PDA

View Full Version : Tourist / Cyclist collision on Golden Gate Bridge

sngk
04-30-2014, 01:18 PM
SF CL has a post up seeking witnesses to an unfortunate crash on the Golden Gate Bridge.

I saved the ad on Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140430180355/http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/4438467260.html

I'm not trying to provoke an armchair QB session, show trial, or nasty business of any kind. What concerns me is the suggestion that Park Police are not trustworthy when reporting bike crashes on the Bridge.

I don't blame the tourist for gawking at scenery (how could you not gawk?) and I don't blame the cyclist for trying to get across quickly. Anyone bicycling on the GGB accepts some risk of a crash like this; it's a madhouse and will probably remain so. I can accept that risk. But it seems like inaccurate police reports create a rabbit hole to lawsuit wonderland.

Anyone had the bad luck to experience this? Near misses?

Mr. Pink
04-30-2014, 02:07 PM
SF CL has a post up seeking witnesses to an unfortunate crash on the Golden Gate Bridge.

I saved the ad on Wayback Machine:

http://web.archive.org/web/20140430180355/http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/4438467260.html

I'm not trying to provoke an armchair QB session, show trial, or nasty business of any kind. What concerns me is the suggestion that Park Police are not trustworthy when reporting bike crashes on the Bridge.

I don't blame the tourist for gawking at scenery (how could you not gawk?) and I don't blame the cyclist for trying to get across quickly. Anyone bicycling on the GGB accepts some risk of a crash like this; it's a madhouse and will probably remain so. I can accept that risk. But it seems like inaccurate police reports create a rabbit hole to lawsuit wonderland.

Anyone had the bad luck to experience this? Near misses?

I have had encounters with the many type A a h***s who hammer across the GWB. I try to be polite, slow down, and, hell, I like to enjoy the scenery, too. Not exactly a place to be in a small paceline, which I have seen more than once. But, no, for some people, it's always a competition, I guess, even if it's a bike path where families gather or a thin, two way bridge crossing, like the GWB.
So, I guess I don't have too much sympathy for this person. I've been across that bridge a few times, and it isn't the kind of place to be going so fast that one can't avoid a stupid tourist, because, c'mon, it a stupid tourist attraction, full of stupid tourists, dummy! The cop rightfully assumed who was in the wrong.

54ny77
04-30-2014, 02:18 PM
having lived in san fran for awhile, i've been across the gg bridge a gazillion times on bike and saw an increasing trend of folks using it as part of their training route.

it's just really frigign' stupid to do so. sometimes you're gonna go nowhere (stopped), sometimes you're gonna go 5 mph, sometimes you could go 15 mph coasting with a tailwind alone (assuming no other bike traffic).

as the above poster mentioned, it's a global TOURIST destination. enjoy the scenery, don't ride fast. and be careful.

brando
04-30-2014, 02:22 PM
SF Park Police falsified the report. They weren't even there, no witnesses listed on the Incident Report, and I was issued a $275 ticket two weeks after the collision.

This story doesn't make sense. Who made the report if the cops weren't there? Two weeks later, what? Who collected her info to send her a ticket?

Did I miss something? Also, the incident was on "Feb. 15th at about 3pm" and now we see a cl post on April 24?

I ride ggb a lot and it's a cluster. Absolutely, the gawkers and wobbly rental-bike doofuses are to blame, but what are you going to do? Gotta deal, just like everywhere you ride.

gngroup
04-30-2014, 02:34 PM
I ride ggb a lot and it's a cluster. Absolutely, the gawkers and wobbly rental-bike doofuses are to blame, but what are you going to do? Gotta deal, just like everywhere you ride.

Exactly. Though the guys trying to 'hammer it' across the bridge don't help. Basically, it's a complete mess when it's busy. Best to go slow and keep your hands on the hoods!

oldpotatoe
04-30-2014, 03:15 PM
This story doesn't make sense. Who made the report if the cops weren't there? Two weeks later, what? Who collected her info to send her a ticket?

Did I miss something? Also, the incident was on "Feb. 15th at about 3pm" and now we see a cl post on April 24?

Nice....maybe ban those, admit 'pros' only??

ultraman6970
04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
Wobbly rental-bike doofuses are always f..ing around, not only in the golden gate bridge, they are everywhere. Last week an old lady like 70 y/o crossed from side to side our bike path w/o looking back before. I was not training and pretty much had to stop the guy that was with me because I have good nose for crap like that. She was with her daughter (i believe) and the husband.

