PDA

View Full Version : De Rosa-philes, help me understand the differences

Nags&Ducs
05-03-2014, 01:25 AM
Between a Primato, Professional, and a Diamant. Is there much of a difference in quality, build or ride-wise? I know the Diamant had the webbed bottom bracket. None of the others did? I read some here say that all Primatos were made of EL OS. Is that really true? Were Professionals and Diamants built with a variety of tube sets?

oldpotatoe
05-03-2014, 06:35 AM
Between a Primato, Professional, and a Diamant. Is there much of a difference in quality, build or ride-wise? I know the Diamant had the webbed bottom bracket. None of the others did? I read some here say that all Primatos were made of EL OS. Is that really true? Were Professionals and Diamants built with a variety of tube sets?

Primato was in a family of steel frames that included the Giro and also San Remo. Giro was Neuron tubing, San Remo had Brain tubing and Primato was EL-OS..I have owned all three, early to mid 90s..all had the webbed BB shell and 'Diamante', diamond shaped chainstays. Professional was a much older, smaller tubed frameset, with a standard, not webbed BB shell..SLX tubing..

Never heard of a 'Diamant' model.

Nags&Ducs
05-03-2014, 08:47 AM
Primato was in a family of steel frames that included the Giro and also San Remo. Giro was Neuron tubing, San Remo had Brain tubing and Primato was EL-OS..I have owned all three, early to mid 90s..all had the webbed BB shell and 'Diamante', diamond shaped chainstays. Professional was a much older, smaller tubed frameset, with a standard, not webbed BB shell..SLX tubing..

Never heard of a 'Diamant' model.

Thanks Pete. There most likely wasn't a Diamant model. I thought I read some folks refer to a De Rosa as a Diamant but they probably were mistaken too.

So if someone has a "Professional" but it has EL OS, then more than likely it is a Primato? Should it say Primato on the frame?

roydyates
05-03-2014, 01:07 PM
What about the difference between Primato and Neo Primato? Is the original more desirable in some way?

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 01:27 PM
The originals - the Primatos - are more desirable. The neos were genius and I think lack the webbed shell. The most desired Primatos are usually the flat crown, webbed shell models with chromed head lugs (generally De Rosa didn't use much chrome).

I have seen a De a Rosa labeled diamanté as a model - it seemed identical to a primato.

zmudshark
05-03-2014, 01:38 PM
Aaron, I respectfully disagree on the chromed lug versions being more desirable.

I think the chrome was a concession to style, and if Ugo had his way, there would be no chrome whatsoever on the frame/fork. ;)

cbresciani
05-03-2014, 01:54 PM
I think I would agree with Z' but I do like the looks of the chrome head tube lugs!

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 02:12 PM
Aaron, I respectfully disagree on the chromed lug versions being more desirable.

I think the chrome was a concession to style, and if Ugo had his way, there would be no chrome whatsoever on the frame/fork. ;)

Considering that I have my Primato because of you, I will concede the point ;)

I definitely agree that any time De rosa used chrome, it was a concession. I think that makes the chrome more desired by those who demand the concession.

sante pollastri
05-03-2014, 02:31 PM
diamante and primato has got different seat stays,and the flat crown is not distintictive of the primato model.I got a diamante in tsx tubes with flat fork crown,and another one in slx new with normal crown.

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 02:36 PM
No one said flat crowns were distinctive of the Primato model, or exclusive of it. I'd like to know more about the Diamanté - do you have photos of the seat stays? Was it a euro model? I've seen one in my life. EL OS?

zmudshark
05-03-2014, 02:38 PM
I think I would agree with Z' but I do like the looks of the chrome head tube lugs!Chris, we need to ride before I leave PHX. You still have Friday's off?

sante pollastri
05-03-2014, 02:57 PM
are the classic design,cutted at the seat post lug,and diamond shape chainstays

buldogge
05-03-2014, 05:16 PM
This appears to be the 80's frames we commonly refer to as "Professionals" in the US.

