PDA

View Full Version : Anyone change from an Ultegra Pedal to Dura Ace and have adjust seat height?

bikser
04-30-2014, 02:30 PM
In my case I changed over the winter from an Ultegra 6700 carbon pedal to the 9000 as I wanted the wider version. After a bike fit, ended up adjusting my seat down around 7mm's. Seemed strange to the fitter and myself, we could see possibly a couple mm difference (due to the needle bearings on the DA). Thats really the only variable from previous fits unless my legs are shrinking.

Just wondering if anyone else had a similar experience.

And, I just realized this may belong in the fit section, so mods feel free to move it if necessary.

ptourkin
04-30-2014, 02:40 PM
I haven't but I know a pro track/steher/6 day guy who noticed and had to adjust because of the different stack height. He rides different bikes during a single event.

ariw
04-30-2014, 03:12 PM
I can't remember which direction, but yes, I did have to adjust as well.

-Ari

GregL
04-30-2014, 04:03 PM
Yes. I have two road bikes with identical geometries and contact points (except for the pedals). Same saddles, bars, stems, and crank lengths. The bike with the Dura Ace pedals has a saddle height ~1 mm lower than the one with the Ultegra pedals.

- Greg

echelon_john
04-30-2014, 04:15 PM
~1mm!?

Mine moves more than that depending what I had for lunch!

hida yanra
05-02-2014, 03:51 PM
interesting question- I've got both those at home, I'll look today and see what my top-of-pedal-to-seat measurement works out with a pedal swap.

benitosan1972
05-02-2014, 05:03 PM
1mm is splitting hairs. I'll bet you wouldn't notice a difference. Less science, more riding :)

05-02-2014, 09:25 PM
It's more like 3 mm in my experience. The housing of the Ultegra is larger than that of the Dura Ace so the contact plate ends up higher on the Ultegra. This is caused in part by different bearing sets, but they don't really contribute to the overall height. I think Shimano just wanted a little more bulk and sturdiness to the Ultegra pedal. I made the mistake once, sold the Ultegras, and now am back to one standard pedal again.

hida yanra
05-03-2014, 12:58 PM
checked mine last night, looks like |2.xx| mm difference, that's enough to notice for the "princess and the pea" types, which I sadly am.

The stack height between 6700 & 6800 pedals was within 1mm or so, close enough that I swap between those two and never notice the difference.