The funny thing is that people can drive a car an follow all the rules, look behind before doing something, but when they have to ride a bicycle they forgot everything, the worse thing is that they complain when some crap happens. then you wonder if those "Einsteins" got their degrees in a bingo night or maybe in a lotto scratch or in a b-day goodies bag maybe.

Hope this dude finds the person is looking for, as for the cops involved... well... no comments.

sngk
04-30-2014, 03:19 PM
WRT the delay: I think the ad has been posted a few times. Don't know when it originally went up.

I agree that the story has a lot of gaps. Was hoping that someone had information on how GGB park police handle collisions like that, Gxd forbid I ever tangle with one of the tourist rental-bike wobblers.

It is really crazy to see people hammering through what is basically a crowded multi-use path. There's plenty of road on the other side, right? Slow and vigilant is the only reasonable way to ride the bridge.

Truth be told I blame the hammering locals more than the tourists. Most of the rental bike people don't know what they're in for. I bet Sausalito has the highest per capita occurance of trunk-rack equipped taxis on earth.

Ralph
04-30-2014, 03:46 PM
I've walked across that bridge a couple times, but can't remember if it has a dedicated separate bike path, or is it just a multi use path used by all? I seem to recall a separate bike path. If so, it probably has posted rules. Speed limits, yield instructions, keep to right, etc. He was or was not breaking the rules, if there were any.

But if just a multi use path, then injured cyclist would have been at fault. Just going too fast for even stupid conditions (tourists about).

We have hundreds of miles of multi use trails around here. They are not dedicated bike trails, although some riders seem to think so. They are for all to use. Stupid tourists, kids learning to ride, people walking dogs, mom's jogging behind strollers, walkers, residents of a local independent living center, etc. I love our trails, use them to get places, but they are not for fast riding.

DukeHorn
04-30-2014, 04:09 PM
I don't understand hammering on the GGB. You have the two basically blind dogleg(ish) turns at the towers where you have no clue what's coming from the opposite direction. I've seen rides in the early morning that sprint across but at 3pm it's a prime time cluster@#$@.

pdmtong
04-30-2014, 04:10 PM
in the situations where both pedestrian and bike traffic are on the same side, IMHO it is incumbent on the cyclist to ride to avoid ANYTHING.

As noted, this is a huge tourist destination for all the obvious reasons. You may be going 5 mph behind a tourist and they suddenly just STOP. People are all over the place. riding clipped in is an invitation to disaster in those situations.

Not to mention the chaos that can be when riding around the towers to find some bike idiot going 15mph+.

Even the people on tourist bikes may not be experienced bike riders. I once saw a woman lose control and crash into the railing on the straight.

Its amateur hour...so you have to beware.

shovelhd
04-30-2014, 04:14 PM
I blame Strava. :)

blessthismess
04-30-2014, 04:21 PM
I've walked across that bridge a couple times, but can't remember if it has a dedicated separate bike path, or is it just a multi use path used by all? I seem to recall a separate bike path. If so, it probably has posted rules. Speed limits, yield instructions, keep to right, etc. He was or was not breaking the rules, if there were any.

But if just a multi use path, then injured cyclist would have been at fault. Just going too fast for even stupid conditions (tourists about).

We have hundreds of miles of multi use trails around here. They are not dedicated bike trails, although some riders seem to think so. They are for all to use. Stupid tourists, kids learning to ride, people walking dogs, mom's jogging behind strollers, walkers, residents of a local independent living center, etc. I love our trails, use them to get places, but they are not for fast riding.