They had Diamante chainstays across a certain years span…

i.e. My '85 has Diamante stays but no microfusion BB shell, and still has a cs bridge.

-Mark in St. Louis

are the classic design,cutted at the seat post lug,and diamond shape chainstays

cbresciani
05-03-2014, 05:30 PM
Chris, we need to ride before I leave PHX. You still have Friday's off?

Yes I do, and that would be great!

Steelman
05-03-2014, 07:18 PM
The originals - the Primatos - are more desirable. The neos were genius and I think lack the webbed shell. The most desired Primatos are usually the flat crown, webbed shell models with chromed head lugs (generally De Rosa didn't use much chrome).

I have seen a De a Rosa labeled diamanté as a model - it seemed identical to a primato.

Correct, from what I have seen. Mine was a 1996 model, the fork was unicrown. The only chrome was on the dropouts, one chainstay, and the lower legs of the fork.

Agree with you on which are most desirable.

gomango
05-03-2014, 07:43 PM
While we are on the De Rosa topic, I rode a recent vintage Corum two weeks ago before my fender bender.

Really, it could be the dream De Rosa for me.

If anyone has one on a hook and is not planning on imminent use, please let me me know.

A 58 cm tt would be preferred. :)

57 in a pinch.

vav
05-03-2014, 07:48 PM
This one has been on CL for a while now: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/4452005447.html

http://images.craigslist.org/00j0j_cEQulj7iJ0S_600x450.jpg

thwart
05-03-2014, 07:49 PM
Well, the newest Neo's (somehow that doesn't sound right… :rolleyes:) use Dedacciai Zero Uno tubing and still have some vestigial webs at the bottom bracket.

And the Neo I owned before my current one (which was ~2006 vintage) had a flat fork crown.

Gratuitous pic:

gomango
05-03-2014, 08:21 PM
Well, the newest Neo's (somehow that doesn't sound right… :rolleyes:) use Dedacciai Zero Uno tubing and still have some vestigial webs at the bottom bracket.

And the Neo I owned before my current one (which was ~2006 vintage) had a flat fork crown.

Gratuitous pic:

A beauty!

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 09:27 PM
A beauty!

+1 - great bike thwart.

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 09:30 PM
This appears to be the 80's frames we commonly refer to as "Professionals" in the US.

They had Diamante chainstays across a certain years span…

i.e. My '85 has Diamante stays but no microfusion BB shell, and still has a cs bridge.

-Mark in St. Louis

+1 Mark - that looks like a professional, giro, whatever to me, nor does it say Diamanté. Maybe he just meant it as the seatstay and cluster example.

Nags&Ducs
05-03-2014, 09:34 PM
This one has been on CL for a while now: http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/bik/4452005447.html

Wow, no one snatched that up yet?? Seems like a smoking deal!

Nags&Ducs
05-03-2014, 09:37 PM
+1 - great bike thwart.

Concur!!! Thwart's Neo P is one of the reasons I continue to want a new De Rosa steel.

Aaron O
05-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Lower range campy - on Craigslist. I'm not surprised it's sitting.

gomango
05-03-2014, 09:47 PM
Concur!!! Thwart's Neo P is one of the reasons I continue to want a new De Rosa steel.

After riding the Corum, I really feel I could could be more than happy with a new De Rosa.

I'd lose some of that classy De Rosa vintage steel aesthetic, but the ride is very smooth and built for all day comfort. It's a very nice climber and was rock solid on descents.

Besides, I think the white Corum frameset is hot and the blue 2007 I rode is also drop dead gorgeous.

gomango
05-03-2014, 09:49 PM
Lower range campy - on Craigslist. I'm not surprised it's sitting.

Agreed, but I am still wondering if the bicycle has issues. It has been outed on at least two forums and yet it sits.

Nags&Ducs
05-03-2014, 10:03 PM
After riding the Corum, I really feel I could could be more than happy with a new De Rosa.

I'd lose some of that classy De Rosa vintage steel aesthetic, but the ride is very smooth and built for all day comfort. It's a very nice climber and was rock solid on descents.

