PDA

View Full Version : Merlin XL hourglass headtube

pitonpat
04-30-2014, 04:48 PM
I seem to remember disparaging comments about the so-called hourglass headtube used on some Merlin XL's. Some reason I should not like this element of the frame pictured? Thanks.

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697880144&stc=1&d=1398894363

firerescuefin
04-30-2014, 04:59 PM
Nothing wrong with that headtube.

When they came out, they always needed to be adjusted, but that had more to do with the crappy headset. You can use the Cane Creek IS 110 headset using the original pressed in cups which will work great...or even better use the King Inset (which is a better solution). Both will make you very happy.

eddief
04-30-2014, 05:30 PM
those bulbs look dorky, kinda like last years's Mazda3 smiley face.

pitonpat
04-30-2014, 05:57 PM
I kinda understand the dorky thing... aesthetics matter. For example, I find a level top tube a must & dislike the 44mm headtube of some Firefly ti frames. For some reason the headtube on this Merlin doesn't bother me...as long as I'll always be able to get parts for it!

Black Dog
04-30-2014, 06:20 PM
Parts will not be an issue if you use the cane creek or king. This merlin head tube and the same ones that litespeed made were notorious for creaking.

firerescuefin
04-30-2014, 08:24 PM
those bulbs look dorky, kinda like last years's Mazda3 smiley face.

Certainly looks no worse (IMO Better) than the oversize headtube stuff I see being put out by quite a few makes.

atl001
04-30-2014, 08:46 PM
I recall that Litespeeds with that same head tube were prone to cracking at the headtube welds. (I believe Litespeed was making Merlin frames at that time.)

dnades
05-01-2014, 12:17 PM
I seem to remember that people weren't that happy with an inset headset's longevity at that time. Everything else about the frame is bulletproof and here 'they' were putting in a substandard headset - seemed to be the general gist of things. Seems like King and CC took care of that possibility though. My TR Works frame has a standard headtube/headset relationship and it works great. Probably a lot more cost effective to use a standard straight head tube rather than an uber shaped one that the XL used. Different strokes for different folks as they say.