so lucky.

Any close calls for you guys out there this spring?

Black Dog
05-04-2014, 03:44 PM
Sounds rough. I hope you have a quick recovery. Drivers are nuts and unless you are a picture on the screen of their smart phone they are going to have a hard time seeing you.

Dead Man
05-04-2014, 04:11 PM
No contact. Just near misses. I hope it improves as more bikes come out and drivers start watching for us again. I rode all through the winter, and it seemed like I had a heart-stopper about once a week. I have a 60 mile commute and have never been hit... my buddy has a 3 mile commute and was hit twice this winter. Luck of the draw...

Hope your driver had good insurance. Rest up and heal well!

tiretrax
05-04-2014, 06:28 PM
Sorry to read about your injuries. I hope you recover quickly and that the driver will cover your expenses.

I'm curious about the wreck since most of my riding is urban - was the driver on a cellphone or run a stop sign? That's always been the case when I've had a near miss (fortunately, I haven't been clipped on the mean streets of Dallas, although some vatos tried to run me down last year - I jumped the curb to avoid being hit).

Wilkinson4
05-04-2014, 08:07 PM
I hate these threads! Be safe folks... Glad it wasn't worse but hitting pavement always sucks. You'll be back.

mIKE

Shortsocks
05-04-2014, 08:11 PM
Had my second run in with a car in two years.

This time I walked away with bruised ribs 15 stitched on the knee, 5 on the upper lid outside, two inside. Two chipped teeth, one loosened one, cracked helmet and concussion.

Bike miraculously in good form. Little abrasion on the super record brifter and derailleur. Rapha jacket, not so lucky.

Any close calls for you guys out there this spring?

What size is the Rapha Jacket.....want to sell it? :eek:
Get better, sorry to hear about the accident. Did the driver stop at least?

ultraman6970
05-04-2014, 08:53 PM
Get well soon.

kramnnim
05-04-2014, 08:55 PM
Ugh. Hope recovery goes well and expenses are covered...

benitosan1972
05-04-2014, 11:10 PM
I have close-calls/run-ins/near-death on the daily... Those bike messenger skills & track/crit race handling come in handy... but one day I won't be so lucky... heal up and get back on that saddle! :)

WSBA Jr.
05-05-2014, 12:19 AM
I mentioned this one to my family members Friday evening. I have a county road that connects two suburb towns that I must traverse to get to our standard loop. This road has intermittent paving beside the road, often rutted gravel and rocks right next to the lane. 40 mph speed limit, it is always an opportunity for the big truck boys to rev up the diesels and smoke the riders. I have almost come to expect that, as unpleasant as the close proximity and the obvious aggression is.

This time, the road was clear for the 2 mile run to "safer" roads. It was wet, just one late 60's Chevy 3/4 ton truck heading toward me going the opposite direction. Didn't think anything of it until BLAM!! Definitely not a backfire, way too loud...it was clearly the sound of a large handgun...the truck was long past me when I turned my head. Didn't even have time to be afraid...kept on with my ride, without thinking of what might have been. I assume the gun was fired up in the air, out the passenger window. A different kind of traffic altercation to be sure.

Hope you heal up fast, and get back out there.

dpk501
05-05-2014, 04:03 AM
What size is the Rapha Jacket.....want to sell it? :eek:
Get better, sorry to hear about the accident. Did the driver stop at least?

Thanks for the well wishes.

The driver didn't stop. It's a size large city jacket and I'll see if Rapha could repair it first.

dpk501
05-05-2014, 04:04 AM
I mentioned this one to my family members Friday evening. I have a county road that connects two suburb towns that I must traverse to get to our standard loop. This road has intermittent paving beside the road, often rutted gravel and rocks right next to the lane. 40 mph speed limit, it is always an opportunity for the big truck boys to rev up the diesels and smoke the riders. I have almost come to expect that, as unpleasant as the close proximity and the obvious aggression is.

This time, the road was clear for the 2 mile run to "safer" roads. It was wet, just one late 60's Chevy 3/4 ton truck heading toward me going the opposite direction. Didn't think anything of it until BLAM!! Definitely not a backfire, way too loud...it was clearly the sound of a large handgun...the truck was long past me when I turned my head. Didn't even have time to be afraid...kept on with my ride, without thinking of what might have been. I assume the gun was fired up in the air, out the passenger window. A different kind of traffic altercation to be sure.

Hope you heal up fast, and get back out there.

OMFG! That is horrible!

soulspinner
05-05-2014, 04:07 AM
Get better and get back on....

dpk501
05-05-2014, 04:08 AM
Sorry to read about your injuries. I hope you recover quickly and that the driver will cover your expenses.

I'm curious about the wreck since most of my riding is urban - was the driver on a cellphone or run a stop sign? That's always been the case when I've had a near miss (fortunately, I haven't been clipped on the mean streets of Dallas, although some vatos tried to run me down last year - I jumped the curb to avoid being hit).

It was a two way stop. I had no stop sign. Into the intersection and i see this car not stop and blam.

I was in fluro hemet, orange mavic gloves, and had a flashing light.

They didn't stop.

I'm going to start riding with a go pro camera.

redir
05-05-2014, 07:56 AM
I hope the police are involved and they catch that hit and run coward scumbag. Good luck on your recovery been there twice.

Mr.Pave
05-06-2014, 06:01 PM
I almost got hit twice the other day but I was riding in rush hour,
which I don't normally do. One recurring problem I find with motorists is they underestimate the speed of cyclist and often turn in front of you thinking you tooling along at 10 miles an hour.

Dead Man
05-06-2014, 09:18 PM
I almost got hit twice the other day but I was riding in rush hour,
which I don't normally do. One recurring problem I find with motorists is they underestimate the speed of cyclist and often turn in front of you thinking you tooling along at 10 miles an hour.

Yup. And since most guys ARE tooling along at 10, that's what they're used to. I try to have grace for them, especially when they get all wide-eyed at how fast you nearly smack into their door, but dammit it's hard to not spit out F-bombs when someone nearly breaks your $4000 bike and puts you in l'hôpital.

Keith A
05-06-2014, 10:40 PM
Glad to hear you doing mostly ok and I hope you heal quickly. I've been hit by a car twice as an adult and once as a kid, and all were the fault of the driver. Fortunatly, none of them were too bad, but one crash did destroy my bike :eek:

gaucho753
05-07-2014, 02:45 AM
Ouch. That sounds like a lot of damage. Heal well and hope you have a good dentist. Bruised ribs heal slowly and 5+2 stitches on the lip...no thanks! And chipped teeth to boot. Only original once.

My sister-in-law in L.A. was struck on her bike on the way to the gym, knocked out cold. The driver got away, and someone (perhaps the driver?) stole her bike while she was unconscious on the ground!

+1 to Pave re drivers underestimating speed. I was sideswiped and concussed by a van around age 13 while hustling to a local weekend club ride, perhaps going 25+mph on a slight downhill. A van came up on my left, pulled a little ahead, quickly slowed down (uh-oh), and turned right into me. I remember waking and feeling like I needed to go back to sleep. Blurred visions of my Vitus too far away. Next thing I knew I was on the way to the hospital for some painful wound scrubbing by a charming nurse. At least the driver stopped in my case.

Close calls? My commute changed a few weeks ago from a 2-mile ride through residential streets to an 8-mile ride across more heavily trafficked city streets. Since then, I've been nearly doored 5 times, including once more today. :eek: :mad: Just a matter of time...