PDA

View Full Version : KMC chain issues on old SRAM Drivetrain

TheEnglish
05-02-2014, 01:21 PM
To start, I have a SRAM Force Grouppo. I have been running SRAM 10 speed chains on my bike for last few years and changing them out 1500-2000 miles. Most recently, I went a little longer (a little over 2,000), but my chain checker still read 0.50.

For my new chaing, I decided to try out the KMC x10sl. On my first ride with the new chain, it was slipping on the cassette. I tried to adjust the b-adjust to wrap the chain around the cogs as much as possible, but to no avail.

Has anyone else swapped from SRAM to KMC chain mid drivetrain wear and had success? I am debating whether to buy a SRAM chain and try that or just replace the chainrings and cassette.

As a side note, the teeth don't look like I should have to replace the whole drivetrain, but I have heard, sometimes it doesn't take much to cause a new chain to not match. Total miles on the drivetrain around 4,000-4,500.

ultraman6970
05-02-2014, 01:34 PM
IMO the problem you have is because the cassette is gone, is not because of the chain. Do you have a second wheel with a newer cassette at home? Maybe a friend's wheel?

TheEnglish
05-02-2014, 01:40 PM
I don't have another cassette, I thought if the cassette was gone, the chainrings are probably gone too. I can always try a friends, but I decided to throw the old chain back on for the time being. I leaning towards buying the new cassette and chain rings and just riding the old stuff into the ground at this point.

Ken Robb
05-02-2014, 01:48 PM
How many cassettes have you replaced while using the present chain rings? Does the new chain skip when on your least-used rings/cogs or just those that you use the most?

TheEnglish
05-02-2014, 01:57 PM
I haven't replaced anything but chains at this point. The new chain only skips on the 7 middle cogs or so.

Ralph
05-02-2014, 02:26 PM
You do not have a chain issue. Replace the cassette. Chainrings may be OK for a while. Would see before I replaced them.

Ken Robb
05-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I agree with Ralph.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 05:33 PM
To start, I have a SRAM Force Grouppo. I have been running SRAM 10 speed chains on my bike for last few years and changing them out 1500-2000 miles. Most recently, I went a little longer (a little over 2,000), but my chain checker still read 0.50.

For my new chaing, I decided to try out the KMC x10sl. On my first ride with the new chain, it was slipping on the cassette. I tried to adjust the b-adjust to wrap the chain around the cogs as much as possible, but to no avail.

Has anyone else swapped from SRAM to KMC chain mid drivetrain wear and had success? I am debating whether to buy a SRAM chain and try that or just replace the chainrings and cassette.

As a side note, the teeth don't look like I should have to replace the whole drivetrain, but I have heard, sometimes it doesn't take much to cause a new chain to not match. Total miles on the drivetrain around 4,000-4,500.

Cogset worn out, your CRs are probably fine. It has nothing to do with the chain being KMC, everything to do with the chain being new.

Btw- get a shimano cogset, better cogset.

maunahaole
05-02-2014, 06:02 PM
Alternative solution #1 is to go campy.

Alternative solution #2 is to use a shimano cassette on your SRAM drivetrain.

TheEnglish
05-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Oldpotatoe, what makes a Shimano cogset better? I have run Shimano and SRAM, but honestly, I don't think I could tell a difference in a blind test.

Cicli
05-02-2014, 06:33 PM
Oldpotatoe, what makes a Shimano cogset better? I have run Shimano and SRAM, but honestly, I don't think I could tell a difference in a blind test.

I dont know why eaxctly they seem to work better. Shimano cassettes do seem to last longer and run quieter also.

I agree, your cassette is junk and the chainrings are probably fine.

shovelhd
05-02-2014, 06:35 PM
Btw- get a shimano cogset, better cogset.

My experience is limited but similar. 7900 .vs. Red, the Red just didn't shift as well with 7970, plus they're wicked loud.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 06:43 PM

I think a 5700 or 6700 shifts better, lasts longer. Compatible SRAM cogsets seem cheap, don't last as long, IMHO