PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep in your saddle bag?

schwa86
05-02-2014, 04:05 PM
Let me say at the outset that I am not a weight weenie. I ride with a somewhat changing group, some of who take roadside repairs more seriously than others. In addition to tire/tube changing stuff and a compact tool-set on the more extensive side (eg one of the Park ones with the chain tool for example), I started to include a spare KMC chain link after my chain broke several years ago (which I ended up using last fall when a buddy's chain broke) and a little roll of duct tape (because you can fix anything with duct tape, but which I have only actually used for a tire gash).

Last weekend, one of my friend's cleats started to come off (screw fell out), prompting me to think that throwing a cleat screw or two in would make sense.

Anything else? -- I suspect both the practical and humorous views of this esteemed group will be useful. A beer keg does not fit in my saddle bag -- just FYI.

terry
05-02-2014, 04:21 PM
In 40 yrs of riding all I carry is: 1 tubular, 1 plastic tire iron, 1 co2 inflator and 2 co2's-wrapped in a sock and strapped to my saddle with on old toe strap. Never needed any tools. Maybe I've been lucky but I do my own wrenching and I stay on top of it.

donevwil
05-02-2014, 04:24 PM
- 2 tubes
- 2 Airace aluminum tire levers (Grand Bois Cypres on tubless ready rims, ugh)
- Park tiny instant adhesive patch kit
- Tire boot (cut from an old Mr Tuffy)
- Cook Bros small multi tool (always used by someone else or on anothers bike)
- 1 Gu for emergency (usually when my wife forgets hers)
- 2 electrolyte tablets + 2 ibuprofen + 2 salt tablets in a tiny pill zip-lock
- 1 baby (tooches) wipe

jmoore
05-02-2014, 04:37 PM
saddlebag = lol

soulrun jersey pocket wallet and a Kuzette Repair Kit is all you need

what next, a visor on a road helmet? :no:

regularguy412
05-02-2014, 04:41 PM
2 Tubes
2 Tire levers
2 CO2 cartridges
1 ID Card w/ name and address

I also keep a $10 bill folded up and tucked under one of my brake hoods. I've used it as actual 'money' and as a tire boot when I've not had an empty gel pack to use as a boot.

Mike in AR:beer:

ptourkin
05-02-2014, 04:45 PM
saddlebag = lol

I really tried the no bag thing, but when you're not a Clydesdale and are riding 80 plus miles, the jersey pocket real estate becomes scarce when you have an inflator, a tube, an iron, and a C02, which is what I now have in my SeatSleev (with an extra co2 and multitool. I need the jersey pocket room for nutrition.

MattTuck
05-02-2014, 04:53 PM
I carry a couple tire levers (plastic), a tube, co2 inflator and 2 co2 cartridges (in addition to lezyne pump on my frame), topeak alien multitool, nitrile gloves, patch kit, $20 bill.

pinkshogun
05-02-2014, 05:19 PM
i carry my wallet jacked with money in case i see a nice bike for sale on yard sale day.

shovelhd
05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Dope.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 05:52 PM
In 40 yrs of riding all I carry is: 1 tubular, 1 plastic tire iron, 1 co2 inflator and 2 co2's-wrapped in a sock and strapped to my saddle with on old toe strap. Never needed any tools. Maybe I've been lucky but I do my own wrenching and I stay on top of it.

Samo, except no CO2 cuz I got a pump and $5.

Steve in SLO
05-02-2014, 05:57 PM
I carry one spare tube, a Lezyne mini pump, a patch kit, two tire irons and a spare chain snap link all tucked into a small Specialized (gasp) seatbag (double gasp).
I sometimes carry a little microtool in my jersey pocket, but only about half the time.

OtayBW
05-02-2014, 06:20 PM
I really tried the no bag thing, but when you're not a Clydesdale and are riding 80 plus miles, the jersey pocket real estate becomes scarce when you have an inflator, a tube, an iron, and a C02, which is what I now have in my SeatSleev (with an extra co2 and multitool. I need the jersey pocket room for nutrition.
Agree completely. For me, real estate on the body is just too valuable on long rides to waste on tools.
In an Arundel Tubi, I carry:

2 tubes,
small patch kit,
2 tire flips,
small CO2 nozzle + 2 cartidges,
thumb-size multi-tool,
tiny piece of beeswax (that's right...),
ID.

