PDA

View Full Version : AAA To Offer Roadside Assistance For Bicyclists

wc1934
04-30-2014, 08:07 PM
AAA To Offer Roadside Assistance For Bicyclists
April 30, 2014 4:31 PMS

Cyclists participate in the annual Granite State Wheelman Tri-State Seacoast Century Ride on Saturday, Sept. 21, 2013. (Credit: WBZ-TV)
Related Tags: AAA, Anthony Silva, CBS Boston, New England Business, WBZ

Anthony Silva
Anthony Silva is co-host of the WBZ Afternoon News heard each wee...Read More
GET BREAKING NEWS FIRST
Receive News, Politics, and Entertainment Headlines Each Morning.
BOSTON (CBS) — AAA Southern New England is rolling out a bicycle roadside assistance program in time for National Bike Month.
WBZ NewsRadio 1030′s New England BusinessEditor Anthony Silva

With the new service, AAA members will be able to request help for a disabled bicycle in need of minor repairs or be transported up to 10 miles. It’s the first time AAA has made the service available.
“If you are broken down in a place where we can get to you, we’ll come to the scene and see if a minor repair is possible and if not, we’ll certainly transport you,” said Dave Raposo of AAA. “AAA clubs in the western part of the country have been offering this service.”
Raposo said with such a large cycling community in and around New England, it was only natural to offer the service.

velotrack
04-30-2014, 08:13 PM
Where will they find qualified enough people to solve small repairs that the average enthusiast may not? Perhaps to bring a tube, or some air that a cyclist may have forgotten?

Cool idea, though, for sure. Just not sure how it would play out.

jbrainin
04-30-2014, 08:23 PM
It must already be April 1 somewhere.

But, if not a joke, I like this.

1centaur
04-30-2014, 08:27 PM
No this is real. Here in Massachusetts it won't go over the border into New Hampshire, except for the city of Salem. Distances over 10 miles will incur a per mile charge. Roadside repairs MIGHT be attempted, but mostly this is putting bike racks on the smaller vehicles in the AAA fleet and giving you a ride home. Hope they have good racks and take care putting them on.

Great idea - very happy with the back-up.

Scooper
04-30-2014, 08:28 PM
I think tomorrow is May 1. ;)

Bruce K
04-30-2014, 08:31 PM
I wonder if at some point they will start recruiting bike shops the way they enroll garages/wrecker services to provide the roadside assistance?

Will that lead to AAA member discounts at LBS'?

This could get interesting.

BK

dustyrider
04-30-2014, 09:48 PM
10 miles? Hmm...must be banking on roadie shoes!

Tony T
04-30-2014, 10:11 PM
It must already be April 1 somewhere.

But, if not a joke, I like this.

Not a bad idea. If bike breaks down, no need to call a friend/wife/taxi.
Includes RI and parts of CT, NH, NJ

http://www.southernnewengland.aaa.com/membership/membership-benefits-bike-services
http://www.southernnewengland.aaa.com/membership/bicycle-service-faq

In the FAQ:
If I’m too tired to continue with my bike ride, will AAA pick me up?
No, the bicycle service does not cover rider fatigue or physical inability to continue with the ride.

Coverage Area:

AAA Southern New England proudly serves members in Rhode Island and the following counties in Connecticut: Pawcatuck, New Haven, Fairfield and Litchfield, and in Massachusetts: Barnstable, Berkshire, Bristol, Dukes, Essex, Middlesex, Nantucket, Norfolk, Plymouth, Suffolk and Worcester, and in New Jersey: Morris, Union, and Essex, and in New Hampshire: Salem.

Satellite
04-30-2014, 10:21 PM
In the FAQ:
If I’m too tired to continue with my bike ride, will AAA pick me up?
No, the bicycle service does not cover rider fatigue or physical inability to continue with the ride.

Tires are easy to deflate, just ask Greg LeMond.

Satellite

JLP
04-30-2014, 10:25 PM
I was very annoyed with Aaa when they single handedly testified and shot down a 3 foot safe passing law in Washington even though the national seems to be reasonable.

Don49
05-01-2014, 12:16 AM
I was very annoyed with Aaa when they single handedly testified and shot down a 3 foot safe passing law in Washington even though the national seems to be reasonable.Agreed, AAA has been active in lobbying against pedestrian and bicycle friendly initiatives.

BWC has always offered bike assistance. http://www.betterworldclub.com/roadside-assistance/bicycle-roadside-assistance/

elcolombiano
05-01-2014, 12:47 AM
AAA is not your friend. If you want insurance to pick you up in the event of a breakdown try http://velosurance.com/

Tony T
05-01-2014, 08:36 AM
If you want to insure the bike against theft and damage as well as a ride home, yes, but if you already have AAA, there is no additional cost (for 1st 10mi) for the ride home.

christian
05-01-2014, 08:40 AM
I was very annoyed with Aaa when they single handedly testified and shot down a 3 foot safe passing law in Washington

Agreed, AAA has been active in lobbying against pedestrian and bicycle friendly initiatives.

AAA is not your friend.

This. AAA is not an organization that has bicyclists' or pedestrians' well-being at heart, at all.

Tony T
05-01-2014, 08:50 AM
"This…." is not surprising, is it?
As cyclists and drivers, we should voice our support of cyclists to AAA (as I don't think that they read this forum :))

At least they are taking a step in the right direction now. Does any other Auto club offer roadside assistance to cyclists?

Mr. Pink
05-01-2014, 09:47 AM
AAA is not your friend. If you want insurance to pick you up in the event of a breakdown try http://velosurance.com/

Well, sure sounds like they're going to be my friend if I'm some distance from home or car and just broke something on the bike.

I know that they don't have a stellar record when it comes to bicycle use on the roads, but, this can't hurt.

4Rings6Stars
05-01-2014, 09:51 AM
Well, sure sounds like they're going to be my friend if I'm some distance from home or car and just broke something on the bike.

I know that they don't have a stellar record when it comes to bicycle use on the roads, but, this can't hurt.

Agreed.

And AAA was certainly my friend when the transmission died in my wife's car and it needed to be towed ~50 miles to the dealer.

Or the countless times when I was a kid and my parents' old jalopies broke down...or when I bought a project car and had them tow it from the seller's house to mine...

leftyfreak
05-01-2014, 10:25 AM
"This…." is not surprising, is it?
As cyclists and drivers, we should voice our support of cyclists to AAA (as I don't think that they read this forum :))

At least they are taking a step in the right direction now. Does any other Auto club offer roadside assistance to cyclists?

Yes, www.betterworldclub.com has been doing roadside assistance with a bicycle component for years. Many people use them as an alternative to AAA, myself included, and I have been most happy with their car-related service. Never seen the need to use their bicycle offerings personally.