Besides, I think the white Corum frameset is hot and the blue 2007 I rode is also drop dead gorgeous.

What's up G? I test rode a Corum a decade ago. I also test rode a Colnago Dream (full aluminum) at the time. The test ride was about a mile, mile & a half loop. I rode both bikes twice back to back. I really liked the Corum better between the two. A shop in Westlake Village, CA was dropping the De Rosa line from their inventory and had a Chorus 10 equipped Corum for $2600! I should have jumped on it. It was a sweet looking and riding bike.

A Corum is a no compromise kind of bike IMHO. The great feel of steel, yet light enough to compete against Alum and Ti. Hmmm, maybe I should try to find one of these bad boys!?!? I too love the white with blue panel Corum. Absolutely hawt!!!

gomango
05-03-2014, 10:09 PM
What's up G? I test rode a Corum a decade ago. I also test rode a Colnago Dream (full aluminum) at the time. The test ride was about a mile, mile & a half loop. I rode both bikes twice back to back. I really liked the Corum better between the two. A shop in Westlake Village, CA was dropping the De Rosa line from their inventory and had a Chorus 10 equipped Corum for $2600! I should have jumped on it. It was a sweet looking and riding bike.

A Corum is a no compromise kind of bike IMHO. The great feel of steel, yet light enough to compete against Alum and Ti. Hmmm, maybe I should try to find one of these bad boys!?!? I too love the white with blue panel Corum. Absolutely hawt!!!

Great, other than a recent wipe out on a trail. I'll survive though. :)

Wiggle is tempting us with a brand new white Corum frameset for only $1,700 or so. That's a pretty fine offer.

professerr
05-03-2014, 10:39 PM
I think that makes the chrome more desired by those who demand the concession.

I'm curious why De Rosa wouldn't like chrome and why they often come with less chrome generally. Not a criticism -- I have one with no chrome except the chain stay and I like the look very much.

mccx
05-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Agreed, but I am still wondering if the bicycle has issues. It has been outed on at least two forums and yet it sits.

I suspect it might be a respray. The lack of inset contrast paint on the seatstay lugs and fork crown and the position of the DeRosa decal on the seat tube don't look right to me.

Not that having been repainted necessarily disqualifies it from being a nice bike, but I suspect it would have a moderate-to-significant effect on price for classic Italian frames.

Aaron O
05-04-2014, 01:27 AM
I'm curious why De Rosa wouldn't like chrome and why they often come with less chrome generally. Not a criticism -- I have one with no chrome except the chain stay and I like the look very much.

There are quite a few reasons not to like chrome. It does weaken the steel. It's an extra cost/work. It could be aesthetic. It's much harder to address chrome damage. It has a negative environmental impact - though I'm not sure how aware they were about that.

LouDeeter
05-04-2014, 10:35 AM
This summary of models with approximate years and tubesets used might help. Personally, I like the frames with the flat fork crowns, but all are nice bikes.

Models:
Professional 84 SL
Professional 85-94 SLX
35th Anniversary 88 SLX
Chorus 90 Columbus
EL/OS 91-96 EL Oversized
TSX 92-94 TSX
Nuovo Classico 92-94 TSX
Primato 93-97 EL OS
Heritage Edition-1957 93-96 SL
Heritage Edition-1965 93-96 SL
Heritage Edition-1974 93-96 SL
Titanio 93-96 Titanium
Giro Brain OS 94 EL OS
Giro Neuron OS 94-97 Columbus Neuron
San Remo 96-97 Columbus Brain
Neo Pro 97 Genius

texbike
05-04-2014, 10:53 AM
It has a negative environmental impact - though I'm not sure how aware they were about that.

Plus De Rosa seems to really suck at chrome as well! :) Both of the De Rosas that I've had have had terrible chroming - worse than your typical Italian marquee.