That'll get me home.

Cicli
05-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Tube, patch kit, multi tool, kmc link.

I have 20.00 and a piece of a tyvek bag for a boot inside one bar plug.
Mini pump in jersey pocket.

pavel
05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Blood bag

DerekB
05-02-2014, 06:45 PM
Alright OtayBW I'll bite.
What's the beeswax for?

carpediemracing
05-02-2014, 07:05 PM
http://sprinterdellacasa.blogspot.com/2012/09/how-to-what-to-carry-on-training-ride.html

There's an extra box in the picture below. I've also taped the two other boxes together to make one box. And my new phone is a bit bigger than the one it replaced.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Oh3Zvt4SiaQ/UGOcU1f22kI/AAAAAAAAEbE/GbUcpMBHAEw/s800/DSC_0782.JPG

I seem to go in cycles, carry a lot, it reduces over a number of years, then about 10 years later I have occasion to use something that was edited out of my bag. Then I go back to a full supply of stuff. Currently I'm in the "full supply of stuff" mode, have been since a couple years ago.

*edit I've also eaten the granola bar. I usually carry a gel now.

parris
05-02-2014, 07:11 PM
Tube, patch kit, inflator, 2co2 cartridges, money, photo id, 4,5,6 mm allen wrenches, small thin knife.

Tony T
05-02-2014, 07:18 PM
I seem to go in cycles, carry a lot, it reduces over a number of years, …

4 Tire levers? (I carry 2, in case one breaks)
(also good idea to carry a patch kit, even with 2 tubes)

professerr
05-02-2014, 07:27 PM
1 tube, 1 patch kit, 2 plastic tire irons, 10 dollars. All in a small plastic bag, cinched onto my saddle rails with a toe strap. Frame pump runs along the seat stay.

On truly epic rides, I'll grab a mini tool. Otherwise just my cell.

Fatty
05-02-2014, 07:32 PM
saddlebag = lol

Well I hate to break it to you,,,

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1128382&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Giro%20Pneumo%20Road%20Helmet%20Wh/Sil%20Large&CAWELAID=1472177617&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=1630495320&cadevice=c

R3awak3n
05-02-2014, 07:57 PM
saddle roll:

Tube, tire lever, multi tool and a couple of latex gloves.

On jersey:

Mini pump, another tube, cash/credit card/id and phone, gu.

Tony T
05-02-2014, 08:31 PM
…and your AAA card (you can d/l in the AAA App) if you're in So.NE
https://www.southernnewengland.aaa.com/community/press-releases-other/aaa-welcomes-bike-safety-month-in-may-with-new-member-benefit-roadside-assistance-for-bicycles

Black Dog
05-02-2014, 09:13 PM
Mini tool (with chain breaker), tube, tire boot, park patches, $20, quick link, one tire lever, 2 Advil, 2 Benadryl. Small lezyne pump.

SpokeValley
05-03-2014, 12:02 AM
I was a Boy Scout leader for a long time so maybe I carry too much, but...

Saddle bag:
1 tube
2 CO2 cylinders
Inflator
1 park tire iron
park multi tool with chain tool (used it twice, not for my bike though.)
1 KMC 11S quick link (for me);
Tire boot from an old tire

In the jersey:
Patch kit with $20
Baggie for phone with copies of driver's license and insurance card;
Small and flat first aid kit that I got for free at the bike swap;
Chapstick
Clif or some kind of bar, just in case. Maybe some gels.

And of course, my Road ID on my wrist. Not a commercial...just a good thing from a very cool company. (BTW, if you're on the committee organizing a cycling event, they offer lots of free stuff...you just pay the shipping.)

carpediemracing
05-03-2014, 06:04 AM
4 Tire levers? (I carry 2, in case one breaks)
(also good idea to carry a patch kit, even with 2 tubes)

It's a bit redundant, yes. I prefer 2 levers. The black one has a metal core (screwdriver "base"). I lost its mate, they used to snap together. I might have broken it.

