PDA

View Full Version : Help with bad shimano chain installation

moose8
05-01-2014, 07:29 PM
So if there's a way to screw things up I appear to screw them up. I was reinstalling a shimano ten speed chain and went to break the pin off and it appears like it broke a little past where it was supposed to so now there's a little edge sticking out on the inside. Is there any way to fix this? Did I drive it too far in or not far enough? As always thanks for any help

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/02/negyreda.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/02/ypy2apu5.jpg

dvs cycles
05-01-2014, 07:33 PM
Looks like it needs to be driven in more. Usually in that position the link will be stiff and not move very well.
I always use just a little smidge of lube and you can feel it press in and then settle into position when the resistance goes down.

eddief
05-01-2014, 07:35 PM
pins or preferably quick links are relatively inexpensive. Either do another pin or get a link. if it is centered and you can't push it back the other way, then the extra will get in the way.

tuscanyswe
05-01-2014, 07:37 PM
Ive successfully pushed pins back without issues or futher in after pin breakage. If thats advisable to do tho i cant say tho i havent experienced any trouble from doing so. If in doubt get a quick link, its easier in the future anyways.

Chain usually develops a tightness in that link which you may want to sort if its there. Some gentle bending back and forth does the trick.

Tony
05-01-2014, 07:44 PM
This video may be helpful.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnRxNHkRh8Q

ultraman6970
05-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Tuscan it will work just fine man. To lose the link just try to bend the chain in the link, one time at the inside, one time at the outside and that will lose the link.

moose8
05-01-2014, 08:05 PM
I should have watched that video first! I pushed it back in a hair and now the chain moves freely, but the pin is out of either side a very, very tiny amount - enough so you can feel it but not really even see it. I'll try to go to my lbs tomorrow during lunch and get a new pin as I need to get this thing ready for a 200k on Saturday morning. I'm a complete idiot when it comes to fixing bikes. It's both so simple and so unbelievably complicated.

bikinchris
05-01-2014, 08:31 PM
That's dangerous. Putting a new pin won't make it a whole lot less dangerous. Take of that half of the link and put in a snap together link. Much safer.

Ralph
05-01-2014, 08:38 PM
That's dangerous. Putting a new pin won't make it a whole lot less dangerous. Take of that half of the link and put in a snap together link. Much safer.

What I would do. I wouldn't screw around with it. A 10 minute fix.

regularguy412
05-01-2014, 09:19 PM
I once had a Shimano pin break off kinda screwey like that. I just made sure that the OTHER side (smooth side) is sticking out only the correct amount (read: just slightly - fingernail thickness - out from the side of the link). You can see from the pics you sent that the factory-installed pins are practically (tho not completely) flush with the side of the links. After readjusting the pin, check the snap-off side. If it was like mine, there should be a small amount sticking out on that side too. Actually, I was a little worried about it in the beginning, as the snap-off end was not 'square'. After a couple of hundred miles, i forgot about it. For me, it worked out OK.

Just looks like yours actually needs to be pushed BACK the other way as the amount sticking out on the 'square' side may interfere with adjacent cogs and/or muck up the shifting a bit.

You'll likely also have to 'loosen up' the link a bit after you get the pin centered, even if you completely replace with a new pin and it breaks off correctly.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Mike in AR:beer:

Black Dog
05-01-2014, 10:32 PM
As others have said. Get a quick link and reduce the chance of a failure of the chain to near zero. No worries or lingering doubts. Just ride with peace of mind. Plus you will be able to remove and reinstall the chain with out tools. This is not a part on the bike that you want to fail while riding. :eek:

Mikej
05-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Shimano states to never replace a replaceable pin in the same spot, if you break a Shimano chain you are supposed to do it on the factory installed pins. The installment of the break away pin removes a very slight ring of the plate material, so if you removed a break away pin, you need a new chain or a quick link or a cell phone..

moose8
05-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Plan is to still go to the bike shop today and see what they say. It didn't replace an already replaced pin but went in to a factory installed one. I backed it back down as others suggested and now it protrudes less than a fingernails thickness on either side - it's barely perceptible but it is perceptible. When I've done it before they broke off cleanly so I obviously made a user install error and probably pushed it too far in it not far enough or something.

I had a ten speed chain break (which I had not installed myself) and it caused the derailleur and rear wheel to get messed up so I definitely want to avoid that if possible.

russd32
05-02-2014, 08:36 AM
I hate Shimano chains....

just thought I'd throw some gas on the fire :)

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 09:06 AM
Install a shimano pin into a plate once. It does deform the plate some.

If the plate has had a pin thru it, but got gooned up somehow, get a snap link.

Campagnolo chains, pin into new link plates only once. The one w/o a pin in it when new. Never push a pin out then new pin in.

But yep, snap links are best. For 1 thru 11s.

kurto
05-02-2014, 09:27 AM
I've never had problems with Shimano pins, but for those of you who use them with quick links, which brand do you recommend? SRAM, KMC, which works best (and quietest) with Shimano chains?

Tony
05-02-2014, 09:42 AM
I was able to find a LBS that carries KMC links. Bought several at $2.99 ea and installed on all my Shimano chains. I also have sram on two bikes and they don't seem much different than KMC. Both work great.

oldpotatoe
05-02-2014, 10:30 AM
I've never had problems with Shimano pins, but for those of you who use them with quick links, which brand do you recommend? SRAM, KMC, which works best (and quietest) with Shimano chains?

In my experience, Wipperman(NOT their chains), KMC, IRD....10 or 11s(although not sure if Wipperman has a 11s link. Not SRAM anything, thanks.

Before ya ask, anecdotally, Wipperman chains, along with being expensive, 'seem' to wear cogsets out quicker and don't shift as well as Campagnolo, shimano and KMC when new.

In the shop we sold Campagnolo, shimano, KMC chains..mid to low end. 5700, Veloce, Chorus for 11s, KMC $30 or so chains. Consumables. A more expensive chain works no better, lasts no longer...shiny until it gets dirty.

moose8
05-02-2014, 11:26 AM
My lbs just looked at it and said not to bother with a quicklink and that the installation was fine after I explained what I had done - I guess backing it back in just a hair did the trick. Thanks for everyone's ideas. They're just retensioning a wheel for me and said that the bike should be fine to ride.

Tony T
05-02-2014, 12:05 PM
I was able to find a LBS that carries KMC links. Bought several at $2.99 ea and installed on all my Shimano chains. I also have sram on two bikes and they don't seem much different than KMC. Both work great.

I use the Campy pin on the chain, but I always carry a KMC link with me in case of a chain snap.
(The only problem with the Campy chain link is the initial cost of the Campy chain tool :))

cfox
05-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Wipperman does not yet have an 11 speed Connex link, which is a shame because they work wonderfully. No tool, re-usable, super durable. I prefer them to the KMC links, as I've used both on Campy 10 speed.