Texbike

professerr
05-04-2014, 10:54 AM

LouDeeter
05-04-2014, 12:55 PM
I suspect the ELOS and the Primato were virtually identical. Some sites where I got this information may have listed the model as ELOS and others as the actual Model Primato. Most of my sources were either magazines or the manufacturers brochures. I've got this information for many, many other makes and models in the Used Bike Guide that I compiled. I stopped researching it about 1998, although I do add framebuilders that I don't have when I see them. I just don't do the models anymore after carbon, ti, and aluminum took over from lugged steel.

sante pollastri
05-04-2014, 01:58 PM
the white pearl one is a tsx with diamond shaped chainstays
the blue is a professional slx
the red is a slx new with diamond shaped chainstays

Aaron O
05-04-2014, 02:03 PM
I suspect the ELOS and the Primato were virtually identical. Some sites where I got this information may have listed the model as ELOS and others as the actual Model Primato. Most of my sources were either magazines or the manufacturers brochures. I've got this information for many, many other makes and models in the Used Bike Guide that I compiled. I stopped researching it about 1998, although I do add framebuilders that I don't have when I see them. I just don't do the models anymore after carbon, ti, and aluminum took over from lugged steel.

Quick correction - the 35th was 1988. There was a predecessor called the signature in 87'. I think that 94' was the first year of the titanio, though could be mistaken. And often am!

To texts point - the chrome on my two De Rosas seems typical Italian, if not a bit nicer, but I have no doubt he's correct. Since he chromed infrequently, it was likely outsourced. Cinelli seems to have the best chrome if the Italians.

maj
05-04-2014, 02:16 PM

Wondering if the "EL/OS" was just sold as a frame and the "Primato" was the full model built on the EL/OS frame.

Aaron O
05-04-2014, 02:18 PM

There might be a language barrier here Sante. I don't believe any of these three are diamanté model De Rosas. I see two professionals and a nuovo Classico. Some have diamanté stays. The question is regarding a model named diamanté.

I have seen one de rosa with diamanté model decals - it looked like a Primato. It is possible it was a random decal someone tossed on.

Aaron O
05-04-2014, 02:20 PM

Wondering if the "EL/OS" was just sold as a frame and the "Primato" was the full model built on the EL/OS frame.

I suspect it is regional marketing. On another thread on the same topic, polyglot discussed Primato translating to ape in some countries - and de rosa not using that model name.

maj
05-04-2014, 02:36 PM
primato = ape :)

added: Any opinions on the accuracy of the bikepedia data? They don't list an EL/OS model. The specs were right on for my '96 Primato.

http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/BikeSpecs.aspx?Year=1996&Brand=De+Rosa&Model=Primato&Type=bike

sante pollastri
05-04-2014, 02:43 PM
There might be a language barrier here Sante. I don't believe any of these three are diamanté model De Rosas. I see two professionals and a nuovo Classico. Some have diamanté stays. The question is regarding a model named diamanté.

I have seen one de rosa with diamanté model decals - it looked like a Primato. It is possible it was a random decal someone tossed on.

here in Italy we name diamante the models with diamond chainstays,with or without the label on the chainstays.
so,the correct names for the blue is professioanl slx;the red is slx diamante and the white is tsx diamante exactly the same named nuovo classico diamante,with flat crown.

sante pollastri
05-04-2014, 02:51 PM
e.g,this is a nuovo classico in tsx tubing,we name it nuovo classico diamante also if there is not a "diamante" label.
http://fyxomatosis.tumblr.com/page/4#2823877478

Aaron O
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
Got it - that's probably generating confusion over the model.

zmudshark
05-04-2014, 05:54 PM
Pretty sure all De Rosa's had Diamante chain stays until 1988. They went away for a few years and came back in the 1990's.

soulspinner
05-05-2014, 04:12 AM
e.g,this is a nuovo classico in tsx tubing,we name it nuovo classico diamante also if there is not a "diamante" label.
http://fyxomatosis.tumblr.com/page/4#2823877478

Wow. Thanks for helping us out.........

sante pollastri
05-05-2014, 06:07 AM
Wow. Thanks for helping us out.........

you are welcome........................................... .