The single blue one I like also, able to get under tight clinchers. I seemed to have lost the others, probably broke them.

The wide ones are the latest I bought, not keen on them, too thick.

I've never been successful with an on-the-road patch job and only rarely have I gotten one to work off the bike. Therefore no patch kit. I know my limitations :) On long rides (more than my typical hour loop) I'll carry a 3rd tube.

I flatted once halfway into my hour loop. It wouldn't have been a big deal except I had given myself just 10 minutes to shower and pick up Junior. I spent most of the 10 minutes fixing the flat, then worried about a second flat etc while I rode as hard as possible home. I made it to pick up Junior but now I prefer to ride the trainer if I have to go pick him up, regardless of the weather.

I carry a valve extender on the bike. I forgot about that. I used to wrap electrical tape around the seat post for "just in case" but stopped doing that at some point. There's a redundant velcro strap on the frame too, for "just in case". The last two items stay on the bike all the time, even in races, else I'll lose them.

zap
05-03-2014, 06:17 AM

The ctr rear pocket carries all I need tire &tool wise. Other 2 pockets are plenty for what I need to eat up to 100 hilly miles. But I have to stop to pick up water so can pick up more food if needed or have craving for some chocolate.

jmoore
05-03-2014, 02:06 PM
Well I hate to break it to you,,,

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/ProductDisplay?storeId=10052&langId=-1&catalogId=10551&productId=1128382&utm_source=Google_Product_Search&utm_medium=pla&utm_campaign=datafeed&cm_mmc=Google_Product_Search-_-PLA-_-Datafeed-_-Giro%20Pneumo%20Road%20Helmet%20Wh/Sil%20Large&CAWELAID=1472177617&CAGPSPN=pla&catargetid=1630495320&cadevice=c

They also put reflectors and dork discs in wheels. Doesn't mean your are supposed to use them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk now Free ('http://tapatalk.com/m?id=10')

PaMtbRider
05-03-2014, 02:56 PM
Many of you mention $5, $10, $20 bills. I always ride with my wallet in my jersey pocket to have my I.D. plus some cash. Do most of you not ride with your wallet?

Tony T
05-03-2014, 03:14 PM
I always ride with my wallet in my jersey pocket to have my I.D. plus some cash. Do most of you not ride with your wallet?

No wallet, but I do have a RoadID :)

Willy
05-03-2014, 03:24 PM
I now carry road I'd. Years ago, I zeroxed my driver's license and my insurance card and them laminated them in plastic and also carry that around. Figured if I was in an accident and they needed Id, the cops wouldn't go after me for a fake id.

Tony T
05-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Good idea, but instead of carrying a copy, I think I'll scan my Lic and put the jpg on my phone

pitonpat
05-03-2014, 07:57 PM
Tube, tire irons, patch kit, CO2 inflator & cyclinder, 20 bucks, multi tool, granola bar, latex gloves (pilfered from the emergency room in the aftermath of my last crash), and reading glasses-can't fix a flat without 'em!

Road ID on wrist, hankie in jersey pocket (for wiping sweat in hot months, and nose dribbles in cold ones), phone in 2nd pocket, windbreaker in 3rd pocket during colder months.

Clydesdale
05-03-2014, 08:18 PM
Tube
Patch Kit
Multi-tool
Laminated copy of DL with med/contact info on back
Some emergency money
CO2 inflator and 2 cartridges
Tire lever
I also have a Lezyne pump attached to bottle bosses

About 8" of gorilla tape wrapped around seatpost
Phone/food/money go in jersey pockets

I could go a little lighter but at my size I don't care much about a few extra ounces and like to be reasonably prepared to avoid walking.

tmf
05-03-2014, 08:31 PM
2 spare tires
paint can opener (great for prying off tires)
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/attachments/r-c107-sl-slc-class/493693d1359952296-instrument-cluster-removal-tool-paint-can-paint-can-opener.jpg

2 x CO2 cartridges

(my wallet, CO2 head & multitool are in my jersey pocket)

carpediemracing
05-03-2014, 08:32 PM
I was thinking my list was incomplete when I put my RoadID on today (to go pick up milk, not going for a ride).

