PDA

View Full Version : Steel or Carbon Disc Fork for Ti Frame?

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 02:51 PM
So I plan on getting a new Ti frame to replace my beloved Planet Cross (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1534384&postcount=25) (will be posted for sale soon although a forum member already has first dibs): fender mounts, rack mounts, disc brakes, the whole nine yards -- basically a new and improved version of my P-X. BTBRL (builder to be revealed later). :)

There are a lot of little details that I still need to figure out, but first and foremost is the HT and fork. Options are:

44mm HT with a Whisky Parts No. 7 disc fork (tapered steerer)
"Normal" HT (1 1/8" HS) with a custom steel fork (straight steerer)

I see several pros and cons for both:

Option 1:

Pro: More "future proof" as a lot of disc forks nowadays only come with tapered steerer tubes (e.g., ENVE)
Pro: A little lighter
Con: More expensive... ~$200-300 extra for the bigger HT
Con: Carbon can crack
Con: Paint's extra... no big deal though

Option 2:

Pro: Cheaper
Pro: More durable/bulletproof
Pro: Paint's free
Pro: Can have rack mounts added if I want them
Con: Limited options if I want/need a different fenderable disc fork in the future
Con: A little heavier

For the type of riding I plan on doing (mostly commuting, rain or shine, occasional day/weekend trips with panniers, maybe some "gravel grinding"), either would be sufficient.

Sooooo... thoughts??

David Tollefson
05-02-2014, 02:55 PM
With the first "con" on the steel fork side -- if this is a custom steel fork designed for this frame, why are your options limited if you want a different fork? Just get another custom.

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Exihibit A:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2867/10314876565_cb00ccd5d2_z.jpg

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 02:57 PM
Exhibit B:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2812/11041064604_308b29e0b9_o.jpg

tuscanyswe
05-02-2014, 03:02 PM
B is better than A but i present to you C which wins it (for me).

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Mosaic-di2-disc-brake-cyclocross-bike011-600x398.jpg

Liv2RideHard
05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
What does your builder think? All depends on your intended use(s). I vote ENVE CX disc fork all the way. With that 44mm HT, the tapered ENVE fork will mate to it functionally and aesthetically in the proper way. You will notice a difference in stiffness. That is also very important to consider. Will you be racing it? A steel fork may shudder under handfuls of brake. You won't experience that with the ENVE unit. If you are going custom, will a few hundred dollars really matter in the end?

d_douglas
05-02-2014, 03:12 PM
I have a Desalvo with an ENVE disc fork and it all works great. If you want fenders and racks, however, I would go with a nice steel fork. Chances are, your chosen builder can handle that as well.

Mike actually encouraged me to go carbon, saying that disc forks with skinny blades aren't ideal for a big guy like me. That said, my commuter has an uber skinny disc Igleheart fork that has given me no problems.

A little plug for Wound Up - I *slightly* regret opting against Wound Up, as I think their forks are great quality.

In any case, enjoy the bike - I rode mine yesterday and smiled the whole ride.

binouye
05-02-2014, 03:24 PM
Is it possible to add fender mounts to an ENVE or Whiskey fork?

I've wondered the same question at the OP. My commuter has a custom steel disc fork (Carl Strong, bought used here on Forum) with rack and fender mounts. I like the general setup well enough I've started thinking about a new custom frame/fork. Tangential: I like the TRP Hy/Rds a lot better than the BB7s that I had at first (Campy drivetrain).

tuscanyswe
05-02-2014, 03:25 PM
Is it possible to add fender mounts to an ENVE or Whiskey fork?

I've wondered the same question at the OP. My commuter has a custom steel disc fork (Carl Strong, bought used here on Forum) with rack and fender mounts. I like the general setup well enough I've started thinking about a new custom frame/fork. Tangential: I like the TRP Hy/Rds a lot better than the BB7s that I had at first (Campy drivetrain).

Neil here on the forum (who currently have a pretty interesting bike in the gallery under customs) added fender outlets on his enve road disc fork. Ask him what it costs :)

DfCas
05-02-2014, 03:30 PM
I don't agree that a steel fork is more durable/bullet proof. I bent a steel cross fork in rough riding, replaced it with carbon, and rode the same rough terrain with no problem. The carbon rode better and didn't bend. So I vote carbon.

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 05:31 PM
"Limited" in the sense that there don't appear to be any stock fenderable carbon disc forks if I later decide I want to try a non-steel fork. Are there any at the moment besides Wound Up?

With the first "con" on the steel fork side -- if this is a custom steel fork designed for this frame, why are your options limited if you want a different fork? Just get another custom.

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 05:32 PM
What's C? ENVE? Obviously, I like the brand, but I doubt want to pay an extra $200 to have fender eyelets added.

B is better than A but i present to you C which wins it (for me).

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Mosaic-di2-disc-brake-cyclocross-bike011-600x398.jpg

tuscanyswe
05-02-2014, 05:35 PM
You can order wound up with eyelets
http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/a-new-handbuilt-show-pops-up-in-colorado/13734

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Whisky No 7 has fender mounts and it's $140 less than ENVE... good value IMO.

Is it possible to add fender
mounts to an ENVE or Whiskey fork?

Admiral Ackbar
05-02-2014, 05:48 PM
kona makes a tapered disc fork with fender mounts too

tuscanyswe
05-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Whisky No 7 has fender mounts and it's $140 less than ENVE... good value IMO.

If you prefer the whiskey then yes 140 is good cash to spend on other things. If you prefer another fork and the frameset is 3000+ regardless then perhaps 140 isent that much difference.

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 06:22 PM
Stock option is steel, but the builder will design around whichever fork I want. And yeah, I knew it's just a few extra hundred dollars, but it's still a few hundred dollars!

What does your builder think? All depends on your intended use(s). I vote ENVE CX disc fork all the way. With that 44mm HT, the tapered ENVE fork will mate to it functionally and aesthetically in the proper way. You will notice a difference in stiffness. That is also very important to consider. Will you be racing it? A steel fork may shudder under handfuls of brake. You won't experience that with the ENVE unit. If you are going custom, will a few hundred dollars really matter in the end?

tuscanyswe
05-02-2014, 06:29 PM
I definetly agree. I think its alot of money. Im just saying that for me if i were getting a custom for what i assume is 3000+ then i wouldent cut corners for that extra 140. But if i felt i wasent theres a lot of other stuff one can do for those 140 i agree with that. Poor cant afford to be cheap is my motto (not sure that applies to 3000+ frames.. but you get the idea).

sand fungus
05-02-2014, 08:24 PM
I have a steel commuter bike with disk brakes and the whiskey #7 fork. To me it is was a easy decision to go carbon. Mainly because of the weight savings, but also the look and the ride characteristics. I assume you want Ti for weight or corrosion resistance, neither of which the steel fork would offer. For durability I can tell you the carbon forks are very durable and in my opinion look better. I have 3000+ miles on my carbon fork including gravel rides and being hit by a car and the thing is as solid as the first day I rode it.

xeladragon
05-02-2014, 09:01 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks like OS HT + carbon fork wins by a landslide.