El Chaba
05-05-2014, 06:29 AM
The "EL-OS" was only made for about a year and was tig welded, had Columbus EL-OS tubing and a unicrown fork. It was replaced by the more traditionally constructed Primato...

54ny77
05-05-2014, 07:09 AM
The flat fork crown seems to be the hallmark for the marque.

I lusted after De Rosa's back in the day. Priced and made out of unobtanium.

At the time, I settled for more plebian Colnago steel....;)

(Actually that's no joke; it was something like 1/3 the price or thereabouts.)

Aaron O
05-05-2014, 07:38 AM
The flat fork crown seems to be the hallmark for the marque.

I lusted after De Rosa's back in the day. Priced and made out of unobtanium.

At the time, I settled for more plebian Colnago steel....;)

(Actually that's no joke; it was something like 1/3 the price or thereabouts.)

EL OS and MAX were EXPENSIVE - double the price of SLX +. Do you remember how much quality ti was?

54ny77
05-05-2014, 07:54 AM
Yes, Merlin was on another price planet at the time.

EL OS and MAX were EXPENSIVE - double the price of SLX +. Do you remember how much quality ti was?

professerr
05-11-2014, 12:48 AM

Nags&Ducs
05-11-2014, 05:06 AM
Ok, experts, what's this De Rosa, made of EL-OS, no Primato sticker, and a sloped crown fork: http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Rosa-Professional-EL-OS-55-square-Campagnolo-Record-10-/171310553291?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item27e2e798cb

Is it basically the same as "real" (i.e. labeled) Primato?

Seeing as this is my size, my question is not purely acedemic.

Hey professor, lay off! She's mine!! :)

Actually this is one of the 3 that I'm looking at. But it doesn't have diamanté chain stays, which is something I want in my future De Rosa steelie. Do you think this one is worth $2100? IMO, it's a decent deal. Not a great deal, but a decent one.

Aaron O
05-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Hey professor, lay off! She's mine!! :)

Actually this is one of the 3 that I'm looking at. But it doesn't have diamanté chain stays, which is something I want in my future De Rosa steelie. Do you think this one is worth $2100? IMO, it's a decent deal. Not a great deal, but a decent one.
At first I thought pass...but it does have some nice parts. It's not a steal...I think it's 400 too high...but it's not terrible with 10sp record.

Nags&Ducs
05-11-2014, 08:13 AM
At first I thought pass...but it does have some nice parts. It's not a steal...I think it's 400 too high...but it's not terrible with 10sp record.

I agree. At $1700, it would be a very good deal. At $2100, it's not a bad deal. Heck, I think if I could have gotten it for $1700, I would have pulled the trigger, even though it doesn't have diamanté CS.

gomango
05-11-2014, 08:43 AM
I agree. At $1700, it would be a very good deal. At $2100, it's not a bad deal. Heck, I think if I could have gotten it for $1700, I would have pulled the trigger, even though it doesn't have diamanté CS.

Don't settle.

Wait it out, you'll find what you want.

I've got my eye out for one in your size.

Btw My Giro d Italia that I sold last fall was made from ELOS. It had the Diamante chainstays and was a very nice bicycle. I had 10 speed Chorus on it with a Record/Ambrosio wheelset. I certainly wouldn't have sold it for less than the $2,100 pricepoint mentioned here on that other De Rosa.

LouDeeter
05-11-2014, 08:58 AM
Unless picking it up, you have to consider it is $2200 given the $100 shipping fee on top of the $2100 BIN price. I can sell a 10 speed Record group with a set of wheels (not like the ones on the Derosa, but good wheels) for $800. Add $75-100 for the CK headset, something for the saddle, bar, stem and pedals, and you'll still be paying $1200 for the frame/fork alone, which I believe is too high. I agree, $400 lower is more like it, but that really depends on the condition of the parts.

Aaron O
05-11-2014, 12:46 PM
Gmg - I'd wager yours was likely in nicer shape. Check out the chrome fork crown.

professerr
05-11-2014, 01:19 PM

zmudshark
05-11-2014, 01:28 PM
To me, a De Rosa without a flat fork crown just doesn't cut it. To each his own, though. I'm sure they ride almost as nice.

gomango
05-11-2014, 02:09 PM
Gmg - I'd wager yours was likely in nicer shape. Check out the chrome fork crown.