I wear a RoadID now, wrist. I learned that one rider who had a bad crash had a RoadID but the first thing they did was they stabilized his head and they obscured/covered his dog tag type RoadID. They only saw it after they got him to the hospital. Wrist I think is better.

I also have a heart thing so I carry a mini version of my EKG in my wallet. Apparently if I'm unconscious and they hook me up to an EKG thing it'll look like I'm having a heart attack. I reduced the actual EKG printout and used clear packing tape to laminate it. It's in my wallet all the time.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_TbmplkIYLx8/RxOwzzBoocI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/g3FLj4gy_yQ/s800/100_2510.JPG

nighthawk
05-03-2014, 08:51 PM
What do you keep in your saddle bag?

Whiskey and condoms and my iPhone so I can record my rides on strava.

:D

Edit: the actual contents of my saddlebag are really boring... 1 tube, 2 levers, patch kit, multi tool. Mini pump, phone and snacks in jersey pockets.

SpokeValley
05-03-2014, 08:53 PM
Many of you mention $5, $10, $20 bills. I always ride with my wallet in my jersey pocket to have my I.D. plus some cash. Do most of you not ride with your wallet?

No wallet for me. Even thought it's usually thin (from buying too much bike stuff) I just leave it home.

If I think I might be stopping for malted recovery beverages, I may carry a debit card.

SpokeValley
05-03-2014, 08:54 PM
Good idea, but instead of carrying a copy, I think I'll scan my Lic and put the jpg on my phone

Better idea!

Tony T
05-04-2014, 10:04 AM
paint can opener (great for prying off tires)

Ouch!, that would damage my alum rims.

ptourkin
05-04-2014, 10:46 AM
No wallet. Debit card and a $20 in one of these: http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00185B7YO/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have the version of Road ID that uses a pin number to link to more info, including my insurance information and medical data, so I don't carry other ID. I crashed in February and ended up in the hospital and that worked as designed.

rperks
05-04-2014, 12:24 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/ed1640fbc211c5f04820b7493a8d11de/tumblr_n2notmKnqj1tw7ycxo1_1280.jpg

I am the pack rat, and will forget things is they are not always there. THe above keeps me out of most trouble. If I am heading out for more than 50 miles, mixed terrain or with a group that may not even be the sort that carry tubes I carry even more. Things like Arm warmers, a second tube, spare tire come and go. The wallet, phone and keys are always there, sometimes in the bag, others in my pockets.

Also, I know the thread was "saddle bag" but this stiff all rides up front. Saddle bag is only used on bigger trips and or light and bulky items

alancw3
05-04-2014, 12:41 PM
two tubes
3 tire irons (plastic)
$20
two clean wipes

also carry a new tire in a cutoff water bottle held in seat tube bottle holder.

Tony T
05-04-2014, 12:50 PM
two clean wipes

I carry one of these: GO! Towel 100% Organic Bamboo Compressed Towels (http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Bamboo-Compressed-Towels-10-pack/dp/B007K14YCW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1399225661&sr=8-1&keywords=go+towel)

bobswire
05-04-2014, 01:08 PM
http://37.media.tumblr.com/ed1640fbc211c5f04820b7493a8d11de/tumblr_n2notmKnqj1tw7ycxo1_1280.jpg

I am the pack rat, and will forget things is they are not always there. THe above keeps me out of most trouble. If I am heading out for more than 50 miles, mixed terrain or with a group that may not even be the sort that carry tubes I carry even more. Things like Arm warmers, a second tube, spare tire come and go. The wallet, phone and keys are always there, sometimes in the bag, others in my pockets.

