PDA

View Full Version : Jagwire Cables for Campy 11?

eolson124
05-02-2014, 09:45 AM
Does anyone know whether Jagwire cables (brake and shifting) are compatible with Campy 11?

buldogge
05-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Are you referring to inners or a Jagwire "Racer" kit (now Road Pro)??

Jagwire makes Campy specific inners…

If you're using the inners from the kits you need to file/sand the OD of the shifter heads down to fit the smaller opening in the Campy shifter mechanism.

I also file the dome profile flat on the brake cable ends for extra room behind the CF brake blades.

If you're referring to the outers…than yes, there is no problem…I just installed a Road Pro kit on my "new" CIII with Chorus/Athena 11.

-Mark in St. Louis

Does anyone know whether Jagwire cables (brake and shifting) are compatible with Campy 11?

Ralph
05-02-2014, 10:01 AM
Just use the Campagno specific Jagwire racer kit. 4 MM derailleur housing, 5 MM brake housing. No need to use any Shimano wires, no need to file heads, etc. Jagwire makes a kit for Campy. Make sure you get the kit with 4 MM derailleur housing, used with 2009 and up Campy stuff (10 & 11), not the bigger derailleur housing of pre 09. Inner wire size didn't change. The last Racer kit I bought had Teflon cables, very slick, but some say they eventually gum up, and prefer older slick regular stainless. So far my teflon wire working good.

Lewis Moon
05-02-2014, 10:06 AM
Just use the Campagno specific Jagwire racer kit. 4 MM derailleur housing, 5 MM brake housing (or 4.5 can't remember). No need to use any Shimano wires, no need to file heads, etc. Jagwire makes a kit for Campy.

Yep. Works a treat.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 10:19 AM

'Campagnolo' ones from Jagwire are....for 11s and 10s....slick stainless. Don't need to be in a 'racer' kit.

buldogge
05-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Jagwire hasn't made a "kit" with Campy ended cables in years.

Racer is now called Road Pro and even when it was still Racer it didn't have the dual ends for at least (2) years prior to that.

As already mentioned, Jagwire has Campy specific inners.

Either:

1) Buy a kit and get filing.

2) Buy a kit and swap out the inners for Campy specific

3) Buy bulk housing by-the-foot and correct inners from you LBS.

edit...Jagwire does have the Universal Sport Brake "kits" and Shift "kits" separately that feature Campy ends...just no single complete kit...less available colors, unfortunately...FWIW.

-Mark

Just use the Campagno specific Jagwire racer kit. 4 MM derailleur housing, 5 MM brake housing. No need to use any Shimano wires, no need to file heads, etc. Jagwire makes a kit for Campy. Make sure you get the kit with 4 MM derailleur housing, used with 2009 and up Campy stuff (10 & 11), not the bigger derailleur housing of pre 09. Inner wire size didn't change. The last Racer kit I bought had Teflon cables, very slick, but some say they eventually gum up, and prefer older slick regular stainless. So far my teflon wire working good.

Yep. Works a treat.

thirdgenbird
05-02-2014, 03:59 PM
I bought a full jagwire campy kit not all that long ago. Must have been old stock.

If you want black, red or white, I strongly prefer campy stuff anyway.

Buying jagwire by the foot is pretty cheap. I may go that way on my current build just so I can go green. I wish I could find someone to split a roll.

Ralph
05-02-2014, 04:40 PM
I just bought a new Campy ended one also.

buldogge
05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Where are you guys finding old-stock Racer kits with the dual end cables???

If you don't mind sharing...

-Mark

thirdgenbird
05-02-2014, 07:35 PM
I'm pretty sure mine was actually a "campy" kit and not double ended but I can't remember for sure. I haven't seen one in the last 12 months.

Ralph
05-02-2014, 08:33 PM
Looks like Mark is correct. No Campy specific kits still being made. Have to mix and match a little. I did just buy a Racer kit with only Campy ends, but guess it was NOS.

Thankfully, it not too tough to just buy JagWire Campy parts, housing and wires, as needed.

pjmsj21
05-07-2014, 12:17 AM
OK....so after reading these posts, is getting the official Campy cable kit the best route to go?

oldpotatoe
05-07-2014, 06:07 AM
OK....so after reading these posts, is getting the official Campy cable kit the best route to go?

It's the most expensive and you can assured everything will work and fit and all. Considering the amount of dis/mis information out there in bike land, maybe that's best but Jagwire for Campagnolo brake and der inner wires work very well..and 'standard' 4mm(for Campagnolo 2009 and later levers, 5mm works best for older ERGO and all shimano(except 6800/9000)/sram)) lined der housing and 5mm brake housing...

NO FERRULES in the ERGO levers, please, 2009 and later levers. Yes for der on 8/9/10s ERGO. Early ERGO(1991/2/3) used ferrules for brakes but geeezz, those are over 20 years old.

thirdgenbird
05-07-2014, 07:40 AM

Speaking as a record 10spd owner, I like Campagnolo kits better. They seem to cut cleaner, there is more brake cable housing which is needed for full runs on larger frames, and they come with a stepped ferrule for use on many steel frames.

Note of this may apply to 11 speed. Sorry if it does not...