My Giro was spotless.

It took me a while to find one that nice.

Aaron O
05-11-2014, 03:17 PM
My Giro was spotless.

It took me a while to find one that nice.
Exactly. This one is not.

texbike
05-11-2014, 04:42 PM
Ok, experts, what's this De Rosa, made of EL-OS, no Primato sticker, and a sloped crown fork: http://www.ebay.com/itm/De-Rosa-Professional-EL-OS-55-square-Campagnolo-Record-10-/171310553291?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item27e2e798cb

Is it basically the same as "real" (i.e. labeled) Primato?

I think that this is a repainted Primato without the proper decal set.

To me, a De Rosa without a flat fork crown just doesn't cut it.

EXACTLY! :)

Texbike

Nags&Ducs
05-11-2014, 05:05 PM

Now you guys got me questioning it too!! The paint looks too new, too good. I'll be asking the seller for the SN.

Aaron O
05-11-2014, 05:34 PM

EXACTLY! :)

Texbike

I thought that at first too - and I'm not convinced that fork is original. I also thought it could be a euro model as suggested by polyglot - a Primato not labeled as such. The paint patina doesn't match the fork, that's for sure.

Also agree on flat crown.

texbike
05-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Now you guys got me questioning it too!! The paint looks too new, too good. I'll be asking the seller for the SN.

My personal sample size is small, but both of the De Rosas that I've owned have had terrible paint. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this one has been refinished.

Texbike

zmudshark
05-11-2014, 06:23 PM

The serial # is pretty much useless.

Mike V
05-11-2014, 06:28 PM
The headset is upside down on the reprinted one.

zmudshark
05-11-2014, 06:57 PM
The headset is upside down on the reprinted one.Yes, it is.

zmudshark
05-11-2014, 08:13 PM
My personal sample size is small, but both of the De Rosas that I've owned have had terrible paint. It wouldn't surprise me at all if this one has been refinished.

Texbike

Tex, mine have all had really good paint, by Italian standards.

The NOS Primato I bought years ago was exceptional. I think it was one of the last ones.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117289174440516737292/Primato

Nags&Ducs
05-11-2014, 10:44 PM
I caught that too and pointed that out to the seller.

sante pollastri
05-12-2014, 01:57 AM

Texbike

it's the first time I hear something like this.

oldpotatoe
05-12-2014, 06:25 AM

The NOS Primato I bought years ago was exceptional. I think it was one of the last ones.

https://picasaweb.google.com/117289174440516737292/Primato

I owned 3 of that era, Primato, Giro and San Remo..the San Remo had 'SanRemo' painted on, unususal, but the paint was good, durable. My Ciocc, bought in 1985, the decals were not under clearcoat..first ride in the rain and they came off..plus the one on the headtube was crooked when I bought it.

LouDeeter
05-12-2014, 07:02 AM
If bad paint comment is aimed at paint that chips easily, I've never seen that on a Derosa. From my experience, Italian paint jobs tend to be one color with perhaps some chrome masking. The finish may not be as glossy and smooth as some of the top U.S. painters, but I've never had a big problem with the finish chipping. On the other hand, the few Italian frames I've had that had two color (non-fade) paint tended to not have the most precise masking. The exception may be that many Italian frames were fully chromed before painting and this can create an adherence issue for the paint if the chrome isn't prepped properly.

texbike
05-12-2014, 07:12 AM

it's the first time I hear something like this.

If bad paint comment is aimed at paint that chips easily, I've never seen that on a Derosa. From my experience, Italian paint jobs tend to be one color with perhaps some chrome masking. The finish may not be as glossy and smooth as some of the top U.S. painters, but I've never had a big problem with the finish chipping. On the other hand, the few Italian frames I've had that had two color (non-fade) paint tended to not have the most precise masking. The exception may be that many Italian frames were fully chromed before painting and this can create an adherence issue for the paint if the chrome isn't prepped properly.