Also, I know the thread was "saddle bag" but this stiff all rides up front. Saddle bag is only used on bigger trips and or light and bulky items

I'm a pack rat too but usually I use a shoulder bag like a small messenger bag. I'm out for an adventure and ready for most eventualities.

Not the greatest photo but you can kinda see the bag over my shoulder in this reflection.

http://i60.tinypic.com/n671x4.jpg

This is another bag sitting on the ground to my right but a bit smaller.

http://i62.tinypic.com/f1ebsj.jpg

Oh yeah, I primarily wear loose knickers that hold my wallet, keys, pocket knife. :)

Tony T
05-04-2014, 01:11 PM
All that, and a saddle bag, and stuff in your pockets :)

Bob Ross
05-04-2014, 02:08 PM
two tubes, two tire levers, and one multi-tool.

Every time I've thought it would be prudent to bring more stuff, it's just floated around in the bottom of my saddle bag gathering dust. Recently cleaned out my oldest bag and discovered a spare cleat screw, quick-link, tire boot, and a ball point pen...all which have gone unused for at least four years!

dpk501
05-04-2014, 03:41 PM
-one tube
-boot and patches
-pair of latex gloves.
-small packet of quick clot and iodine (all wrapped with tube inside latex gloves)
-$20 bill
-a pair of fixit sticks
-two C02 cartridge

all fits in a lezyne small micro-caddy bag.

Bradford
05-04-2014, 06:13 PM
1 tube
2 levers
2 C02
1 Kevlar spoke
1 multi tool with chain tool
1 quick link
tire boot
1 spf 15 lip balm
$10-$20
1 patch kit

I have used every item in that bag, although not all on my bike. I used the tire boot to get a guy on a hand cycle back on the road during Ride the Rockies (I rolled up and asked if he needed help. The guy with him, in a very discouraged voice said "not unless you have a hand cycle tire with you." I said no, but but I have a tire boot. I caught up with him at dinner and he said it saved his ride). Out of six days of riding during that ride, I fixed people's bikes on five days. None of them had tools with them.

I used the Kevlar spoke on a guy's rear wheel during a tour around Cape Breton Island. He sent me a note a few months later and said he had been slow in getting his bike in to get fixed and was still riding the Kevlar spoke and the wheel was still true.

I used the chain tool on Friday on my own bike on my commute home. I should have had my quick link with me, but for some reason I didn't.

What I don't carry:

a cell phone--it wouldn't do me any good. If I'm riding, my wife is with the two kids and she can't come get me most of the time.

I also don't put anything in my pockets, I hate the feeling of heavy stuff in my pockets, especially on long, hot rides.

grailedmund
05-04-2014, 06:26 PM
tubes, tire levers, pump!

jimoots
05-04-2014, 07:56 PM
No saddle bag at the moment.

Carry a tube, inflator, c02 canister, couple of levers and a mini multi-tool thing that's all wrapped up with a hair tie I pinched from the wife.

I like the no saddle bag thing as it makes the bike look a little better, feel lighter, etc.

I am thinking about buying a small saddle bag for rides longer than 5 hours where gels and electrolyte/carb drink isn't enough.

Frankwurst
05-04-2014, 08:04 PM
pump,two spare tubes,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,mm wrenches, spare chain,chain tool,spare tire. 10 bottles of water, ibuprofen, Vicodin, (for when the ibuprofen doesn't work), pipe wrench, bananas, apples, potatoes,venison (I limit this to a front shoulder),gas grill, charcoal (in case the gas doesn't work),and a hub cap for a '58 Buick (you never know when you might find someone driving a '58 Buick that lost or misplaced his hubcap). Oh and a six pack of my favorite beer and a bottle opener.:beer: Sometimes it's just my wallet,phone,spare tube and rain/wind jacket.:beer:

aaronka
05-05-2014, 11:30 AM
Tire patches (Park), Co2 cartridge and inflator, mini-tool, $20. Probably should carry more but that is all that fits in my under-saddle pack.