The west side of the bridge is supposed to be bike only but has been basically closed most of the time for the last two years or so. The east side, with scenic panoramic city views has now become a "multi use" as well as "multi direction" path. It is a recipe for disaster even without the aforementioned people involved.

bobswire
04-30-2014, 04:28 PM
I blame Strava. :)

http://www.strava.com/segments/explore#location/Golden%20Gate%20Bridge%20/type/cycling/min/0/max/5/surface/undefined/center/37.81992,-122.478907/zoom/15/map_type/terrain

bfd
04-30-2014, 04:34 PM
[QUOTE=blessthismess;1540574]The west side of the bridge is supposed to be bike only but has been basically closed most of the time for the last two years or so. [QUOTE]

Actually, the west side is now open to cyclists on weekdays from 3:30pm to 9pm and weekends & holidays from 5am to 9pm:

http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php#bikes

Living in SF, I ride across the bridge at least once a week and it can be very crowded with all the rental bikes trying to cross. That is why most "serious" cyclists try to get out early and are coming back by noon-ish! Good Luck! :eek::butt::mad:

blessthismess
04-30-2014, 04:48 PM
[QUOTE]

Actually, the west side is now open to cyclists on weekdays from 3:30pm to 9pm and weekends & holidays from 5am to 9pm:

http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php#bikes

:

Right on, well thats great they opened it back up but I guess it makes the accident on the bridge that much more unfortunate. There is some amazing riding once you get across but yeah it's a real nightmare trying to get there.

plattyjo
04-30-2014, 04:55 PM
I used to feel frustrated by the amount of people on the GGB whenever I'd cross over to Marin. But I eventually realized that I really should just go slowly, take in the views (as they're stunning) and get into the mindset of the tourists, pedestrians and locals as they have the right idea. There's plenty of time to hammer elsewhere in safer conditions!

sngk
04-30-2014, 05:10 PM
http://www.strava.com/segments/explo...p_type/terrain

Yikes

gngroup
04-30-2014, 05:34 PM
[QUOTE=blessthismess;1540574]That is why most "serious" cyclists try to get out early and are coming back by noon-ish! Good Luck! :eek::butt::mad:

+1. Early out and early back = much less headache on the bridge!

bicycletricycle
04-30-2014, 05:45 PM
I used to commute everyday on that bridge. Just got to take it easy and ride slow, no reason to be in a rush.

etu
04-30-2014, 06:30 PM
hate riding on the GGB

i shattered my left shoulder blade there 10 years ago. how? not by running into a tourist, but a HEAD ON with another cyclist hammering the opposite way.

on a narrow, multi-use path with distracted pedestrians, it makes no sense to go fast. also, it is very loud from all the car traffic. if your ride is so short that taking it easy on the bridge will ruin your workout, you should be doing hill repeats either in the Presido or the Marin Headlands.

lastly, come on Bay Area folks! the GGB is an iconic national monument to be shared with the rest of the world. do we really want that family from Kansas to go back home telling stories about a rude cyclists that spewed expletives at them on the bridge?

when i need to get into to the "zen" mode, i look for couple or families on the bridge who are taking photos and offer to take the picture for them. after that, something clicks, and it's easier to soft pedal rest of the way.

sngk
04-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Nobody is telling horror stories about park police interactions, citations, fines, insurance headaches, etc. So maybe the original Craigslist post was exaggerated or a case of extremely bad luck.

54ny77
04-30-2014, 06:46 PM
coming back from rides (back into the city) the tailwinds were occasionally insane! as in, having to use the brakes to slow down.

the assclowns who'd fly wide around the tower turns, that drove me nuts. (for those who haven't been on there, i'm referring to the big towers on both ends. the bike path on the west side has super tight 90-degree turns to get around them, no room for error, and very slippery.)

plenty of "accidental" hip checks from me over the years...

;)

I used to commute everyday on that bridge. Just got to take it easy and ride slow, no reason to be in a rush.

Fatty
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Kind of reminds me of the Chicago lakefront path. Today would be the day to hammer on it. High 40 degree temps, a little drizzley rain and cold breeze of the lake. Not many people , less if you get away from Navy pier and the museums. Now add a little sunshine and warmer temps and there will be so many people your head will spin. Crowds of tourists, locals just getting out walking and jogging, roller bladers, dog walkers and we cant leave out the gang bangers who block the whole path. Not the place to blast the big ring and expect people to melt out of your way , plus most everyone has a headphone stuck in there ear or is concentrating on the smart gadget they are holding.

Fatty
05-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Nobody is telling horror stories about park police interactions, citations, fines, insurance headaches, etc. So maybe the original Craigslist post was exaggerated or a case of extremely bad luck.
Or maybe she just wants to hook up with Rueben.

Ahneida Ride
05-01-2014, 01:30 PM
I have had encounters with the many type A a h***s who hammer across the GWB.

Arent' their signs stating that cyclist must walk their bikes across
the GWB ?

