PDA

View Full Version : 1983 campy strada crank compatibility with 8 speed

chwupper
05-03-2014, 05:06 PM
New to campagnolo. I recently acquired an early 80s frame (still 126mm rear spacing) that came with campy strada cranks -- 3 in circle on crank arm, so 1983. My question: are these cranks usable with an 8 speed setup? I suspect not, but can someone give me a definite yes or no?

Thanks very much.

buldogge
05-03-2014, 05:09 PM
I use my '85 cranks with an otherwise 10s gruppo by machining the mounting faces of the small ring and bringing the spacing in to match that of 10s ring sets…FWIW.

I don't think you would have any issue with 8s.

-Mark in St. Louis

New to campagnolo. I recently acquired an early 80s frame (still 126mm rear spacing) that came with campy strada cranks -- 3 in circle on crank arm, so 1983. My question: are these cranks usable with an 8 speed setup? I suspect not, but can someone give me a definite yes or no?

Thanks very much.

oldpotatoe
05-03-2014, 05:52 PM

Thanks very much.

Yes they are. 1983, non flutted, SuperRecord, 144 mm bolt diameter. But if you are going to do 8s, 130mm rear spacing, you ought to have it cold set, right, align rear triangle, parallel dropouts.

wallymann
05-03-2014, 06:26 PM
I run campy 9spd cogsets with all my retro Nuovo/Super record equipped bikes. No monkey business with chainring spacing needed, just need to go back to 80s-era shifting expectations (read: slow and deliberate).

oliver1850
05-03-2014, 09:14 PM
What front derailleur do you plan to use? Lots of things will work, but I'd recommend the 1995/6 eight speed models (kind of hard to find) or a 9 speed over the NR/SR or early 1990s eight speed.

wallymann
05-03-2014, 10:05 PM
not having either an upper pivot spring nor b-limit screw means NR/SR rear mech adjustment is very sensitive to chain length and axle fore-aft position in the dropout when using larger cogs. running a 26t cog the upper jockey-pulley cage can foul against the cogset.

chwupper
05-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Thanks for all the answers, guys. I knew I'd get a lot of good info/suggestions.

My cranks are fluted. Is there any effective difference between mine and the non-fluted Super Record cranks that oldpotatoe mentions above?

oldpotatoe
05-04-2014, 06:28 AM
Thanks for all the answers, guys. I knew I'd get a lot of good info/suggestions.

My cranks are fluted. Is there any effective difference between mine and the non-fluted Super Record cranks that oldpotatoe mentions above?

No...Non fluted were last generation SuperRecord..probably came out in the next year or so..last year for SR was 1987...

chwupper
05-07-2014, 11:23 AM
One more follow-up. I've purchased chorus/record 8-speed bits from fellow forum member. Will have the rear triangle spaced later this week.

So now it's bottom bracket time. Frame measures 68mm, is english threaded. It came with one cup campy, one cup sugino, spindle (asymmetric) is campy. I measure the spindle at 114mm. Will this be adequate for the newly spaced frame/larger gearing? If I opt to get a nice shiny new bb (eg, Phil Wood), what length should I aim for?

Thanks in advance.

classtimesailer
05-07-2014, 07:51 PM
I ran 8 speed Shimano wheels on my 82 SR Equipped Medici. No problem.

oldpotatoe
05-08-2014, 06:29 AM
One more follow-up. I've purchased chorus/record 8-speed bits from fellow forum member. Will have the rear triangle spaced later this week.

So now it's bottom bracket time. Frame measures 68mm, is english threaded. It came with one cup campy, one cup sugino, spindle (asymmetric) is campy. I measure the spindle at 114mm. Will this be adequate for the newly spaced frame/larger gearing? If I opt to get a nice shiny new bb (eg, Phil Wood), what length should I aim for?

Thanks in advance.

Should work fine altho it's a shame you don't have 2 Campagnolo cups. Only cold setting the frame 2mm on each side..less around where the small ring and crank arm are.

wallymann
05-08-2014, 08:35 AM
if you want to go with a modern BB w/o breaking the bank, the centaur cartridge BB is available in 115.5mm spindle-length which works great with old-school NR/SR cranks (and the 111mm version is great for C-Record). this is what i do with most of my retro-campy equipped bikes.

for NR/SR you'll need to put a spacer under the drive-side cup to equalize the lateral adjustment and get small-ring clearance to the chainstay -- the exact spacer width depends on the particulars of your frame and the wear of the crank's tapers. i seem to end up with a 2-3mm spacer.

Thanks in advance.