DrSpoke
05-05-2014, 02:51 PM
pump,two spare tubes,5,6,7,8,9,10,12,mm wrenches, spare chain,chain tool,spare tire. 10 bottles of water, ibuprofen, Vicodin, (for when the ibuprofen doesn't work), pipe wrench, bananas, apples, potatoes,venison (I limit this to a front shoulder),gas grill, charcoal (in case the gas doesn't work),and a hub cap for a '58 Buick (you never know when you might find someone driving a '58 Buick that lost or misplaced his hubcap). Oh and a six pack of my favorite beer and a bottle opener.:beer: Sometimes it's just my wallet,phone,spare tube and rain/wind jacket.:beer:

I hope the bottle opener is a Park Tools BO-2 - I know, a little heavy but durable.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-05-2014, 04:22 PM
I keep my saddle bag to the heavy stuff (tool, tube, CO2), and I'll leave it at home for short rides, for no reason other than silly minimalism. I have a ziplock bag that I carry on every ride, though:
* spare house key
* emergency credit card
* $20 coffee money
* a pill case with advil, Benadryl, and one immodium (never had to use it)
* cell phone with my ID and bank card in the case

The most commonly used items are the coffee money and advil. Nothing worse than a blazing sinus headache on a 30-degree day 25 miles from home.

Jeff N.
05-05-2014, 06:12 PM
Two tubes and a tire lever. Jeff N.

Mr.Pave
05-05-2014, 06:47 PM
one tube
2 tire levers
1-2 Co2
Skabs patch kit
Co2 head valve thing
potato salad
1 pack of Lucky Strikes.

soulspinner
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Kryptonite ;)

chiasticon
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
always get a kick out of these.

for me it's the usual stuff: tube, lever, patch kit/boot, multitool, chain master link, and a few bucks. goes into rapha essentials case in my jersey pocket. full-size frame fit pump on the bike. always carry phone and key in jersey, then adjust food/spare clothing as needed.

multitool does have a chain tool on it because i broke a chain once; although it was entirely my fault for rejoining it like an idiot, i still carry it and a spare link now. also i have a spare 2.5mm key at the moment because sram yaw decided it wanted to be different and use that instead of philips screw head :bike:

btw, i saw people mentioning attaching road ID-like info to their phones. you know that road ID makes an app for that right? you can make a lock screen with your relevant into. it can also track you and alert an emergency number if you stop for a specified amount of time.

wallymann
05-06-2014, 12:51 PM
first, i dont carry a seat-bag...i stow everything in a bespoke cordura pouch i keep in a jersey pocket.

- 2 tubes
- spare 10spd and 8spd links
- spoke wrench
- tyvek tire boots
- lightweight multi-tool (3-4-5-6 hex, phillips)
- 3X tire levers
- $5 in singles
- everything above wrapped in a small rag
- lezyne mini-pump

i fold the tubes so they're long-and-skinny, about the same length as the pump...everything rolls up neatly in the pouch, shaped like a burrito, so it fits easily into a jersey pocket and leaves room for other stuff in the same pocket.

bikenow
05-07-2014, 06:54 AM
I think my perfect saddle bag would include
1-tube
1-c02 cartridge
1-c02 head
1-set of levers
1-$20
1-small multi tool

Jersey
Phone, house key, piece of id

dawit
05-07-2014, 09:05 AM
Imo carrying a tube and a patch kit and only one co2 cartridge is a nonsense. How would you pump the patched tire after you used the one cartridge for a spare or the other way around.

EDS
05-07-2014, 09:56 AM
Depends a bit on the ride (e.g., distance) and wheels (tubulars involves a different set of stuff), but for most days I use a seatbag with the following contents:

1 tube
1 CO2
1 inflator that doubles as a super tiny only in an emergency use pump
1 $5 bill
1 tire lever
1 valve stem removal tool

For longer rides I might throw an extra tube and co2 in a jersey pocket

classtimesailer
05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
Weekend fast and long: spare tubular, screwdriver, mini pump, and lately 2 ounces of Stan's with a core remover.