I do know that at one time their were.

Mr. Pink
05-01-2014, 01:35 PM
If there is, that's is a very ignored sign.

bfd
05-01-2014, 01:39 PM
Arent' their signs stating that cyclist must walk their bikes across
the GWB ?

I do know that at one time their were.

There use to be signs on the tower stating that cyclists must walk their bikes around the towers. Now the "official" line is:

"Cyclists MUST yield to pedestrians and use caution in the areas of the towers as there is limited space to maneuver and sight distances are constrained."

link: http://goldengatebridge.org/bikesbridge/bikes.php

cookietom
05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
My wife and I ran on Golden Gate Bridge today and I see some very aggressive riders such as speeding. What you expect when there are lots tourist walking and taking pictures without looking out for the bike zooming by?? I rather ride somewhere where it is safe. I rode on the other side few times and I really don't feel safe. Try ride at Disneyland park.

Hindmost
05-01-2014, 02:38 PM
There was a time when the high railing between the sidewalk and roadway wasn't there, just a high curb. That coupled with the winds used to scare the bejesus out of me.

Bostic
05-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I grew up in SF and have crossed the bridge at all times of day and night since the early 90's. As mentioned before, best to leave early and come back early. The west side on the weekends is usually absolute gridlock with all the Blazing Saddles bike rentals. I thought the towers still had the signs on them that said Bicycles must be walked around towers?

When my wife and I ride our tandem across the bridge we dismount shortly before the towers and walk the bike around. There are just too many people trying to zoom around tourists with cameras pointed upwards taking pictures.

PoppaWheelie
05-11-2014, 10:50 PM
It's a lovely thing, but that bridge is a cycling disaster. I'd love to know the frequency filed accident reports. I just cannot see how the bridge authority can begin to justify constraining both cycling and pedestrian traffic to the east side during the weekday bankers hours. Is it really THAT much cheaper?

I cross the bridge most days and am careful as can be. Still, I've averaged one significant problem a season for a few years. The last one was three weeks ago...an eff'ing jerk on a road bike with earbuds got tired of waiting to get around a group of tourists going his direction. I had the opposing right of way but he clearly though I should have yielded. He put pulled out, dropped his shoulder and literally hockey checked me into the fence. By the time I got off the ground, turned around and got back on my bike he was long gone. Never mind I could have been seriously hurt (as in prior year when an excited pedestrian jumped in front of me) but the thing that really bugs me is that I would have honestly tried to knock the crap out of him had I had the chance. That's never a good place to be, unless you're The Badger.

Anyway, I always assume the worst since it seems to be not infrequently true. I can't say I feel any better reading here that some of you have had head on collisions with other riders. Yikes! I constantly worry about that scenario.

Stay safe...

deanster
05-11-2014, 11:40 PM
The hammers have no business on shared "pathways" including the GGB. The bridge is a tourist attraction and generates income for the State. If the hammers persist they will ruin it for everyone. The law CAN change. I was stationed at Ft Baker and remember when cycling Wasn't allowed. When the bridge opened to cyclists I remember how great it was to ride across the bridge sanely. Please use common sense.

r_mutt
05-12-2014, 12:31 AM
how do we know if said rider was hammering across the bridge?

i think you guys are presuming guilt.

daveyboychu
05-13-2014, 11:00 PM
Just had a collision happen today, was coming back towards SF, and made a pass, 5-8 miles per hour past a Blazing saddles tourist, didn't see until the last minute and got slammed into by another cyclist going a little too fast. Nobody's hurt thankfully, but really people please slow down and don't sprint the bridge. Also, you think you're yelling loud enough for the guy to hear you, but I guarantee you it's not louder than the 50 cars going over and a gust of wind.

Thankfully, everything is okay and no animosities left. Just wanted to share my humbling experience and reminder to be safe! My steel allez is done for though.. Oh well.. :bike:

And if you're on this forum, Again, I apologize..

fogrider
05-14-2014, 01:12 AM
at both ends of the bridge there are blind spots and tourist like to take in the view, then without thought, they cross into oncoming traffic. I was nearly taken out by a scout leader four weeks ago. on the weekdays, the west side is closed until 3 (it's used by maintenance crews) and the east side is multi use.

the problem is that riders reflect society...there are riders that are jerks and there are riders are responsible.

as others have said, get out early and get back early.