PDA

View Full Version : Light suggestions?

makoti
04-29-2014, 07:40 PM
I need to get some lights for my bike. I want something small & light. I need them to ride through tunnels (not sure of the length, but can't be that long) on a ride I'm doing. Don't want to drop much more than $60-80 on a pair decent lights.
Bright, blinky back that I can either attach to the seatpost, seatstay, or better yet has some sort of clip I can use to hang it on my seatbag. The back I can see using even after the ride, so I'd go higher end on this one.
Front throws enough light to see a reasonable distance, but don't need to light up the night.
So, anyone got anything they have been using that works well & fits the bill?
Thanks.

Louis
04-29-2014, 07:49 PM
I use the Cygolite Hotshot as my daytime taillight blinky, and although it's tiny, it works very well.

Edit: It's USB rechargeable.
Edit 2: Price range is $28-$30

http://www.cygolite.com/products/hotshot_2w.html

http://www.cygolite.com/images/hotshot/3.jpg

sjbraun
04-29-2014, 07:58 PM
Chainlove.com has been blowing out various Leyzyne lights that fall into that price range.

donevwil
04-29-2014, 07:59 PM
Good of you to set a $$ goal so this thread wouldn't go all over the place (Son dyno, B&M, $500, etc).

I've been very happy Lezyne Macro front - Micro rear that I bought as a kit. Rechageable so no batteries and it was exactly $80 shipped (don't remember exactly, but it was on Amazon). The Macro front lights up the road enough for my 12-14 mph fixed commute.

If tunnel legal is your goal the Planet Bike Blinky set is sufficient to be seen and is good quality ($15). Preferred it to my wife's Lezyne Femto set.

makoti
04-30-2014, 12:18 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm tracking Chainlove now. Maybe they will pop up again, soon. Prices looked really good.
donevwil: the rear light mount...how does that work? It looks like the light just kind of sits out there on a bit of a ledge. Is it stable?

Anyone used/know about Knog Blinders? Any good?

JLP
04-30-2014, 12:56 AM
Planet bike sells a package with their super flash tail light and a quite good headlight in that price range. REI even carries it.

Saint Vitus
04-30-2014, 01:37 AM
About clipping blinkys to the back of seat bags, mine (Planet Bike Superflash) has been knocked off twice on rough bumps. I have the attachment clip to mount it on the stay but keep neglecting to do so.

There is a post from a few weeks ago about blinkys with test results and such.

Llewellyn
04-30-2014, 04:31 AM
Thanks for the ideas.

I'm tracking Chainlove now. Maybe they will pop up again, soon. Prices looked really good.
donevwil: the rear light mount...how does that work? It looks like the light just kind of sits out there on a bit of a ledge. Is it stable?

I've got a few of the Knog Blinders of various types. They are bright lights but in my experience they don't stay charged anywhere near as long as Knog claim, which is disappointing. This would probably dissuade me from buying them again.

But they look good.

biker72
04-30-2014, 05:38 AM
About clipping blinkys to the back of seat bags, mine (Planet Bike Superflash) has been knocked off twice on rough bumps. I have the attachment clip to mount it on the stay but keep neglecting to do so.

There is a post from a few weeks ago about blinkys with test results and such.

My Superflash is mounted on the seat post. Great light without having to spend a lot of money.

572cv
04-30-2014, 05:50 AM
For a front light, a little more money gets you the niterider lumina 650 or its current replacement. Great compact set up, has worked very well. Their current 2watt rear blinky can be had in your price range, is roughly on a par with the hotshot, but with nice mounting options and a USB charge cable included. I am happy with this one. Very bright, different brightness settings, A-ok.

PaMtbRider
04-30-2014, 07:49 AM
+1 on the cygolight hotshot.

DCW
04-30-2014, 08:10 AM
I took a chance on the Portland Design Works Danger Zone Taillight, and have been more than satisfied for my early morning commutes and weekend rides. The light is literally eye-ball searing and therefore perfect for visibility from very far away. it has two flash settings and a "full-on" setting. Price was right too - only $25, but does require batteries.

Went with the Cygolite Expilion 800 USB Headlight, which works really well for pre-dawn commutes. It's bright enough to light up total darkness when you need it, but also has a great daytime flash for rush-hour visibility.

donevwil
04-30-2014, 03:01 PM

makoti, I had the same concern, but the rear mount is solid. The rear end of the light's body snaps into the hard plastic, form fitting clamp which is rubber-banded to the post. It has proven very solid, yet super easy to remove the light to charge. No degradation yet in 1 year of use.

I chose Lezyne over Knog merely based on feedback from friends and I'net reviews on quality and reliability.

EvanTA
04-30-2014, 04:12 PM
I got the cygolite metro 300 at an REI attic sale ($10! - i think it's around $40 new) and really, really like it. It's fairly light, charges quickly via USB, plenty bright when fully charged, clips on and off easily which means I can slip it in my pocket when running errands at night.

just picked up a lezyne mega light off chainlove for $100, will use on more serious night rides. thing is a beast, haven't properly tested it yet, but 1,200 lumens, rechargable, wireless, and i'm sold.

grailedmund
04-30-2014, 05:22 PM
serfas thunderbolt!

plugkev
04-30-2014, 05:56 PM
Planet bike sells a package with their super flash tail light and a quite good headlight in that price range. REI even carries it.

Superflash is a great rear light for sure and the combo front works just fine.

I have had terrible luck with Knog. Bought twice and they broke twice.

I use this up front when I need to see. Works great with huge battery life but probably more light than you need. REALLY cheap.

http://www.dx.com/p/t6-xml-t6-3-mode-1200-lumen-white-led-bike-light-with-battery-pack-set-94182#.U2F_YyhkXl8

weisan
04-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Took a chance on this in Amazon, takes a long time to get delivered and when it arrived one of the LEDs doesn't turn on but the one that did is so freakin' bright, it can easily replace my car headlamps. :D
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F372RGK/ref=oss_product

handsomerob
05-01-2014, 12:25 AM
Took a chance on this in Amazon, takes a long time to get delivered and when it arrived one of the LEDs doesn't turn on but the one that did is so freakin' bright, it can easily replace my car headlamps. :D
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F372RGK/ref=oss_product

This one has worked well for me and is very bright. It was recommended in another thread and I believe others were happy with the value.

ATC CREE XML T6 LED 1200 Lumen Bike Light / Bike Bicycle Light HeadLight headLamp with ... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005WPXNQ6/ref=cm_sw_r_udp_awd_dKDytb11PWATS

ceewho
05-01-2014, 11:03 AM
I have a taz 800 from light and motion that I mostly use for commuting. It's really nice except for the battery life having gotten shorter (it's still got really good battery life). The battery is way better than the knogs I've had anyway. They also replaced the strap for me, no questions asked.

I also have a cygolite hotshot which works well except the button is a piece of crap. Waiting for another light and motion sale to replace it...