Weekday commute: two tubes, multitool, and levers if the tires are newish.

downtube
05-07-2014, 09:18 PM
1 tube
1 co2+ fitting
1.00 bill ( In case I tear through a tire
2 tire irons
1 quick wipe + 2 band aids
Patch kit Because it fits
Small Dowel with 12" of duct tape wrapped around it.

That's about it although there are days I put all that stuff + a second tube in a
Lezyne Pocket Bag. And shove it in my back middle pocket
Early version of this:
http://www.lezyne.com/images/product/Product-orgnzrs-cdysack.jpg

bironi
05-07-2014, 09:56 PM
3 16lb bowling balls. How many pages can we go? Go guys and gals.

CunegoFan
05-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Cannot add much.

My patch kit includes the following:
- 2 tubes of glue, one unopened
- Xacto blade for digging out thorns or what not
- 2 of those huge patches that are about 1"x2" or so to use as boots
- Schrader to presta adapter
- a bit of toilet paper to prevent anything from rattling

Toilet paper in a ziplock. Used very infrequently but it has saved by butt a few times.

stev0
05-08-2014, 04:38 PM
I've almost never (with the exception of exploding chains) run into any trouble carrying this combination of things:

1 spare tube
1 patch kit (including boot)
2 tire levers
1 large-ish multi tool (Topeak Alien II)
1 wet-wipe

and I carry a mini pump in my jersey pocket.
been meaning to add a pair of latex gloves, but haven't gotten around to it.

Miller76
09-07-2015, 10:48 AM
What is the consensus for the best multi tool with a chain tool included? I lost mine on the ride this morning so searching for a replacement.

My saddle bag contained:
Multi tool
2 CO2 cartridges and head
2 tubes
2 tire levers
Valve extender
$20

I carry my cellphone, debit card, license and another $20 in a zip lock bag that I stuff in my jersey. I should probably include some assorted pills etc

dsimon
09-07-2015, 12:26 PM
1 tube
1 patch kit
and two used co2 bottles i keep forgetting to get new ones:help:

Tickdoc
09-07-2015, 12:38 PM
Same kit as most, but I like to carry two little zip ties wrapped in a little electrical tape, just in case a spoke breaks, or a tire busts through and I can't find a piece of trash to line the inside of tire with.

blessthismess
09-07-2015, 12:43 PM
I always have the basics on me, sometimes more but will not be caught without:

2 Spare Tubes
Patch Kit
Set of Tire Levers
Mini Pump
Multi-Tool

I little heavy but better than walking home

NeauDL
09-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Folding reading glasses so I can see well enough to find a hole in a tube.

djg21
09-07-2015, 08:20 PM
Let me say at the outset that I am not a weight weenie. I ride with a somewhat changing group, some of who take roadside repairs more seriously than others. In addition to tire/tube changing stuff and a compact tool-set on the more extensive side (eg one of the Park ones with the chain tool for example), I started to include a spare KMC chain link after my chain broke several years ago (which I ended up using last fall when a buddy's chain broke) and a little roll of duct tape (because you can fix anything with duct tape, but which I have only actually used for a tire gash).

Last weekend, one of my friend's cleats started to come off (screw fell out), prompting me to think that throwing a cleat screw or two in would make sense.

Anything else? -- I suspect both the practical and humorous views of this esteemed group will be useful. A beer keg does not fit in my saddle bag -- just FYI.

Two tubes; a Silca inflator; two 12g CO2 cartridges: two Park Tire Boots (these things are great); one tire lever; one Park IB-multi tool. I've rarely needed anything more.

shovelhd
09-07-2015, 08:31 PM
An eight ball, a crack pipe, a couple of blunts, and a lighter.

SlackMan
09-07-2015, 08:46 PM

Chuckle...I keep wondering whether I should carry reading glasses on every ride. If there is something small to repair, there is no way I'm going to do it without glasses!

Now where's the old guy emoticon?

djg21
09-07-2015, 08:51 PM
An eight ball, a crack pipe, a couple of blunts, and a lighter.

What about the condoms? Oh, I forgot, you're an old ···· like me.

