PDA

View Full Version : Fork Suggestions?

AngryScientist
04-30-2014, 06:29 AM
I just scored a moots pscchlo-x with track ends that i will be running as a fixie. plan is to do some real long distance stuff this year and next with it.

I would ideally like to use a road fork, with long reach brakes to accomodate 28c tires and/or fenders. i'm open to carbon or steel. i vastly would prefer to use a longer reach caliper brake over a canti brake, and disks are definitely NOT an option i want to explore, thoughts?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODIyWDgyNQ==/z/4cIAAMXQ74JTV~LA/$_57.JPG

Black Dog
04-30-2014, 06:37 AM
nice score. Your 1st job is going to be finding out what rake of fork moots intended for the geo of that sweet ride. I hope that it does not limit your road fork options. Will this bike relegate the cinelli?

AngryScientist
04-30-2014, 06:42 AM
yes, i guess i need to determine rake needed.

this will definitely not replace the cinelli, but the bridgestone i've been riding as a long distance bike. the cinelli is a skinny tire fast bike, this should be a more plush, fat tire, fendered ride. i'm pretty stoked to get it built up.

sandyrs
04-30-2014, 06:54 AM
A road fork will have a much shorter axle-crown than the cyclocross fork that the bike was likely designed around. Using, for example, the Wound Up light touring fork will give an A-C of 376mm, while a normal CX fork has an A-C of about 395mm.

Maybe a spacer on the crown race could fix this? I'm not sure I've seen one that long though.

nighthawk
04-30-2014, 07:00 AM
I believe Moots built all the Psychlo-X frames with a 47mm rake in mind... and a 395mm A-C like Sandyrs mentioned.

thirdgenbird
04-30-2014, 07:03 AM
I was going to say wound up before I opened this.

Not sure on pricing, but I think they will do a custom A-C.

If the crown is the same, you may also be able to run a caliper on the cross fork and just unthread the cantilever mounts. This would be the most flexible option.

Javaman
04-30-2014, 07:04 AM
That thing looks brand new!

Javaman
04-30-2014, 07:05 AM
oh and an Enve fork with definitely look right IMO.

happycampyer
04-30-2014, 07:10 AM
I believe Moots built all the Psychlo-X frames with a 47mm rake in mind... and a 395mm A-C like Sandyrs mentioned.

As others have mentioned, a Psychlo-X almost by definition was designed to be used with a 'cross fork, with the dimensions nighthawk and Sandyrs describe. Using a fork designed for mid-reach brakes would throw off the geometry (most touring forks are at least a cm shorter).

I would get an Enve fork, but Wound-Up gives you more otptions (e.g., you could have Moots add fender mounts, and get a WU fork with fender mounts, etc.).

oldpotatoe
04-30-2014, 07:16 AM
I just scored a moots pscchlo-x with track ends that i will be running as a fixie. plan is to do some real long distance stuff this year and next with it.

I would ideally like to use a road fork, with long reach brakes to accomodate 28c tires and/or fenders. i'm open to carbon or steel. i vastly would prefer to use a longer reach caliper brake over a canti brake, and disks are definitely NOT an option i want to explore, thoughts?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODIyWDgyNQ==/z/4cIAAMXQ74JTV~LA/$_57.JPG

Go see a Waterford dealer if possible and have them make you a fork. I did that more than once while in the shop(Vecchio's)...made various forks for other frames, some were Moots, one was mine(Vamoots with track dropouts, spec'ed a cross fork so I could do fat tires and canti brakes...easy..).

happycampyer
04-30-2014, 07:25 AM
Go see a Waterford dealer if possible and have them make you a fork. I did that more than once while in the shop(Vecchio's)...made various forks for other frames, some were Moots, one was mine(Vamoots with track dropouts, spec'ed a cross fork so I could do fat tires and canti brakes...easy..).In order to fill the span that this frame was almost certainly designed for, the fork needs to be ~395mm tall. Is it possible to make a fork that tall and use a caliper brake that will reach the rims on a 700C rim (i.e., is there a caliper that long)? The Seven touring fork has a span of 381mm, and that's pretty typical of carbon touring forks that take mid-reach brakes. Steel forks that are designed for mid-reach calipers don't typically need to be that tall.

oldpotatoe
04-30-2014, 07:34 AM
In order to fill the span that this frame was almost certainly designed for, the fork needs to be ~395mm tall. Is it possible to make a fork that tall and use a caliper brake that will reach the rims on a 700C rim (i.e., is there a caliper that long)? The Seven touring fork has a span of 381mm, and that's pretty typical of carbon touring forks that take mid-reach brakes. Steel forks that are designed for mid-reach calipers don't typically need to be that tall.

Yep, just did that right before I left. The height ended up in the crown and some in the fork legs...used a Paul Racer brake, center mount..center pull,mid reach....

BUT I agree..a cross fork with mini-vs or Paul Minis would be easier and probably look better...off the rack, type fork.

christian
04-30-2014, 07:43 AM
Don't muck up a nice bike.

395mm a-c, 47mm rake cyclocross fork.
TRP 8.4 mini-v's

Done.

sandyrs
04-30-2014, 08:03 AM
Don't muck up a nice bike.

395mm a-c, 47mm rake cyclocross fork.
TRP 8.4 mini-v's

Done.

Seconded, except Paul Mini-Motos.

joosttx
04-30-2014, 08:15 AM
Igleheart would make you a fine fork.

Second, enve cross fork. They have a 47mm rake Have parlee fabricate some fender eyelets for you. They did this to mine and it's sweet.

thirdgenbird
04-30-2014, 08:26 AM
Waterford does sound like a fine idea.

donevwil
04-30-2014, 11:01 AM
Potts Type II with Paul Mini-Motos. Looks and rides awesome on a Ti frame.

grailedmund
04-30-2014, 11:28 AM
enve fork!

EDS
04-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I would hit that with the moots painted to match fork and call it a day. Maybe a Hunter supercrown if you need fender mounts.

Cat3roadracer
04-30-2014, 05:25 PM
Put me in line when you are ready to sell it.

54ny77
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
long & low, ese.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Mzk3WDUxMA==/$T2eC16Z,!zQE9s3stvK9BQ2firm0SQ~~60_35.JPG

http://www.bicycledesigner.com/images/cms/lowrider-bicycle-21_400x400.jpg

AngryScientist
04-30-2014, 06:19 PM
OK, i think i'm on the hunt for a steel CX fork. any ideas for something decent stock?

thirdgenbird
04-30-2014, 06:29 PM
OK, i think i'm on the hunt for a steel CX fork. any ideas for something decent stock?

Vicious and tange both have straight blade forks with an A-C OF 400mm

If you go steel, I think it should be segmented. It's not stock, but an igleheart would look fantastic and could be made to the proper spec.

vav
04-30-2014, 06:30 PM
http://www.viciouscycles.com/forks.php3

tuscanyswe
04-30-2014, 06:34 PM
As others have pointed out the ac and rake may make it hard to find a suitable fork + moots have pretty steap hta (atleast on the larger size) compared to many other cross bikes making it even worse to put a shorter fork on it as it would further increase the hta.

You would want a fork with very low rake if you were to go that route.

If makes a nice steel cross fork imo, if you find 2 give me the heads up on the 2nd one .)

christian
04-30-2014, 07:42 PM
Nick, I have a black steel All-City Nature Boy CX fork that I can sell you for $75 shipped including CK crown race and a star nut. Nice shape and has fender mounts. Can ship from work tomorrow.