PDA

View Full Version : My Spring Build: Gunnar Crosshairs

DCW
04-29-2014, 09:15 PM
A few weeks ago I took a Friday off work to finally build up my Gunnar Crosshairs. Many thanks to Forum members who helped with some guidance along the way!

As some of you know, I bought the frame on Ebay a few months ago (My first E-bay purchase, and overall a fine experience!), and slowly amassed the components: Mostly stuck with Ultegra - compact crank, medium cage RD, and touring pedals. Saved some money by going with 105 handles though, and used it to splurge on a new Ultegra wheelset for when the roads are clear. Selle Italia seat and wrap, with 3T Ergonova handlebar, and 3T pro stems. :banana:

This is my first steel bike, and it's fantastic! On the inaugural weekend, I put 700x35 tires on an old Mavic Aksium wheelset and took it on a 60 mile ride through dirt trails, gravel roads, country roads cratered by spring melt, county highways, and a bike trail ... the whole time it purred. Now that the ice, salt, and most of the winter grit have been washed down by a few rain storms, I put the new Ultegra wheelset on (pics below) which should be even better!

Thanks again for all who helped along the way! I'm really looking forward to putting many K miles on this bike! :hello:

JAGI410
04-29-2014, 10:06 PM
Gorgeous! That looks like a mighty fine ride!

bobswire
04-29-2014, 10:13 PM
Nice build, nice frame,must be a great ride.

KidWok
04-29-2014, 11:17 PM
I've had a handful of gunnars now...Some of the best riding steel bikes I've ever owned. About to get my Crosshairs back from powder coat.

Tai

Fishbike
04-30-2014, 06:48 AM
Terrific build. Always gotta love orange. There is not a whole heck of a lot that bike can't do. Enjoy!

oldpotatoe
04-30-2014, 06:58 AM
Well made, many models, great company, not expensive as compared to many
USA made steel frames. True Temper tubes, Only about $900-$1000 for a frame, Richard scored a win with these a long time ago and along with Waterford frames, are one of the premier frame builders in the USA....along with a great dealer network. Altho they DO make a lot of frames, they still retain a kinda small builder mentality..if ya want to call and chat with Richard(or Johanna, very able number 2) or even Mark Mueller, head builder, you can.

Javaman
04-30-2014, 07:09 AM
Nice! Sold my Gunnar Roadie few months ago and now I am definitely regretting it. I just might post a WTB for a Crosshairs. ;) Enjoy!

DCW
04-30-2014, 07:15 AM
Well made, many models, great company, not expensive as compared to many
USA made steel frames. True Temper tubes, Only about $900-$1000 for a frame, Richard scored a win with these a long time ago and along with Waterford frames, are one of the premier frame builders in the USA....along with a great dealer network. Altho they DO make a lot of frames, they still retain a kinda small builder mentality..if ya want to call and chat with Richard(or Johanna, very able number 2) or even Mark Mueller, head builder, you can.

Totally agree. Gunnar/Waterford the company seems top notch. When I called Gunnar service to place an order for some color-specific touch up paint to resurface some minor paint nicks left over from the previous owner(a great service for a mere $20 expense), I ended up having a half hour conversation with a supremely knowledgeable and helpful employee. It could have even been one of the gents you mention here. He helped me think through some of the prep work and build components to make the bike shine. And all this even after I told him I bought the frame used - so A++ for customer service!

dawgie
04-30-2014, 07:19 AM
Welcome to the club. I've got an older model Crosshairs that I use for commuting. I love the color of yours.

DCW
04-30-2014, 12:32 PM
Welcome to the club. I've got an older model Crosshairs that I use for commuting. I love the color of yours.

Nice - glad to be part of the club! Is that a compact crank too? i was toying with using this as a commuter for my occasional 25 mile ride into the city, but think I'll save it for weekend rides for the time being...

phoenix
04-30-2014, 01:51 PM
Nice bike! I ride a Crosshairs as well and absolutely love it for any type of riding.

My goal here is not to derail the thread with my question. I thought this could be an appropriate place to ask since this thread will undoubtedly attract Crosshairs people. On a 56cm production Crosshairs, anybody have any luck getting say, a 29 x 1.95 tire in there Monstercross style? I have run a 38 in the rear with clearance still available but it’s been a while.

dawgie
04-30-2014, 07:02 PM
Mine has a 50-34 Shimano compact crank. The largest tires I've used are 35s, but those are RuffyTuffy 28s in the photo. The front fork on mine has massive tire clearance but it's tighter in the back.

Gummee
04-30-2014, 07:15 PM
My 'built April of 04' Crosshairs is 'between component groups' at the moment.

Needs some 6800 or 9000 to build her back up.

Best all-round bike I own. I've raced CX on it. I've mtn biked on it. I've ridden road and gravel on it.

If I had to go to one bike, it'd be a toss-up between that and my Altamira CX

M

KidWok
04-30-2014, 10:02 PM
Nice bike! I ride a Crosshairs as well and absolutely love it for any type of riding.

My goal here is not to derail the thread with my question. I thought this could be an appropriate place to ask since this thread will undoubtedly attract Crosshairs people. On a 56cm production Crosshairs, anybody have any luck getting say, a 29 x 1.95 tire in there Monstercross style? I have run a 38 in the rear with clearance still available but it’s been a while.

Could you even get that past the brake pads without deflating the tires?

Tai

scho74
05-01-2014, 12:19 AM
Solid build DCW. Gunnars are one of the best bang for your buck frames out there. Sure love mine.

Dale Alan
05-01-2014, 02:13 AM
She is a beauty,congrats ! Love the color too.

phoenix
05-03-2014, 10:34 AM
Could you even get that past the brake pads without deflating the tires?

Tai

Yeah, cantis, skys the limit!

bargainguy
05-03-2014, 11:00 AM
Here's mine. Doesn't get as much love these days with three indy fabs in the stable, but a fine ride in 853 steel nonetheless. 105 9-sp triple w/bar ends, leather tape & open pros.