Black Dog
09-07-2015, 08:57 PM
What is the consensus for the best multi tool with a chain tool included? I lost mine on the ride this morning so searching for a replacement.

My saddle bag contained:
Multi tool
2 CO2 cartridges and head
2 tubes
2 tire levers
Valve extender
$20

I carry my cellphone, debit card, license and another $20 in a zip lock bag that I stuff in my jersey. I should probably include some assorted pills etc

Crank Brothers M19.
https://www.crankbrothers.com/data/media/products/products_large/m19_magenta_black.png

SoCalSteve
09-07-2015, 09:46 PM
iPhone with uber app...don't really need anything else....;)

rustychisel
09-07-2015, 10:08 PM

Yeah. That's become a necessity.

Otherwise, a tube, 2 different length cleat screws, a 4,5,6mm Allen key and T10 Torx. Mini screwdriver. flat and Philips head, ID card, 2 plastic tyre levers and a zip tie or two.

Pump is on frame.

DRZRM
09-07-2015, 10:11 PM
Can't believe that I've ridden this long without knowing about Kevlar spokes. Could have twice saved me an abbreviated ride, once with a hike out.

1 tube
2 levers
2 C02
1 Kevlar spoke
1 multi tool with chain tool
1 quick link
tire boot
1 spf 15 lip balm
$10-$20
1 patch kit

I have used every item in that bag, although not all on my bike. I used the tire boot to get a guy on a hand cycle back on the road during Ride the Rockies (I rolled up and asked if he needed help. The guy with him, in a very discouraged voice said "not unless you have a hand cycle tire with you." I said no, but but I have a tire boot. I caught up with him at dinner and he said it saved his ride). Out of six days of riding during that ride, I fixed people's bikes on five days. None of them had tools with them.

I used the Kevlar spoke on a guy's rear wheel during a tour around Cape Breton Island. He sent me a note a few months later and said he had been slow in getting his bike in to get fixed and was still riding the Kevlar spoke and the wheel was still true.

I used the chain tool on Friday on my own bike on my commute home. I should have had my quick link with me, but for some reason I didn't.

What I don't carry:

a cell phone--it wouldn't do me any good. If I'm riding, my wife is with the two kids and she can't come get me most of the time.

I also don't put anything in my pockets, I hate the feeling of heavy stuff in my pockets, especially on long, hot rides.

brewsmith
09-07-2015, 11:57 PM
Multi tool, iron, patch ki, co2 and two spare canisters, ID

cderalow
09-08-2015, 10:27 AM
Tubular strapped to my seat rails. Two tire levers, two co2, one inflator, small first aid kid in one jersey pocket in a lezyne pouch with mini pump . Phone & wallet in another jersey pocket.

Nutrition in the 3rd pocket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

azrider
09-08-2015, 10:43 AM
I'm just going to put these right here...........

cookietom
09-10-2015, 10:50 AM
Dope.

Why?

tuxbailey
09-10-2015, 11:55 AM
- One tube
- One instant patch kit
- One Multi-tool with built in chain tool
- One KMC quick link
- One CO2 tool
- One mini-pump
- Two CO2 cartridge
- Two rubber gloves
- Two Go-Towels: http://www.amazon.com/Organic-Bamboo-Compressed-Towels-10-pack/dp/B007K14YCW
- Three tire levers

benb
09-10-2015, 02:33 PM
In Saddle bag on each bike:
- 1 Tube
- 1 Crank Bros M19 - mine is not anodized like the above though
- 2 plastic tire levers
- Flat kit (I think I'm in the club of "never successfully patched on the road" though)
- Spare chain link (I've never broken a chain ever)
- Spare watch battery for cadence/speed/hrm

On each bike:
- Lezyne mini pump

Pockets:
Keys
Wallet
Smartphone

I do wear a wrist RoadID as well. I'm of the school that the tools stay on the bike, too easy to forget something if you are carrying everything in your pockets. Keys/Wallet/Smartphone go everywhere with me so pretty hard to forget those.