PDA

View Full Version : Seattle/Western Washington folks

b_drum
04-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Long time lurker. I've added my two cents on a few threads but never introduced myself. I've been living in Olympia for a few years now but am originally from Cape Cod and Stien is the only one here I know personally. But to the topic.

I just built up an older cross bike as my do it all bike, an '89 Alumicross to be exact. Right now it has 28c Paselas but I would love to throw on some 35c and get into the woods. It's the first non-specific road bike I've had since I was a teen.

There seems to be a fair amount of people on the forum from Seattle and surrounding areas, so I'm assuming some of you have experience with the Capital State Forest trail system.

Ride suggestions would be very appreciated. The link below is helpful to an extent, but only shows what % a trail is gravel road or single track. I feel comfortable riding/descending off road, but my mtb knowledge is next to none. In general, does single track imply it's probably too rocky/technical etc. for anything but a bike with mtb width wheels/tires?

Any and all input is appreciated.

-Ben

http://www.capitolforest.com/mtbrideguidepageNEW.html

David Tollefson
04-29-2014, 03:04 PM
I don't have any claim to knowledge of Capitol Forest, but I'm planning a two-day gravel event for 2015 in that area (one day circumnavigating Capitol Forest, and one day north of Cap around Summit Lake, both based at Camp Thunderbird). I'll be doing the final scouting of the routes in mid-June, so look for postings here and on VSalon.

stien
04-29-2014, 03:07 PM
Benjamin!

Offroad that beast on 35s. Would be a hoot. I'd start to worry about doing anything as crazy as rock gardens or jumps though. You could bomb through the woods easily as long as the brakes are solid.

jlwdm
04-29-2014, 08:10 PM
Welcome Ben, I can't help you with the Capitol Forest, but I did live in Olympia for over 30 years.

Jeff

hida yanra
04-29-2014, 08:25 PM
welcome!

much single track is rideable on 32-35s, tread may be pretty helpful on some trails, but slick 35s with lower pressure might also work fine depending on your handling ability.

There are rooty sections in the Cap Forest area that won't be great for you if wet, but I'd say give it a try- plenty of it should be just fine for you.