Yep, the paint on both (a mid 80s Professional that I still have and a mid 90s Molteni Re-Issue that has been passed along) both left a lot to be desired. However, I'm not sure that the paint is/was any worse than their contemporaries. Both bikes had a bit of chipping but the reference was more along the lines of debris in the paint, inconsistent application, etc. I felt that the chrome left a bit to be desired as well as both had flaking issues on both the fork crown and chainstays.

This isn't a condemnation of the brand by any means. I personally accepted it for what it was - just a character flaw that was part of the Italian mystique.

Texbike

AgilisMerlin
05-12-2014, 07:30 AM
DsElRxOSA - framesets, muy bue/no :eek:

http://backend.steel-vintage.com/manufacturers/images/logos/DeRosa.jpg

Nags&Ducs
05-28-2014, 05:27 PM

I thought that at first too - and I'm not convinced that fork is original. I also thought it could be a euro model as suggested by polyglot - a Primato not labeled as such. The paint patina doesn't match the fork, that's for sure.

Dredging my own thread! It needs to be revived. :banana:

I agree that this is probably repainted. I've queried the seller a couple times, and got no response. Obviously, he's avoiding the question. The other odd thing about this is that it has plain round chain stays. I thought it was the consensus here that all Primatos has diamanté stays? Because of all this, this one is no longer in consideration.

The Faema Neo P Genius is out too since the seller raised the BIN price from $1276 to close to $1600.

The white mica Primato EL OS that is owned by a forumite was my second fave of the 3 anyways, and now it's at the top of the list.

The latest that I've come across on ebay is in Bolzano, Italy and is a yellow Giro d'Italia in Neuron. It's got diamanté stays, internal routing, but has a chrome unicrown sloping fork. Seller thinks it's OEM. Complete bike with Campy triple.

Anyone here have opinions on the Gd'I compared to an ELOS Primato? Sorry I keep asking these questions. :)

gomango
05-28-2014, 07:02 PM
I just sold my Giro 'd Italia last fall.

Lovely bicycle with a sublime ride. Interestingly enough, my wife's niece purchased mine from a teammate in Bolzano.

Also, mine was a repainted ELOS frameset. It was spot on perfect when I let it go.

Fwiw A white mica Primato is a bicycle I would sell a bike or two to acquire if the right one came along. Seriously, work a deal on the Primato and you'll be all set.

I agree that this is probably repainted. I've queried the seller a couple times, and got no response. Obviously, he's avoiding the question. The other odd thing about this is that it has plain round chain stays. I thought it was the consensus here that all Primatos has diamanté stays? Because of all this, this one is no longer in consideration.

The Faema Neo P Genius is out too since the seller raised the BIN price from $1276 to close to $1600.

The white mica Primato EL OS that is owned by a forumite was my second fave of the 3 anyways, and now it's at the top of the list.

The latest that I've come across on ebay is in Bolzano, Italy and is a yellow Giro d'Italia in Neuron. It's got diamanté stays, internal routing, but has a chrome unicrown sloping fork. Seller thinks it's OEM. Complete bike with Campy triple.

Anyone here have opinions on the Gd'I compared to an ELOS Primato? Sorry I keep asking these questions. :)

oldpotatoe
05-29-2014, 07:03 AM

I have owned both..same lugset, fork and diamante CS..rode identically to me. I have had 2 bikes with neuron tubeset..really like the internal, tube orientation, differing butt, thing..but I couldn't tell them apart.

gomango
05-29-2014, 08:41 AM
I have owned both..same lugset, fork and diamante CS..rode identically to me. I have had 2 bikes with neuron tubeset..really like the internal, tube orientation, differing butt, thing..but I couldn't tell them apart.

Agreed.

I have a riding buddy that swore he could tell the difference between those two tubesets, but I couldn't.

I still have two ELOS framed bicycles here though and they are well worth seeking out.

But what do I know, I still like riding my older SL/SP framed Kvale more than just about anything.